Memorial Day

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Adam5, May 26, 2017.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

As you start your Memorial Day weekend, take a moment, and remember the reason for the holiday. Think for a moment, about those who gave up their lives for our freedom. Some of us are Republicans, some Democrats, some Libertarian, but we are almost all Americans. Many brave men and women have given their lives for us to be able to disagree and to vote for representatives of our choosing. They died for our rights and our freedoms.

Take a moment, remember them, and their sacrifice, for they are the reason for this holiday. Don't wish me a "Happy Memorial Day", for I will be remembering those who died for my freedom.

2. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Thanks. Good post.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Excellent post.

I remember it gravely each year, since I was named after my grandfather, Edward Stone, who was killed in combat serving his country. He served this country in two separate wars.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

My dad was a WWII pilot. He knew a few guys who got killed in training, and then a few more who were killed in combat over there in the skies above occupied France and Germany. Even those who died in accidents still died for the war effort, in circumstances that would not have existed but for the war. He often remarked how he got to survive the war and live into his 70's, 80's, and 90's, when some of his contemporaries, born the same year he was, died at age 21-23.

5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

My older brother shot down over Cambodia in 1971 flying a mission he did not have to during the Vietnam War. He took the mission for a friend who just wanted the day off. It also left him with only 2 more sorties before being transferred stateside. I know all too well what this day is for.

6. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

My youngest son passed away last October 2, 2016 while serving in the army. My father served in WWII and Korea in the Army air corp. my father in law served in the army during WWII. My uncle served in the Air Force until he retired and served in Viet Nam.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My heart goes out to all who have lost loved ones who were serving our country.

My debt to them, and your families could never be repaid.

8. MaricopaKid

MaricopaKid Member

My dad and one of his brothers were in the Army. The other brother that I was named after was a pilot in the Army Air Corps. He went down with his plane in a training flight in 1944. 2nd Lt. RVF 1922-1944. God Bless them all.

9. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Remembrance and thankfulness are the cornerstones of tomorrow. Thinking about my own family helps me put it in perspective, particularly these days. The first of my father's line to come to this country volunteered and served with the Union as a new immigrant. He was wounded at Gettysburg and put on Convalescent leave. He was serving as a guard in DC when Lincoln was assassinated and, because they were issued with less than front-line weapons, lost an eye while engaging in an honor guard salute to Lincoln. So, wounded at Gettysburg, wounded as an honor guard, and still not a "citizen" officially.

11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

That's terrible, I'm sorry he didn't make, I am lucky both mine did make it, both Korean and WWII, because a whole lot of people wouldn't exist right now.