Maxim 9 in production

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by ed4, Jan 18, 2017.

1. ed4

ed4 Active Member

Got an email yesterday from Silencerco that the Maxim 9(9mm pistol with integrated suppressor) is in production now. Here's a link to it https://silencerco.com/maxim/ looks interesting to me. The original concept used S&W M&P 9 magazines and the final version uses Glock 17 magazines

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I think it's an intriguing and well thought out product. Integrally suppressing a pistol solves many of the length problems that exist with other designs. I'm going to assume that it can be disassembled for cleaning and other maintenance.

3. Siege

Siege Active Member

Man, but it's BIG. Have fun concealing that monstrosity, or trying to find a comfortable sitting position with it on, even in a shoulder rig.

Also, trigger-(un)safety... blech. I know, I know, it's the platform it was built on, but still... sheesh. If'n you can't remember or manage to switch your manual safety off during your draw-stroke, you probably can't remember to exercise the other fundamentals of firearm safety. Not saying that everyone who has them or likes them can't, merely that the argument that it's too hard for cops or the average person to do is ludicrous, and I really wish companies would stop making them and feeding the myth that there's anything safe about them. I'll readily acknowledge that DA, SA, and DA/SA are a matter of individual preference, but ersatz "trigger safeties"? Never. Heck, I'm not even convinced they're actually cheaper to make, and that's about the only reasonable argument of any merit I can come up with for why so many manufacturers seem so enamored with them.

Was honestly expecting something a bit different. Many firearms with integral suppressors have been made before. Can't speak to the quality or effectiveness of those, and most of the ones that come to mind are SMG's and the like (e.g. the H&K MP5-SD5) and those for pistols are generally for rim-fire rounds, but was figuring I'd see something rather... less bulky, like perhaps this or this.

4. Fallschirmjäger

Maxim9 is 3/4" longer than the Type-64 (Chinese) pistol and fires a full power 9x19 round compared to the 7.65x17 (aka .32 Browning) there are obviously going to be a few trade offs when stepping up from mousegun calibers.

I'd like to see an FN P/PS-90 chambered in .22TCM but that would probably require a locked breech, so That's not happening.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  5. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I've been saying this for years.

We fought 2 world wars and a number of "police actions" around the globe with a single action semi-auto with a manual safety lever... Not an issue.

Did we suddenly become too stupid to learn to take off a manual safety???

(some would argue yes)

You react how you TRAIN. If your gun has a manual safety, you train to operate it properly. If it doesn't... You train that way...

The folks who get themselves in trouble are the ones who are constantly changing out their gear, and not re-training with the new stuff...

Just my :2cents:

6. Fallschirmjäger

I'm not sayin' there's a disconnect..... but we also seem to manage pretty well with the safeties on M4's, SAWS, M2's and whatever whatnots are out there on the battlefield. I have this sneakin' suspicion that a certain Austria pistol was designed with only the trigger safety because someone recognized that it was mostly conscripts that were going to handle it and they aren't especially known for advanced training in most cases. (That also fits in with that pistol mfg's recommendation to release the slide by overhand or slingshot method rather than hitting that pesky little button on the side as it IS rather hard to find occasionally.)

7. Feral

Feral Active Member

I've noticed on a lot of pistols I've handled that the slide stop/release is near impossible to properly disengage with my thumb. Maybe it's my long fingers. I never had an issue with my P250's slide release. But due to this I started doing the slingshot instead.

I imagine you are overall correct in your presumption regarding safeties and the like.

8. Siege

Siege Active Member

I admit I've definitely seen some sucky manual safeties, but that's a matter of poor implementation of a good idea, not a flaw in the principle of having one itself. For example, I find the tiny little safety on my wife's LC380 to be quite annoying due to its exceedingly tiny size... there was no reason they couldn't have put a better safety switch on it without significantly increasing its bulk, similar in shape and form to those used on the 1911, 92F or Hi-Power.

9. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

For the vast majority of semi autos, it is a slide stop, and not useful as a slide release. They are pretty much very, very hard to use as a slide release. And most trainers want you to rack the slide on reloads, and not even attempt to use a slide lock/release. Racking the slide is going to ensure a positive chambering, in a time constrained, adrenaline fueled event where your fine motor skills have left you.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2014/4/8/its-a-slide-stop-not-a-slide-release/

10. Feral

Feral Active Member

That was my reasoning. I've noticed many manuals specifically state to not use the stop as a release as that is not the intended function.

I also had considered the difficult in manipulating even the most pronounced slide releases while you are under duress. That's why I went to racking the slide for my drills.

11. Fallschirmjäger

I'm thinking there's a big difference (pun intended) between the slide stop/release/levers of a 1911 and a Glock; different design philosophies involved.

[​IMG]
    Vs.​
    [​IMG]

If nothing else, I'd be curious why one designer put the serrations on the upward face and the other on the downward face.