Memphis Zoo - Posted?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Phil1979, May 27, 2016.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Does anyone know if the Memphis Zoo entrance has any gun-buster or other such signs prohibiting weapons?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I grew up in Memphis, but that was long before I started carrying.

You may try asking at tngunowners.com

3. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

I'll be in Memphis next week!

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Business or pleasure?

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Either way, you ought to be armed. I hear its not a good place to be at most any time of day. Or night.

Nemo

6. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

Business, and I'll be armed. It's fine, as long as you stay out of the bad parts of town. It's like saying Atlanta can be dangerous, but mostly south of midtown, other parts of Atlanta are just fine.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

As a Memphis native who now lives in Midtown Atlanta, I agree completely.

8. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

I'll be close to Germantown

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Germantown / Cordova is a good area. My parents live off of Germantown Pkwy.

10. phaed

phaed Active Member

memphis has a murder rate 64% higher than chicago this year. they're certainly striving to be the best. i grew up about 45 minutes from memphis, and now completely avoid it.

11. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

I have been there about 4 times in the last 18 months. I never felt I was at risk in the areas I was working. That being said I did drive through a few rough parts. But I someone can afford my services, they are not poor. My starting rate is $3000 a day.

12. phaed

phaed Active Member

[​IMG]

13. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

I do have to pick on Memphis a bit. It's well earned and I'm just stating facts. It does have a high percentage of violent crime.

It is a very poor city. It once was a jewel of the south with quit a few driving industries that powered it's economy. It had shipping of produce from the Mississippi delta right below it, canning, steel work. It boards 2 states. It had a fair bit of rail traffic too.

Almost all industries have left it. The Mississippi delta has collapsed. A few corporate farms produce and ship their own products. If it wasn't for Baptist hospital, FedEx, and Tennessee university. There would be no high paying jobs left. The school system is fractured. Anyone with real money live down in Corenth MS. Memphis does have issues.

Due to this anyone with brains and skills are leaving, especially the young and college educated. I could be wrong, but I'll bet Adam5 moved here for better opportunities, be it job or life mate options.

14. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

If i wasn't married........I'd totally be a gigolo

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I left in 1991, at the age of 21, for Knoxville to be with a girl, who later turned into my first exwife.

I now refer to her as the Wicked Witch of the West, but at least she gave me my daughter.

16. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

I do high end IT consulting. I'm an expert in managing large fleets of Apple equipment.

Just today I earned my JAMF CCE. It's a very hard 4 day test with 8 challenges. I don't know my score, but I know I passed. I think I made 8/8. Made me realize how rusty I am in bash and pearl scripting.

In the last year some of the companies i trained:
    Nintendo, mail chimp, retailmenot, Miami Dolphins, Starbucks, sendgrid, circle back lending, dozens of school systems and universities.....including Tennessee university college of medicine.....in Memphis.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  17. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

Ha! Knew it, for us guys it's almost always money, or getting your willy wet.

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I got out just in time. Memphis was a different place in the 70's and 80's.

19. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

It started its downward spiral about the time Elvis died. Dunno why it was then, but it was.

20. phaed

phaed Active Member

yep. i remember going to Goldsmith's every year as a kid at Christmas to see the enchanted kingdom. i went to mud island for concerts, the peabody to impress chicks, and beale street just because it was cool.