Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the law regarding a 20 y/o keeping a handgun in the vehicle? I can't figure out from the ga code, nor from my searches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
I think the vehicle has to be in your name. Not your mom, dad or other.
 

·
NRA Certified Instructor
Joined
·
5,086 Posts
Not a loaded one. You can have it cased in the trunk to transport to the range but to carry it loaded you have to be qualified gor a GWL. Not have one just not be ineligible to get one. Since you must be 21 to get a GWL that would reneder someone 20 ineligible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
Since the 20y/o is not ineligible for a GWL, the handgun will have to be exposed to view or in a glove box. and can only carry it to and from home.

Right? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,568 Posts
§ 16-11-126. Possession and carrying a concealed weapon; penalty for violating licensing requirement


(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
Kingfish said:
§ 16-11-126. Possession and carrying a concealed weapon; penalty for violating licensing requirement

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.
bingo...this question was asked at the GCO convention workshop. Ownership of the vehicle was a necessity.
 

·
NRA Certified Instructor
Joined
·
5,086 Posts
My mistake...Should have read it first. I was thinking ineligible for the GWL and not possession...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
Kingfish said:
§ 16-11-126. Possession and carrying a concealed weapon; penalty for violating licensing requirement

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

As long as the car is in YOUR name, you can carry it inside of your vehicle any way you please... as long as you don't park in a few locations. You can find the list of places off limits in the "Gun Laws" tab on this website. To name a few, school property (can only park there with a weapon in your vehicle if you have a GWL), federal property (ie: post office), nuclear power plant facilities, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is illegal if dad's gun, dad's vehicle, but 20 y/o driving with pistol loaded and under seat?
 

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
Joined
·
28,314 Posts
without a GFL / GWL, there are more places off-limits, right?
Some of the recent changes in our law only applied to permit holders, while other formerly gun-free zones were opened up for anybody.

So people who don't have a carry permit (or reciprocity, etc.) need to keep that in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,568 Posts
RIA45 said:
Is illegal if dad's gun, dad's vehicle, but 20 y/o driving with pistol loaded and under seat?
§ 16-11-126. Possession and carrying a concealed weapon; penalty for violating licensing requirement

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.
Looks like it would in fact be unlawful to carry in Dad's vehicle unless eligible for a GWL (which a 20yo would not.) It would need to be unloaded and cased...
(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
seajay said:
Not a loaded one. You can have it cased in the trunk to transport to the range but to carry it loaded you have to be qualified for a GWL. Not have one just not be ineligible to get one. Since you must be 21 to get a GWL that would reneder someone 20 ineligible.
This was the old law.
 

·
NRA Certified Instructor
Joined
·
5,086 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
seajay said:
Not a loaded one. You can have it cased in the trunk to transport to the range but to carry it loaded you have to be qualified for a GWL. Not have one just not be ineligible to get one. Since you must be 21 to get a GWL that would reneder someone 20 ineligible.
This was the old law.
I know...So am I...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
As long as the twenty year old has no bar to owning a firearm, he/she may transport it, loaded, anyplace in his/her vehicle. The vehicle must be registered in his/her name. And, yes, the firearm can be under the seat. :sly:
 

·
Senior Mumbler
Joined
·
6,516 Posts
Quest50 said:
You can find the list of places off limits in the "Gun Laws" tab on this website. To name a few, school property (can only park there with a weapon in your vehicle if you have a GWL), federal property (ie: post office), nuclear power plant facilities, etc.
I posted this in response to someone in another thread. Beware that if the post office parking lot is also a location of postal work going on (loading/unloading mail trucks), then it is considered a sensitive place and definitely off limits.

I can not find any "Federal" ban on parking lot carry. However, Postal Regulations state "Postal Property", not facility as Federal does. Federal facility is defined in Title 18 Section 930 (g) (1) as:
The term "Federal facility" means a building or part
thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal
employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing
their official duties.


Further, Postal Regulations state in 39 CFR 232.1(p)(2) that:
Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any
other Federal laws or regulations of any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated.


Since the State of Georgia has specifically made vehicle carry legal (even for non-GWL holders) and parking lot carry legal, Then the Postal Regulations in 39 CFR 232.1 would not apply in that instance as they would be construed to abrogate State law.

Further, there is no specific Case Law that I can find to support public Post Office parking lot carry inside your vehicle being banned. Doesn't mean it's not so, just that I couldn't find a single case where someone was arrested solely for having a gun in their car on a public Post Office parking lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
I stand corrected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The father asked a LEO if his son could keep the pistol in his truck. The LEO said, sure. We wouldn't charge him anyway.

I can't get him to understand that maybe this LEO friend wouldn't charge the kid. Another LEO could. A possible gun crime at 20 could hamper any federal law enforcent career choices in the future. Which is what the kid is working toward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
RIA45 said:
The father asked a LEO if his son could keep the pistol in his truck. The LEO said, sure. We wouldn't charge him anyway.

I can't get him to understand that maybe this LEO friend wouldn't charge the kid. Another LEO could. A possible gun crime at 20 could hamper any federal law enforcent career choices in the future. Which is what the kid is working toward.
Charged on what grounds? Assuming the twenty year old is not prohibited from owning a firearm, and the truck is indeed his.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CountryGun said:
RIA45 said:
The father asked a LEO if his son could keep the pistol in his truck. The LEO said, sure. We wouldn't charge him anyway.

I can't get him to understand that maybe this LEO friend wouldn't charge the kid. Another LEO could. A possible gun crime at 20 could hamper any federal law enforcent career choices in the future. Which is what the kid is working toward.
Charged on what grounds? Assuming the twenty year old is not prohibited from owning a firearm, and the truck is indeed his.
Truck belongs to father - title, insurance, etc.
 

·
Senior Mumbler
Joined
·
6,516 Posts
Put the kid in the National Guard,then he'd be legal. He'd also be legal for carry in GA (and more places than most GWL holders).
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top