Mercedes Benz Stadium ATL

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by gunsmoker, Mar 4, 2017.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So, today I'm at one of the last events to ever be held at the Georgia Dome stadium.

This appears to be a "government building" because the Georgia World Congress Center Authority ( a public entity, created by government for public purposes) owns it and, reportedly, occasionally holds meetings there.

SO, WHAT ABOUT THE NEW AND BIGGER STADIUM being built next to it-- the MERCEDES Stadium?

Who owns it?

What entity manages and controls it?

Will there be government meetings inside it?

Will it be a so-called gun free zone, off-limits to GWL holders and visitors with reciprocity rights?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. Circuits

Circuits Member

The GWCCA will own it and the Falcons will lease and run it.

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

The GWCCA will probably hold an official meeting inside the stadium once a year to maintain its status as a "government building".

Security-theater style screening will be in use.

There will be ways you can get in legally carrying; just observe and learn where the holes are in the screening.

Remember, even if you get caught in the screening, you can still retreat without any charges and put your weapon up in your car.

ejmoosa likes this.
  4. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

The primary user of the new facility is an NFL team, and as I recall a couple years ago the NFL mandated security theater and gun bans for all their games, even including law enforcement.

The second permanent tenant is going to be a soccer team, and you know those folks aren't going to have anything to do with guns :lol:

Probably the third most common use will be major college sporting events. These events are arguably off-limits by law, and even if not, the event organizers are involved in higher education and will all likely be anti-gun.

So from a practical standpoint, all the major users of the space are extremely anti-gun and will find and fight for any pretext to ban them, regardless of what's written in the law. It's possible that some other group could lease the building for some event and not have security or a gun ban, but it's also possible that they require every lessee to use the same security and rules as they do for sporting events. Given that Philips Arena had walk-through magnetometers in place for the freakin' circus, I'd be inclined to believe the latter.

5. awanatech

awanatech Active Member

It sounds like the primary users should raise their own capital and build their own privately owned facilities. However, in reality, I'm afraid that you are right and they will continue giving the taxpayers the finger and just doing as they please. "State law be damned, we don't want lawful, backgound checked carriers in our building that the taxpayers bought us."

6. Phil1979

You know, the Georgia General Assembly could fix this by redefining government buildings as ONLY the place where a government board is housed, and allow licensed carriers to by-pass security theater.

Either we have been sufficiently vetted, or not. We can already carry in crowds in many other places, so what gives?

7. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

Yea, I went to the Atlanta United inaugural home opener against the New York Red Bulls last night at Georgia Tech. I had to totally disarm before I left the house. No knives, no firearms, no pointy flashlight. *sigh*

:panic:

8. hammerg26

hammerg26 Member

What did they have in place when you got there? Trying to go to pre-season game with a vendor...

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They do not want to fix it.

The lobbying of government entities and users of buildings like this matters more to them than your pesky opinion, you little peasant.

10. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

It's sad that gun owners and gun organizations don't lobby as hard or harder.

11. Malum Prohibitum

What was it the Governor's office said last year? Only 37 people called supporting campus carry? Thousands opposed?

12. Mrs_Esterhouse

Yep, and two of those 37 were you and me.

13. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

I can believe we were outnumbered, but I can't believe only 37 of us called.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    ejmoosa and AtlPhilip like this.
  14. Mrs_Esterhouse

I can. Have a look at the ratios at the committee hearings. They were filled with retired anti-gun grannies and maybe six GCO people would make an appearance.

15. Phil1979

I know I called and emailed at least a couple of times in support of campus carry. I can't believe there were only 36 others.

16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I was in on that calling and emailing. I cannot accept their number as accurate either.

Nemo

17. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

The guy who owns the stadium may not care much about guns one way or the other, but he does want to make money on his NFL and MLS franchises and is happy to take taxpayer subsidies to do so. I'd lay good odds that his net worth by itself is greater than the total net worth of every single GCO member combined. If you want an explanation, there it is.

18. Nullifier

Nullifier Active Member

Except, he does not own the stadium

19. Mrs_Esterhouse

So I got free tickets to a soccer game in Mercedes Benz stadium. What's the security status and legal status for carry?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  20. Malum Prohibitum

NFL is anti-gun. I do not know about soccer leagues.