Mike Wiggins for Justice, Supreme Court of GA

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Woody_the_Infidel, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Woody_the_Infidel

Woody_the_Infidel New Member

Endorsed by the NRA and running against an incumbent. Don't forget to put a mark next to his name this coming election.

www.mikewiggins.com/index.asp

WIGGINS WINS NRA ENDORSEMENT
    Group says Wiggins will protect constitutional rights

Atlanta, GA – Georgia Supreme Court candidate Mike Wiggins announced today that he has won a key early endorsement from the National Rifle Association.

“We are pleased to endorse Mike for the Court, because we know he will uphold the Second Amendment and the State Constitution for all law-abiding Georgians,†said NRA Political Victory Fund Chairman Chris Cox, adding that “Georgians value their right to own firearms, and Mike Wiggins will steadfastly uphold their Second Amendment freedoms.“

Wiggins thanked the group for its support, saying "I believe strongly that we must preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution and the individual liberties it safeguards, and I am dedicated to that proposition. If we are to remain a nation of laws and not of men, as our founding fathers envisioned, we must protect and defend the individual rights and liberties that historically have been a part of our American tradition and that are set forth in our Constitution.â€

“I have a strong appreciation for our American heritage of private gun ownership and enjoyment of the outdoors. I am pleased to have the NRA’s full backing and will work actively with its members and all Georgians to bring fairness and balance to our Supreme Court," Wiggins continued.

Wiggins graduated first in his class from the University of Georgia School of Law and has served in top positions with the United States Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security. During the course of his legal career, Wiggins has fought to protect the rights of American citizens, helped cut off the support structure for terrorist groups, and represented clients as an attorney in private practice.

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association has over 4 million members.

###

For information, contact:
    Brad Alexander
    brad@paresources.com
    404-375-2849

2. Wiley

Wiley New Member

I would be very interested is seeing his views on:
    in the Georgia Constitution. With special attention to the last word and its definition.

3. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

back to top - VOTE on Tuesday

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

A partner here won't stop with the email endorsements of Wiggin's opponent, Carol Hunstein, so, after the third one this week, in which he announced "What in the world are judicial races coming to?" with a cut and paste attack email on Wiggins praising Justice Hunstein, I replied to his email list with "Indeed, what are they coming to - the NRA is endorsing candidates!" and pasted the NRA endorsement.

There is some deniability there, as my email could be taken as wondering what in the world they are coming to with NRA endorsements and such, but that is unlikely as everybody here already knows I am so far to the right on this issue that I think the NRA is an extremist gun control group like the Brady Center . . .

:wink:

:D

If I am out of a job come next week . . . :lol:

5. Woody_the_Infidel

Thanks. I was going to bump it.

Don't forget to vote!

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Wow, this has really gone negative recently. Seems some tort reform group has been putting out negative ads about Hunstein and telling people to vote for Wiggins.

While I am admittedly bias, I have yet to see anyone officially claiming that Wiggins endorced or approved any of the negative ads against Hunstein. While I know there is no way to prove he had no prior knowledge of what an independent 527 group said about his challenger and the cases she has presided over, the same cannot be said about Hunstein's reply.

A 527 that is backing Wiggins has said that Hunstien is a liberal judge who will not follow Georgia's laws and substitutes her own (she has no official party designated). Which according to an analisys of her judicial transcripts is true for only a very small number of cases, (cherry picking the few cases were she had a case overturned).

In response Hunstein officially appoved a response that ask if this is the kind offamily oriented lawyer you want as a SC judge. He was sued by his mother over money and he later sued his sister which in a sworn affidavit she says he was quick to anger and cussed at her and was often very cross with her, and a few times threatened that he would kill her, all while she was 8 months pregnant. The judge ordered him to not have contact with his sister.
    Hutchens also states that while Wiggins has experience with appeals court at both the state and federal level, he has no expeince in actual trial work in Georgia. The tag line being that trial cases are totally different from appeals cases.

To which Wiggins said that nothing Hunstein had said was untrue, he was sued by his mother in a case in which a 3rd party had ran off with money. It turns out the suit by his mother was just a legal step that had to be made to get the ball rolling against the 3rd party, who paid up and his mother dropped the case.
    Years later when his mom was in a coma, Wiggins sued his sister so that his mom could remain on life support and that her estate would be used for payment of medical bills. The judge ruled that brother and sister could no longer talk to eachother unless through legal council, he ruled in Wiggins favor granting full and total control of his mom's estate and care to Wiggins and ordered his sister to repay her mom's estate $12,000.

So a sitting Georgia Supream court judge sunk to a very low level to be able to hint that Wiggins is unstable and has had legal battles with his family over money (leaving out the fact that mom was so mad at her son that she gave him control of the estate and her health if something happend).

As for Wiggins never having a trial court case in Georgia, that seems to be true. Since many liberals are trying hard to claim that appeals court cases are no substitute for not having trial court experience and is bad for a Judge on the Supreame court of Georgia not to have that experience. As a non lawyer type, I was curious as to how many of Georgia's SC court cases are trials and how many are appeals of the decision of lower courts? I thought all of them would be an appeal of some sort, meaning Wiggins is well versed in that kind of stuff.

It seems the majority of peoples opinion seems to be that a sitting SC Judge would be above stooping to such levels. I mean even if Wiggins did know about the ads prior to them coming out, he at least had sense enough to appear to be refraining from going negative.

Many seemed to believe before this happened that she would probably win. However the opinions have been shifting since she basically turned a family dispute and legal case over who has control over the estate and who should decide whether or not their mom should be pulled off of life support or kept on it, into something that sounds more like a case of domestic violence.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, I have not been fired yet for posting the link to the NRA endorsement. :wink:

What? You mean the Hunstein camp forgot to mention that the sister was trying to kill their momma? :wink: :D

#-o :shakehead:

The answer = about zero and about 100%, in that order.

Hunstein was in the majority ruling that electrocution violates the constitution. Everyone in that majority ought to be thrown off the bench.

8. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

Thanks MP, I've been going back and forth on this race, but that makes it an easy decision.

9. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I remember when I was at some public interest thing at Emory some person on the panel said that she knew him and that we shouldn't vote for him.

That was enough to make me want to vote for him. :D :lol:

10. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

As it turns out my Trademarks professor has known Mike Wiggins for nearly a decade; she's definetly a supporter of his.

11. Woody_the_Infidel

Looks like Wiggins only got like thirty something percent of the vote.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator