Master Gunman in Stone Mountain

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by triggerman357, Mar 15, 2007.

1. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

Has anybody here ever been to Master Gunman in Stone Mountain? I took my basic NRA handgun course there, and I practice there once a week.

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Yes :D
    Its an okay range but I wished they stocked more stuff in the store.

3. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

I have shot there several times, but I honestly prefer Bullseye in Lawrenceville. As ber950 said, their merchandise selection is limited and - sadly - their "help" is just not as friendly and helpful as the guys at Bullseye. At least that was the case the last few times I was in there.

All that being said, they do have a nice range - not as cramped as Bullseye.

4. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

The range is short (50') compared to the other local ranges where I have shot (Bullseye in L'ville, American Classic in Norcross, Ed's/Nick's in Marietta, and Hot Shots in Smyrna). The last time I was there, they might have had something like 10 guns in stock.

My biggest complaint is that the range seemed to be VERY poorly ventilated. Also, it's in a strip mall with the range backing right up to the store front windows; in warm weather, the sun seems to be beating right down on you so it is very hot in there.

Unless they have updated it, the target carriers are hand cranks, not electric. There is only one door between the store and the range; they do not have the "airlock" system. Instead, they have an intercom where they call a "cease fire" anytime anyone wants to enter or exit the range (you ring a doorbell to exit).

In short, I think there are far better places to shoot.

5. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I shot there a couple times (making the trek all the way from the north side!), but only because it was the only range I could find that would let me shoot when I was <21. The guy running the place both times was not terribly friendly, though the experiences weren't at all bad. I just don't think it's worth more than a 15 minute drive.

Now that I'm old enough, I need to find a good range near me.

6. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

I live in Lilburn, so I will shoot there because it's so close. However, if time allows, I prefer to go over to the American Classic range in Norcross.

7. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

I shoot at Master Gunman because its convenient. I pass it going to and from work, and try to shoot there when I don't have to pick up the kids. I have been wanting to try American Classic, but I haven't had the time. I might take a long lunch on my next slow work day and give it a try.

8. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Where do you work? I'm over in Tucker. I've considered running over there at lunch some days, but I'm guessing my wife will be mad that I went shooting without her :lol:

9. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

Norcross, near Indian Trail

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I don't like shooting at American Classic Marksman. Unless they have revamped their range in the last year it is probably the same poorly ventilated place. I would go home and blow gobs of black crud out of my nose. Plus, it didn't help their case that nearly all the staff members there were grumpy. There was one nice guy. The rest were practically pissed that they had to work.

So unless they change their staff and their range they won't see a dime from me.

11. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

I don't know the condition of their ventilation now, but I would like to go a range one day during lunch. Some of the poeple I work with would rather go play golf, and I would rather play Jack Bauer 8) .

12. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Drop me a line sometime next week and I'll meet you up there (with my monster .22 Browning) for a little target practice.

13. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

I've heard that about American Marksman having poor ventilation as well as a rumor that someone working there got lead poisoning. I'd say 2 people there are nice and the others can be grumpy depending on the day. The ventilation issue is a concern for me but I work 5 minutes away from there so I can't keep myself out :D . When I have my next physical in May I plan on having them test for Lead and I'll monitor my levels closely.
    There was one time it didn't seem like they had the fans on at all in the range when I was there. :shock:

14. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

American Classic & Bullseye (L'ville)

American Classic has done at least some work on their range in the last few months. I'm not sure their ventilation has improved, but I have seen worse. After not having gone there for a few months, it did seem visually cleaner when I went back.

Cavediver, if you live in Lilburn, you might try Bullseye in downtown Lawrenceville (if you haven't). The appearance of the range is a little run down, but there seems to be plenty of fresh (or hot in the summer) air blowing in at your back. It's pretty cheap and a 25 yd. range vs. Master Gunman's 50 ft..

15. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

I'll second Bullseye in Lawrenceville. The place does look a little run down, but it is an old building. Range is ventilated well (but not air conditioned as Broadside Bob mentioned).

The real plus to me has always been the employees. They go out of their way to be helpful and are very friendly to answering questions from newbies that I have taken there. They also have a decent selection of long guns and pistols. Prices are very reasonable.

Triggerman, you could probably be there in 15 minutes from Norcross at lunch time.

16. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

Well, I did bring my gun bag, and I do have about 100 round .40 waiting to fly down range. My wife is picking up the kids this evening, and I'm looking to go shooting after work. What say you GPO. I know its last minute, but I always shoot alone, and I'm willing to drive a little to meet up.

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

+1 I have shot there before. Most of the staff seemed to be in a bad mood and the ventilation was horrible.

Either that, or I've just gotten spoiled going to Bullseye Marksman in Cumming. :righton: They have good lighting, great ventilation/air filtration, friendly staff, and even a running waterfall (kinda) at the back stop.