Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
IF it proves to be a 'small ring' Mauser (meaning a pre-1898) then one should exercise a bit of care.
The original rebarrelling is rumored to have actually been into 7.62 CETME which has a lower pressure than 7.62.51 Nato (which has a lower pressure than .308 Winchester.) I should note that there is a LOT of controversy about that, with just about many people stating that the rebarrelling was into NATO, not CETME.

A small ring will probably survive on a steady diet of 7.62 NATO (for which there are commercial offering). Many people recommend NOT, I say again NOT shooting .308 Winchester from small ring Mausers.
Mauser Central posting on someone who may have either had a hot loaded .308 or a spiked round of ammunition.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsfo ... wede-.html

I have an FR-8 which was rebarrelled from a 1898 Mauser action for 7.62 CETME and don't have any qualms about using NATO spec'd rounds in it.

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
That's pretty much what I have gleaned from all the controversy as well.
I use Nato spec in my FR-8 without worries, but I thought it better to present all sides so no one gets surprised when someone does the :shock: :shock: :shock: because of a small-ring Mauser.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.