Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Adam5, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Does anyone have an extra Microsoft Office product key?

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Do they still do product keys? I've gotten so used to their Office365 and volume licensing programs I didn't know that they still sold full purchase licenses anymore.

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

There are single user versions available. As for extra keys no one should provide one. I have one unused key and CDs for MS Office 95 version but it will not help out because the version is so out of date. There's also software called "Open Office" which is (IIRC) free and will work with MS Office files without problems. The only part not available in Open Office is MS Office Picture Manager which has not been included in the MS Office suite since MS Office 2010. Picture Manager is available as a free download but requires MS Office 2010 or later. You can also purchase license keys for MS Office 2016 from Amazon.com for as little as $120. Buy the key, download the Office suite from Microsoft enter the key and you're good to go.

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I have a couple.. but I think they might not be for the very latest version

ETA My keys are to the 2010 version, not sure they'll work on anything else

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Latest version is MS Office 2019. Which you can also buy a key for from Amazon. Some Keys are $220 but doesn't include Publisher or Access.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My girlfriend has an upgrade disk, but I need a version to upgrade. My new laptop did not come with one.

I’m wondering if I can get the 30 day free trial, upgrade it, then kill the trial before they bill me $99.

7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

If it's less than $100 why not just purchase it legally? If you want to get it free try Open Office.

jag_357 likes this.
  8. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

I know they offer a discounted version to students if you know anyone with a student email

9. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

google docs is free and perfectly functional. Tho I am sure somehere they are scraping all your data. But then someone is most likely scraping all your data regardless.

10. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Or Libre Office, just as good.

11. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Microsoft Office has changed to a subscription model. Depending on the subscription level, you get extras like cloud storage, Teams, etc. Currently this is targeted to organizations, but we are working on a new SKU targeted for home users. Should see that in the next 90 days or so. (I work for Microsoft, but not in the Modern Workplace org.)

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I got one. My girlfriend found her disk for Office 2016 Professional, and multi user product key.

13. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Microsoft Office 365 is the subscription version. Microsoft Office 2019 is not a subscription service package. 365 is in place when people need access to current files as they change world wide or throughout different time zones. Smaller local companies that do not need national or international access to the files can still uses the single user versions. I am currently using Office 2007 Professional and my wife is using 2013. I am considering going to 2019 since it's only around $500 for the professional version. We do not need to share files across networks just on our own home network.

14. jag_357

jag_357 Stuff & Things

Also Libre Office another free product.