21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Newton: No

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
One of my coworkers told me he had to go before the judge in Fayette County, but that was back in 2002.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hall.

She returned my call after I inquired how they got away with taking more than the 60 days specified in the statute.

It wasn't a very polite phone call...she pretty well bitched me out.

·
68,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
johnpeace said:
Hall.

She returned my call after I inquired how they got away with taking more than the 60 days specified in the statute.

It wasn't a very polite phone call...she pretty well bitched me out.
What did she say? :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just a very indignant speech about a previous attorney general issuing the opinion that since a BG check is required...it's OK to wait until the BG check is complete.

·
68,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes, it is required. Who questions that? The opinion from the attorney general in the 1970s was referring to the background check performed by local law enforcement (there was no other check back then) searching through the records to which it had access. This is now an INSTANT background check.

See O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(d)(2)
For both license applications and requests for license renewals, the judge of the probate court shall also direct the law enforcement agency to conduct a background check using the Federal Bureau of Investigatiońs National Instant Criminal Background Check System and return an appropriate report to the probate judge.

·
68,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The reports in (d)(1) are fingerprint based reports that show the same thing. These obviously take longer, but there is no difference in the report.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was the one it happen to in Forsyth County stupid judge

The judge took more then 60 days just to do the background check.He took four months and three weeks to get my gfl by going into a courtroom just to ask stupid question about me. I knew that my background came back clean I have bought alot of firearms from FFL and there was no problem with my background check with FFL"s so I have know clue why the judge had a problem with me having a GFL..The judge ask me how many guns I have which I think that is not a question he should have asked me.I think that was a right to privacy issue so no judge has a right to ask you that. YES on Forsyth County P.S this judge need to be kicked out of office his job is to process the background check with in 60 days and if your background clean mail it to you.You shouldn"t need to go to his kangaroo courtroom for a GFL..

·
68,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Re: I was the one it happen to in Forsyth County stupid judg

gunsmoke50 said:
The judge asked me how many guns I have . . .
Yours is the first time I heard that one.

I would have to honestly say, "I do not know, but can we get on with something relevant to my firearms license?"

:lol:

What did you answer? What happened?

Did he hand you your license in court?

Was it dated the day they gave it to you or backdated so that you do not get the full five years?

·
68,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Kid Icarus said:
Meriwether County - Yes

I sill have the letter from the court that says the judge wanted me to come in for a chat.
What did he want to know?

·
Registered
104 Posts
"Certain Information disclosed by the criminal/medical records check
has caused the Judge concern about your eligibility to hold this license.
More information is needed to further process this application. You should
schedule an appointment to discuss this matter with our office."

Anyways, here's what happened:

After I retired from the service, I moved my family and myself back home
to Georgia. I was born at Ft. Benning, my wife was born in Warm Springs.

Right after moving, things started going downhill for my family. My son
decided that quiting school and smoking pot "was a job". I disagreed.
I was off work one evening, and was drinking a beer when he decided to come home.

I cornered him one day in the kitchen; We argued. He screamed
"F*** You!" at me and I slapped him. He swung at me, missed, and then
I put him flat on his back. He screamed he was hurt. (Everyone was screaming at this point)

I called 911, and waited on the porch. The police & EMT's show up and
go inside. EMT's come out about 4 minutes later, madder then hell.
He had lied to them that he was hurt. The police (male/female team)
come out and talk to me. We talk about 10 minutes and they get ready to leave. I say "I'm right behind ya, I ain't staying here. This shit will start again as soon as you leave". <Light> If you leave we will take you to jail. "Huh"?? "You've been drinking." "Yes, but well under the legal limit." "If you try to leave we will take you to jail."

I got pissed, with a quickness...

The beer bottle was half empty, I had only drunk half of it. The other 11
bottles were still in the fridge. So, I said "fine, lets go to jail."
They cuffed me and took my to the city jail; About an hour or so later a
deputy sherrif took me to county jail, where I spent the remainder of the night. I posted bond/bail later the following day.

Several days later I get a letter in the mail from the state saying they were going to prosecute me and that I was prohibited from staying at my
house any longer. I got an attorney, and off to court we go. I never
got called up; Just my name spoken a few times between DA folks and my attorney, and the judge a few times. Couldn't really hear what they were saying. After about 4 hours in the courtroom, one of the ladies from the DA side and my attorney told me to go home. It was all over.

Ok, long and drawn out, but that arrest is what the judge wanted to know about. "Was the domestic disturbance/violence against your wife?"
"No ma'am, it wasn't." She signed the license and I was out of there
with my first ccw about 5 minutes later.

Applied 20Feb06; Received License 31May06.

·
68,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
While that was an interesting read, I did not mean to drag out so many personal details. I thought the judge perhaps just called you in on her own for an interview as another step in the process like some of the others have posted. Actually, this sounds like a case of the judge being entirely appropriate in wanting to investigate something that came up on the background check - rather than just ignore it and let the license application sit for a long time without issuance or denial as so often happens.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Question?

Malum,
This might not be the place to ask but Since it does deal with Carry permits I was wondering, since they no longer want to issue a temporary permit would it be prudent (considering the lengthy time to get the new permit) to apply for my permit around 6 or 7 months before my old one expires? Is it legal to do this or should I go defensless for 4-6 months waiting?
Thanks for your help,
TJ :roll: :roll: :?: :?:

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Re: Question?

tj2000 said:
Malum,
This might not be the place to ask but Since it does deal with Carry permits I was wondering, since they no longer want to issue a temporary permit would it be prudent (considering the lengthy time to get the new permit) to apply for my permit around 6 or 7 months before my old one expires? Is it legal to do this or should I go defensless for 4-6 months waiting?
Thanks for your help,
TJ :roll: :roll: :?: :?:
There is nothing in the law that says you cannot try to apply for renewal 6-7 months in advance. In fact some probate courts, since they wont give out temps, are allowing earlier submissions.

As I think about it, since the court will probably say there is no such thing as a renewal, they really have no basis for not allowing you to submit your application early (if renewals do not exist then neither does any restriction on when you can apply for that renewal).

21 - 40 of 53 Posts