Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of trying a MOB (5:00 position), IWB, palm-out holster for my Taurus 24/7 Pro C. After a lot of looking I found one for $30.00+ online; however, I didn't want to pay that much just to see if I'd like that type of carry in that position.

So, instead I bought an Uncle Mike's left-handed IWB holster off of Ebay for less than $15.00 (shipping and handling included) and took it to my local upholstery shop. For an additional $5.00 I got the clip rotated to true vertical and got some additional stitching at the bottom to raise the gun up just a little. [If someone will tell me how to post a photo on here, I'll do that.]

Inital impressions: it is not very comfortable while driving or sitting for extended periods; it hides very well even under an unlined windbreaker; you can't see it at all from the front (you know, the old "open up your coat" routine).

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
If it works, then it works .... as long as you are aware of the documented dangers of wearing in that position.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
If it works, then it works .... as long as you are aware of the documented dangers of wearing in that position.
Links to documented injuries please?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fallschirmjäger said:
Not the small of the back (SOB), right on the spine, but at around the 5:00 (kidney?) position. The website where I found the $30.00+ holster called it middle of the back (MOB).

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
"Documented dangers," not "documented injuries."

TheGunZone SOB carry
TheHighRoad SOB carry
Ruger forum, notably post #6
Officer.com SOB

Leaving aside for the moment the possibility of debilitating spinal injury caused by choice of carry position, the 'palm out' draw is much more difficult to accomplish without the possibility of sweeping one's own body with a loaded weapon in a high stress environment. Bad enough to get shot, but worse still when when you've been shot by you.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
"Documented dangers," not "documented injuries."

TheGunZone SOB carry
TheHighRoad SOB carry
Ruger forum, notably post #6
Officer.com SOB

Leaving aside for the moment the possibility of debilitating spinal injury caused by choice of carry position, the 'palm out' draw is much more difficult to accomplish without the possibility of sweeping one's own body with a loaded weapon in a high stress environment. Bad enough to get shot, but worse still when when you've been shot by you.
Those are palm in. I think he refers to palm out. Think crossdraw but back around the hip at 5 over the kidney. That or I'm reading all wrong.

·
Registered
338 Posts
45_Fan said:
[quote="Fallschirmjäger":3iubdd0o]If it works, then it works .... as long as you are aware of the documented dangers of wearing in that position.
Links to documented injuries please?[/quote:3iubdd0o]

:deadhorse:

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
the 'palm out' draw is much more difficult to accomplish without the possibility of sweeping one's own body with a loaded weapon in a high stress environment. Bad enough to get shot, but worse still when when you've been shot by you.
That's where I sit on this issue. In a high stress situation no way do I want to be sweeping any part of my anatomy with a loaded weapon.

That being said, it's a free country.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It is a very unatural position to be placing your arm. Carry how you wish but it isnt a very good way. When you go to draw your gun your putting your self in danger. With your arm in that manner you are basically putting yourself in a "armbar" situation. Think about it when you get arrested your hands are put behind your back palms out. WHy because it severly limits the rotation fo your arm. All it takes is slight pressure on the bicep with your arm like that and you cannot effectivly draw your gun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think he refers to palm out. Think crossdraw but back around the hip at 5 over the kidney.
You are correct Puffyfish.

I understand the issues and concerns raised by the other posters, but here are the main reasons I'm considering this carry method as one of a few:
1. One of the "hats" I wear involves representing a governmental agency, so I can't carry into either of the two offices I go to.
2. I'm in court up to four days a week and I can't carry there either; plus, I don't want to deal with the potential hassle of trying to explain an empty belt holster to an overzealous bailiff.

On those days when I'm in and out of court and/or the government offices, I can slip this holster on and off as needed.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
rjinga60 said:
I think he refers to palm out. Think crossdraw but back around the hip at 5 over the kidney.

I understand the issues and concerns raised by the other posters, but here are the main reasons I'm considering this carry method as one of a few:
1. One of the "hats" I wear involves representing a governmental agency, so I can't carry into either of the two offices I go to.
2. I'm in court up to four days a week and I can't carry there either; plus, I don't want to deal with the potential hassle of trying to explain an empty belt holster to an overzealous bailiff.

On those days when I'm in and out of court and/or the government offices, I can slip this holster on and off as needed.
There are a million holsters that fit those specific needs without the concerns associated with palm-out small of back carry.

·
Registered
711 Posts
A $700 gun and a $20 holster and one that has been rigged, as well. I'll never understand.
I guess I'm just old fashioned and after all - it's JMO.

But if it works - go for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ABC3 said:
A $700 gun and a $20 holster....
Actually the gun was only $350.00, so the gun to holster ratio is only 0.057 instead of 0.028. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
ChipM said:
rjinga60 said:

There are a million holsters that fit those specific needs without the concerns associated with palm-out small of back carry.
:righton:

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
I would suggest a kydex or quality leather holster over the Uncle Mikes. The UM's are fine in general but for SOB or any other method of carry it is highly desirable IMO to be able to re-holster easily and quickly. Try to re-holster that piece in the UM and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
504 Posts
futureusr said:
I would suggest a kydex or quality leather holster over the Uncle Mikes. The UM's are fine in general but for SOB or any other method of carry it is highly desirable IMO to be able to re-holster easily and quickly. Try to re-holster that piece in the UM and you will see what I mean.
+1

Try crossbreed IWB holsters. Kydex and very comfortable. MOB is unformfortable and a strange draw. I don't want to "laser" any part of me if I had to draw. There just too many variables (shirt snag, re-holster, etc) that rule this method out for me. If it works for you great, but I prefer strongside draw because I can mitigate variables that would other wise be behind my back so to speak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts