Messed up big time

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by zetor, Jun 19, 2016.

1. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

I dumped about 1/4 lb of varget in my H110 jug. One of the rules is to never have more than powder at the bench at one time. As soon as I emptied the measure into the jug I knew what I did and had that same feeling you get when you slam the car door and realize your keys are inside. There was a lot of cursing and face palm action going on. This was an almost full 8lb jug of H110.
    I went to wal mart and bought a screen cover for frying pans to try and sift out the varget. I brought it home and tried it but it was too course and the varget fell through. I had a can of spray primer and knew if the holes could be closed up a little, it would work. I carefully applied it...too close and to much and the holes close completely.
    I sifted the entire 8lbs twice and didn't find one varget granule on the second sift.

The H110 is OK, but I think I'm going to toss the varget. There are a few flakes I've seen when I pour it on a white piece of paper and roll it around.

Lesson learned.

Attached Files:

2. GrumpyGramps

GrumpyGramps New Member

I would definitely dump it. Good news is that I saw some 8# jugs of Varget at Adventure Outdoors last week so it's back on the shelf. Bad news is that price was $229

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I suggest you use that 110 for light loads. Way too much chance of sending a finger or 4 downrange to target. That would be bad.

Nemo

4. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I think you have almost 8 lbs of myths to expose or fun science projects for YouTube. If ad revenue helps you recover your loss, then yay! If not, it's still a far cheaper lesson than reloading something with it and getting a KB -- and that's if nobody gets hurt.

The 4th is coming up too. DIY fireworks could be in your future. Just don't use any quantity or materials that would give the ATF pause.

5. zetor

The H110 is clean. Rifle powder in a handgun probably means a squib. A full charge of pistol powder in a rifle means a KB. The varget was tossed.

6. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

IMHO, the only difference between a squib and a KB is that second trigger pull...

7. zetor

That's true and thankfully that will not be an issue as my H110 is clean.