Georgiapacking.org banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
I think I've heard Harris say that her and Biden would like to legalize MJ at the federal level.
I think it is past time to do so.
NO... We have way more than enough problems with alcohol and driving without adding legal MJ driving to the problem. Anyone using MJ and driving should face federal charges as well as DUI within the state.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
NO... We have way more than enough problems with alcohol and driving without adding legal MJ driving to the problem. Anyone using MJ and driving should face federal charges as well as DUI within the state.
I don't disagree with the DUI thing, but as with alcohol intoxication I see no reason for it to be anything more than a state enforcement issue. No reason for alcohol to become illegal because someone might DUI. No different than those wanting to make "assault weapons" illegal because of what some crazy criminal might do with one.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
A Florida government official admitted to having a medical MJ card and firearms carry license. Can't recall her name. She's a Democrat, so probably safe.
That's Nikki Fried, the democrat Commissioner of Agriculture. The AgCom also oversees the FL concealed carry license program. I wonder if she'll reject her own renewal if she's still in office when her license expires? Interesting conundrum, huh?

Reactions: Phil1979

·
68,147 Posts
What is the constitutional authorization of power to Congress to legislate this at the federal level?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,705 Posts
There is none. Feds had to threaten $$ reductions to get states to reduce BAC levels to a .08 from .10.

Nemo

Reactions: MaricopaKid

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,012 Posts
They might attempt to justify it this way:
"Car crashes temporary close roads and cause traffic jams, thus interfering with travel, sometimes interstate commerce even."

More likely, they'll just say:
"The Federal government has unlimited power and authority to do anything that is good for the public. Legislation that is beneficial need not be justified by any other reason."

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Insert obligatory Wickard v. Filburn reference here.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,705 Posts
Come on up. Get some good stuff.

Nemo

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/11/16/marijuana-legalization-is-moving-forward-in-virginia/

News & Politics
Marijuana Legalization Is Moving Forward in Virginia
Governor Ralph Northam says legislation will be introduced in January
Written by Andrew Beaujon | Published on November 16, 2020

Image via iStock.
Virginia Governor Ralph Northam said Monday that in January legislation will be introduced that would legalize cannabis in the commonwealth. "We are going to move forward with legalizing marijuana in Virginia," Northam said, according to the Virginia Mercury. State Senator Dick Saslaw, the Senate Majority Leader, told the Mercury last week that he thought the legislation had "slightly better than 50-50" odds of passing his chamber.

Virginia decriminalized marijuana possession earlier this year, making it a civil offense to have less than one ounce and lessening penalties. State Senator Adam Ebbin of Northern Virginia was key to that effort; he told Washingtonian late last year that he viewed decriminalization as "a responsible step in the direction of legalization." The commonwealth also has a medical marijuana program.

The state legislature commissioned a study of legalization that found such a step could generate $300 million in tax revenue, the Washington Post reports. If Virginia were to legalize cannabis, it would be the first Southern state to do so and would join a wave of successful similar efforts around the country. The District of Columbia voted to legalize cannabis in 2014, though congressional meddling left it with a confusing gray market for many consumers. Maryland has partly decriminalized cannabis and has a medical marijuana program.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,369 Posts
When are they going to legalize or at least take it off the Schedule One list it at the federal level?

·
Registered
534 Posts
When are they going to legalize or at least take it off the Schedule One list it at the federal level?
That may be awhile.

The USA is bound by a number of UN conventions and international treaty obligations to keep cannabis "criminalized", and there's a lot of resistance to repeal or reform (in particular by Russia, which very much opposes cannabis legalization or even rescheduling).

I know there were a lot of ministerial-level discussions the UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs in Vienna back in 2019 (I know, because a tobacco company client of mine was exploring a pivot into cannabis), and the emphasis there was on getting cannabis rescheduled so that it can be *studied* (you can't really run dosage studies on an illegal narcotic), ostensibly for medicinal purposes. It was pretty interesting to see which countries oppose legalization or even rescheduling (Jamaica, for instance, opposes legalization... I guess they bucked the stereotype!)

Until there's a reversal in the trend towards populism, I don't think there will be much movement on the issue internationally; authoritarian states LOVE having drugs illegal.

DH

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
As one who is physically handicapped with many spine issues, I wish I could at least try cannabis for my chronic pain. It would make sense to at least have it available. Instead, I must use this legal stuff....

Tell me which is worse?

Attachments

Reactions: blind_shake

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
More than likely we will see "decriminalization " before outright legalization. That let's the US keep its treaty obligations while not prosecuting folks excessively. Given the hoplophobia of the folks currently in power, I don't see them dismantling the gotcha of owning guns and smoking weed. They won't give up a lever to be used against gun owners any time soon.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have zero problems with marijuana being rescheduled, I mean cocaine is schedule II for goodness sake! In fact, I think everything on schedule I should be rescheduled to schedule II just so that as science and technology advances, anything can be studied for potential medical use. Don't agree with recreationalization of any drugs though. If people literally just got high in their own house and didn't do anything else, that's one thing, but people have proven that they can't be trusted not to negatively affect society under such conditions.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
I have zero problems with marijuana being rescheduled, I mean cocaine is schedule II for goodness sake! In fact, I think everything on schedule I should be rescheduled to schedule II just so that as science and technology advances, anything can be studied for potential medical use. Don't agree with recreationalization of any drugs though. If people literally just got high in their own house and didn't do anything else, that's one thing, but people have proven that they can't be trusted not to negatively affect society under such conditions.
Self-determination is a challenging concept. If we assume people will only negatively impact society then why do we allow them to have credit, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and matches?

·
Liver Abuser
1,050 Posts
That may be awhile.

The USA is bound by a number of UN conventions and international treaty obligations to keep cannabis "criminalized", and there's a lot of resistance to repeal or reform (in particular by Russia, which very much opposes cannabis legalization or even rescheduling).

I know there were a lot of ministerial-level discussions the UN Commission on Narcotic Drugs in Vienna back in 2019 (I know, because a tobacco company client of mine was exploring a pivot into cannabis), and the emphasis there was on getting cannabis rescheduled so that it can be *studied* (you can't really run dosage studies on an illegal narcotic), ostensibly for medicinal purposes. It was pretty interesting to see which countries oppose legalization or even rescheduling (Jamaica, for instance, opposes legalization... I guess they bucked the stereotype!)

Until there's a reversal in the trend towards populism, I don't think there will be much movement on the issue internationally; authoritarian states LOVE having drugs illegal.

DH
Jamaica? Decriminalized in 2015, perfectly legal for Religious purposes. Possession of over 55.6 grams (Two ounces) or smoking in public is a small JMD fine that equates to $5 (nominal) USD. Opposes legalization. . . yeah right.

·
Liver Abuser
1,050 Posts
The same things can be repeated ad nauseum for alcohol, Rx drugs of any kind, etc. For a real stretch, how about those who misuse firearms? Based on the number of crimes, shootings and murders, people have have proven they can't be trusted with firearms.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Jamaica? Decriminalized in 2015, perfectly legal for Religious purposes. Possession of over 55.6 grams (Two ounces) or smoking in public is a small JMD fine that equates to $5 (nominal) USD. Opposes legalization. . . yeah right.
No, cannabis is illegal in Jamaica.

They did reduce the offense for minor possession in 2015 (for example, it doesn't generate a criminal record.)

It's mostly USA-based churches which keep it from being decriminalized in Jamaica (some churches here wield considerable political influence in Jamaica via candidate funding.)

DH

·
Liver Abuser
1,050 Posts
21 - 40 of 41 Posts