Miami to give officers assault weapons

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Rammstein, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Source

great... :?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Only a matter of time before they shoot themselves or an innocent with it.

3. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

What I don't get, is that most of these rifles are stored in the back of the cruiser, locked up. What good is it unless you are going into a situation and know about it before hand.

Pretty soon cops will look like this
    [​IMG]
    Papers, Papers please!
    [​IMG]
    I AM DA LAAW!

how about this thing?
    [​IMG]

4. tace

tace New Member

I think the police officers in Europe have it right. Instead of big bulky rifles, they carry SMGs. Patrol officers, security guards and check point guys carry them all the time.

Personally, I would rather have an MP5 slung over my shoulder than an AR in my trunk.

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

You may be right but Americans are not ready for that yet

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

long gun

To save money and to keep the citizen from being alarmed at the sight of what look like machineguns being brandished by the police, I'd suggest that cops carry the Mini-14 with the conventional wooden stock and a 10 or 20-round magazine. It's not the best combat rifle out there, especially in the factory stock configuration, but it would beat the heck out of a pistol nearly all the time and even a shotgun most of the time (distances beyond 25 yards, or with target behind some cover).[/b]

7. gunsmoker

"Carry"

and I mean vehicle carry, having it on the seat next to them or in the trunk. Not literally on their person as they do routine police duties like directing traffic around an accident scene.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

or...how about the police be....are you ready for this.....peace officers.

Keep the sidearm and keep doing what they've been doing for more than a century.

They are not the military, if they want to be the military Uncle Sugar will take them at any time.

9. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Oh to be young again. :wink:

10. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Yep, just what we need here in America. That will get rid of all the crime in the country. If we will just let our Gestapo...I mean police :wink: carry assault weapons and SMG's, crime will vanish. Especially since we'll be taking back all the weapons currently in private ownership!

Sarcasm off...

I don't understand how we can keep letting this happen. Now instead of bursting into grandma's house on a suspected crack deal, they'll burst in with automatic weapons fire and instead of just killing grandma, they'll also kill grandpa, the dogs, the cats, the parakeet and the next door neighbors kids who are playing outside the house.

11. gunsmoker

Gunning for Grandma

Well, if you're going to limit their choice of weapons by their potential for mis-use by corrupt, dishonest, or just incompetent officers, why even allow them to carry Glocks with full-capacity magazines? Maybe we should limit them to revolvers, .38 special caliber. And they only get one live round, which must be kept in their shirt pocket until they get the Chief's order to load?

Bad guys DO sometimes have rifles and shotguns and machineguns, and they often outnumber police (at least initially, until back-up units arrive).

Why allow the police to be outgunned? I say give 'em a carbine!

12. Taler

Taler New Member

Re: Gunning for Grandma

Barney had an ND, shooting himself in his foot, btw, hence the pocket carry of his round.

Why allow the average citizen to be out gunned? I say give us all a carbine.

De-militarize the police.

13. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

The obvious argument for this is the North Hollywood shootout. A rifle in the back of the squad car may have stopped things much more quickly.

Of course, cops that could hit the broad side of the barn could have done the same thing. Hell, my mother is a better shot than about 90% of the cops in Henry county.

14. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

If we have to give up our AW's if Hillary gets elected I think the cops should get rid of theirs as well. If nobody can have an assault weapon but them, why would they need them?

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Re: Gunning for Grandma

The issue is not the officers having the rifle (like in their trunk) it is them carrying it on their person when they patrol the street.

That is the very meaning of militarization of the police.

16. Sgt.B

Sgt.B New Member

Officers using the weapons in Miami will shoot "frangible" bullets, which shatter after they've hit something to avoid striking bystanders or other unintended targets.

5.56 in a frangible. A weapon I doubt they can accurately engage targets with beyond 100 meters.

If the Miami police wants a rifle they will get a rifle.
    I'll stick with a 7.62x51!

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breakin ... 41164.html

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/arc ... _event.php