Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've been a lurker since i was 17. I have a bunch of questions and am looking for personal guidance to match what I am reading in the FAQ and "gun laws" tab.

A little back round, at 18 I joined the Army, I am still active duty. I turned 21 recently and will be coming back to Ga for a month on leave. I want to carry while I am home. I do not have a CCL from any state because I now go to school on a campus in NY. From my understanding of what I have read I should be fine to carry while I apply for my permit, is this correct?

Next question. I will also be in SC and NC for part of my leave, In SC i need to leave it in the car if i leave private residence? In NC they honor GA permits, but since I do not have the permit and only an exemption this would not apply to me?

I look forward to contributing more often and thank you for the insight in advance.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You are correct

Sent from my iPhone using Georgia Packing

·
Proud GCO member.
7,959 Posts
In SC i need to leave it in the car if i leave private residence?
Not sure if your exemptions changes things for you, but for the rest of us the law is very specific about being in the glove box or console, not just the car.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
See above

the helpful folks above have it right.
As a person "in the military service of the State, or the United States" you are legally treated as if you had a GWL when you're in Georgia, even though you don't have it. You don't need it. See O.C.G.A. 16-11-130. You are exempt from some, but not all, of the gun laws of our state.

And you would be eligible for a GWL today (you're over 21 now) if your assigned military base or duty station is here in Georgia, no matter where your permanent home is. Georgia treats military folks stationed her as residents. And of course if you are a resident here, you can get a GWL license here, and it will be good for the full 5-year term, not matter where you move after it's issued to you.

When HB 60 takes effect July 01, 2014, it will allow military personnel who have passed basic training (and who are still serving or have been honorably discharged) to get a Georgia Weapons License, even if they haven't turned 21 yet. Gov. Deal mentioned this specifically today in Ellijay, GA where the HB-60 bill signing ceremony was held.

Georgia's gun laws can be confusing at times, and although it looks like you've got some clear answers to today's questions, keep in mind that we're coming out with a book on this subject. The first few copies have already been shipped from the printer and in a couple of days we'll be ready to sell them ourselves and take orders from businesses that want to stock them and resell them to their customers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more question. most of what i read says that carrying in parks is fine. This is taken from Ga carry
"
Q: Can I carry at a State Park, Historic Area, or Wildlife Management Area?
A:
Yes, including the publicly owned/operated buildings on those lands provided you possess a valid Georgia Weapons License.
Q: Can I carry in a city or county park?
A:
Yes! GeorgiaCarry.Org fought battles with several cities and counties over this issue, and has been victorious each time. State law preempts local ordinances on this issue.
Q: What about the buildings in a city or county park?
A:
Yes, unless the park buildings qualify as “government buildings†under SB308, you may carry in the buildings."

Does this also apply to lake lanier? It is government land and some of what i read says it is a no carry zone. anyone have experience with this?

·
Sentient Member
1,820 Posts
...State Park, Historic Area, or Wildlife Management Area ... city or county park ... buildings in a city or county park ...
Does this also apply to lake lanier?
How could it? Lake Lanier is none of the things listed (State Park, Historic Area, WMA, city park, or county park). It is Army Corps of Engineers territory and, while Georgia has no law concerning it, is is illegal by Federal law to possess a firearm on any CoE land or water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts