Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Yet all of the violence so far has been by the regime against the protesters. How would you rid the country of an oppressive dictatorship?

This is part of the false choice we're given. Either we support oppressive dictatorships, or we'll get the boogey-man. It's the way we can frame the argument to never really support democratic reforms, since democracy is so much messier than a reliable dictator. So much for the rhetoric of supporting freedom and democracy.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
Maybe the real question should be when in the HECK did we, America, the US prop up a ruthless dictator in the country for close to what, I believe 30 years or so IIRC.

If I'm wrong I would hope someone would come along and correct me on the amount of time we propped up this dictator.

On top of that, I heard we send Egypt's military Billions in Aid every year. Ohh what a joy. Its amazing how much of our tax payer money goes to prop up dictators and their militaries across the world.

Our government and the constant interdiction and the amount of money we send overseas needs to serious be reigned in.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Hosni's support is a little more geopolitical than that. It had more to do with protecting the transport of goods across the Suez Canal, unfettered access to Oil for the West, and preventing another war between Israel and the Arabs than concerns for democracy in Egypt. US would support Egyptian democracy sure but bringing it to a people that have never, ever known it is not top priority for US policy. Besides, the $$$ to Egypt began in Jimmy Carter's administration, before Sadat was assassinated, in accordance with the Camp David accord which brokered peace between Egypt and Israel. Mubarak came to power after Sadat's assassination. The United States couldn't have reneged its promise then. Given the environment of the time, it had no choice but to support the interim government. Besides, that would've left Israel vulnerable and her enemies free to unite and attack. Don't underestimate how much Israel's welfare has factored into US foreign policy since WWII. It should be pretty clear in the actions we've taken in the last twenty to twenty-five, especially.

I hear bdee's point. You have to understand a little history about the Muslim Brotherhood to see its current call in the proper context. This is not a simple study of extremist Islam like the Talibs or AQ.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It seems that those in the US who still support Mubarak figure that the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. From what I've read the Muslim Brotherhood, while a strong force in the region to be sure, is far from accepted by the majority of Egyptians. Either way, we should keeps our noses out of this one, methinks.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
Yep, we need to keep our noses out of a lot of stuff.

I believe its time to get off foreign oil anyway. Its just too bad the liberal environmentalist are holding us back, as well as our politicians, ect.

Maybe if we are FORCED to produce our own oil, which studies say we have plenty right off our own shores, or if through price, we are forced to innovate, and come up with new forms of ways to heat and power our homes and cars respectfully, then that will be the best thing for us.

Did you know that for over 40 years, every US president has gotten up in front of the press and told us that THEY were going to reduce the amount of foreign oil we are using by the end of their term/terms? Not on ONE of them, NOT ONE PARTY, has done it so far. Hmm, I wonder why? Maybe its because we're too busy kissing Saudi Arabian Kings butts and bowing to them. Its all a joke.

Maybe the best thing for the country is for us to be FORCED off foreign oil. I think in the short term, its going to HURT BAD, but in the long term, I think it could be good for our country.

Also, I hear that even if we start building oil pumps in shallow water, and start to build oil refineries it will be 10 years before we get the first drop of gasoline. Its a problem, but I think the sooner we get to it, the sooner we can be off foreign oil.

It needs to happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts