Methods of carry for you other stuff

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by jeepsterwannabe, Sep 16, 2007.

1. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

Well, I am sure I am not the only one here who carries more than the weapon itself. I also have in my pockets every day ; a superbright flashlight, voice recorder, cell phone, and 2 extra mags. (besides wallet, checkbook,pen/pencil. pocketknife,and keys. This means that my pockets are getting ripped, the phone, flashlight and voice recorder are constantly getting buttons pushed, sometimes its uncomfortable.
    I have been brainstorming for a better way to tote these items for a couple weeks now and keep coming to the same conclusion, no matter how convenient it would be I am not going to buy a hip-pack.

Any other ideas? My wife has it so easy, she gets to carry a purse....
    should we visit the Manbag idea? seriously though, give me some suggestions...

2. jeepsterwannabe

I guess that would not be considered a hip pack

3. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

If a wife for this sort of thing... :)

4. Riverbend

Riverbend New Member

5.11 Tactical Pants

The 5.11 Tactiacl series of Pants & Vests are a great way to carry
    almost everything but the kitchen sink.
    The vest even has a covert hide out holster for handgun carry and extra magazines.
    The pants will also carry most anything you'd need to carry.
    Vest is good to cover up for a IWB or hip hoslter also, just has that I'm carrying weapons look some may recognize if they are "on the know"
    :roll:

5. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I wear cargo pockets or carry a manbag.

In defense of the manbag... I can get away with it because it's a "bookbag" not a purse.

6. Taler

Taler New Member

Sure...

7. Guest

Guest Guest

As long as there is a pocket for your lipstick :wink:

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

zippered portfolio

Just about any guy can carry a notebook-sized portfolio in most places. Obviously not at all locations, but most.

Portfolio-- you know, they're like a glorified writing pad, but they have a couple of compartments for loose papers, little holders for pens, a calculator, a cellphone, etc. I bought one from a roadside stand for $15, and it's great. Mine is about 10" wide by 14" long and, nominally 1.5 inches thick, although you could probably stuff it to about 2.5 inches thick if you had to.
    It's got a nice zipper to keep everything in (sort of like a purse or briefcase in that way... it certainly would be a "closed container" for Georgia carry laws).

I wouldn't put my pistol in there... I like to keep that on my body. But I would, and have, carried other junk in it, besides the kind of papers that it was intended for. Extra magazines and my key ring and my cellphone and a mini Mag-lite are top contenders for portfolio carry.

P.S. if you think real trouble is coming and you want to pack a 9mm pistol that looks like a submachinegun and uses 32-round magazines, I can tell you that a cheap briefcase ($20) works well, and holds more noisy dangerous things (or quiet dangerous things, depending what you screw onto the muzzle threads) than you can hold with both hands.

9. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Well, give it all to your wife to carry except the gun :)

Or do not carry all that stuff... a voice recorder?????? how many times do you use that... ust use your cell phones voicemail it you need to record anything. Flashlight..during the day????

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

You never go into a building where the power could go out? Have to look behind something? Need to check out a tight spot?

11. jeepsterwannabe

besides the ability to record any interaction with LEO, I also use my voice recorder to "take notes " all day because my memory is not the best when i speak a dozen customers and subcontractors everyday. and the cell phone recorder is not so user friendly, dont have to scroll through 3 menus to use my voice recorder
    this video shows a good reason to have voice recording:
    http://infowars.com/articles/ps/police_ ... _hours.htm

And a flashlight is super useful when I have to look into an attic or under a home, even during the day.
    I guess if I were like you, and based my decision to carry something on "how many times do you use that", I may never carry a firearm, so far I have never had to use it... I must not need to carry it

12. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

There is.

I keep extra batteries for the Surefire in it.

13. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Well I understand better now Jeep.... if you need those things for work. In my line of work I used to carry all my stuff in a doctors bag. If you want something casual yet nice and professional and doesn't look like a man bag. LL Bean sells a great brief case made of canvas. I had one for many years and loved it.

14. jeepsterwannabe

like an old fashioned doctors bag? that would be a hit with me....

15. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Well the one from LL Bean is not like a doctors bag it is more of a canvas breif case. But you can look on line at some EMS sights and I am sure they have canvas doctors bags too. I have one of those also that I used for ages and now sits in my office when it should be in my car for emergencies like car accidents. Hope all this helps you good luck

16. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

A new version of the Manbag from Cross-Breed.

Stencil a few skulls on there, you're good to go :D

FWIW, I'm considering one of these. A new job may be in my near future, and I have no idea how they will feel about daily carry. I won't be able to conceal all day long, so this looks like a good transport option.

17. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I'm considering one of those too. Though I'm not sure how I like the idea of off-the-body carry.

18. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

I don't like it for most situations. This will be used only for travel to and from work and to keep the gun concealed during the work day. My job ranges from sitting at a desk to building stuff to loading out trucks with a forklift. Too many different scenarios for good concealed carry. I'll have to settle for locking it in a drawer while I'm not near it (or getting a small Gun Vault and hiding the installation...).

Between the office door and my car, it'll be ready to go. It also seems to be easier access while in the car. I also keep a generic cover shirt and a paddle holster in the car if I need to carry between work and home.

19. Riverbend

Riverbend New Member

Get a pocket rocket

such as a Kel tec P3AT or a Kahr 9, or many other pocket sized, (better than a knife guns), and get a pocket holdster and you're good to go about anywhere that i9s legal for carry.
    For swimming, one of those tiny NAA 22 LR or Mag withstands salt water tucked inside a speedo and what the heck you might even get a change to bag a great white while sunbathing. :lol: