Mary Margaret Oliver Prefile Bump Stock Ban HB651

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by mountainpass, Nov 16, 2017.

1. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20172018/HB/651

A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to dangerous instrumentalities and practices, so as to make unlawful the possession and use of bump fire stock; to revise definitions; to subject the possession and use of bump fire stock to criminal penalties; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

2. mountainpass

http://www.11alive.com/article/news...ll-to-ban-bump-stocks-in-georgia/85-492339407

3. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

This bill could be used to ban all semi-auto firearms that hold more than 6 rounds.
    It’s NOT worded to only apply to bump fire stocks, although that seems to be the intent, in light of the Las Vegas massacre.

Every semi auto uses a gun’s recoil to reload itself which, when you disregard the trigger’s role in firing, is what enables the gun to shoot again.

Bad bill on that account.
    Mary Margaret Oliver is either devious or ignorant of how guns work.

Pulling the trigger, consciously or not, with your finger or with some other trigger-poking object, MUST be part of the definition of bump stock.

5. mountainpass

Also notice she sticks them with NFA items, as such this is not.

6. mountainpass

http://www.house-press.com/?p=6776

Rep. Oliver Pre-Files Legislation to Prohibit Bump Fire Stocks in Georgia
    ATLANTA – State Representative Mary Margaret Oliver (D-Decatur) yesterday pre-filed House Bill 651, legislation for the 2018 legislative session of the Georgia General Assembly, which would ban the possession and use of bump fire stocks in Georgia.

“We already prohibit dangerous weapons like bazookas and rocket launchers, and it is time that Georgia has a serious discussion about banning bump fire stocks as well,” said Rep. Oliver. “These devices allow rifles to be modified to imitate semi-assault rifles, and banning such devices has recently been the center of many national discussions. I believe this legislation will see bipartisan support and look forward to starting this necessary conversation in our state.”

HB 651 would make it illegal for Georgians to possess or use bump fire stocks. Under the bill, violators would be punished by up to five years in prison.

Representative Mary Margaret Oliver represents the citizens of District 82, which includes portions of DeKalb County. She was elected into the House of Representatives in 2002, and she currently serves on the Appropriations Subcommittee on Human Resources and the Governmental Affairs, Judiciary, Juvenile Justice, and Science & Technology committees.

###

Posted November 16th, 2017 in Mary Margaret Oliver. Tagged: HB 651, State Representative Mary Margaret Oliver.

7. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I am hoping this dies a very quick death

8. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

She needs to ban bump fire spoons and forks.

9. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

"Semi-assault rifles" :?

I guess "semi-automatic" is morphing to a new scary-sounding term.

10. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Continuing proof these idiots have no clue what they are talking about.

11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Whenever Mary Margaret Oliver uses the word "conversation" regarding firearms, what she really means is confiscation at the point of government guns, even if lives on both sides are lost.

To her, a little bloodshed in such a scenario is a good and acceptable means to attain her goal of disarming free American citizens. She should be tried in a U.S. Court of Law for treason due to her disloyalty to the U.S. Constitution.

12. Taurus92

I think MMO's hatred of anything remotely considered associated with males is hard for her to contain. I noticed this in the early 90's when the frenzy was focused on child support and custody. When a non-custodial was sitting on their front steps with a gun to their own head, I'm sure she was thinking win-win.

As to her bill being from ignorance or her being devious, I would say both.

13. mountainpass

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/georgia-lawmaker-pre-files-bump-stock-ban-bill

bold mine

She is adding them to NFA. She just can't do that.

14. Taurus92

This clown has been in office for what 20+ years?

15. Taurus92

I'm hoping her bill is a non-starter anyway, but will that inconsistency alone sink it? I think it's pretty evident bills aren't actually read before voted on.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Could be used? It's worded that way as is. The bill, if passed as is, would ban semi auto weapons that use recoil to enable the weapon to shoot more than six shots. That is pretty much any combat semi auto handgun, e.g., the 1911.

17. rle737ng

rle737ng Member

Just a taste of what we will be facing should she and her fellow Communists attain power in GA.