Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/26571631/detail.html
A lawsuit filed this week in Fulton County Superior Court by the family of Rueben Hand claims MARTA officers did nothing when he told them a man was following and threatening him. It said that minutes later, the assailant approached Hand from behind and slashed his throat. A MARTA spokesman declined immediate comment.
Edit: Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=54797&hilit=Marta I thought this might deserve it's own thread, if not do what needs doing.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I personally find this amsuing to the degree that they swear up and down people are safe riding MARTA. That they have patrols and officers stationed strategically through the rail line. But what good does that do when they do absolutely nothing when asked for help? Wanna know why I carry my gun on MARTA? this is THE EXACT reason.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
While I am sympathetic to the pain that's caused when a loved one is murdered, it looks like another family unfamiliar with the idea that the responsibility for one's safety rests on the individual's shoulders is about to find out what many in the pro-IIA community already know: law enforcers are under no legal obligation to keep any one member of the public safe. This lawsuit is frivolous and isn't going to go anywhere.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
moga said:
While I am sympathetic to the pain that's caused when a loved one is murdered, it looks like another family unfamiliar with the idea that the responsibility for one's safety rests on the individual's shoulders is about to find out what many in the pro-IIA community already know: law enforcers are under no legal obligation to keep any one member of the public safe. This lawsuit is frivolous and isn't going to go anywhere.
Well maybe it'll alert the non-2A community.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I'd like to think so but doubtful. Some people just don't have it in their make up to rely on themselves before they depend on some one else.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The complaint will be dismissed per DeShaney v. Winnebago County Dept. of Social Servs., 489 US 189 - Supreme Court 1989
Petitioner sued respondents [Winnebago County] claiming that their failure to act deprived him of his liberty in violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. We hold that it did not.
The duty to serve and protect is only as strong as our state's law requiring the state to protect us.
The people of Wisconsin may well prefer a system of liability which would place upon the State and its officials the responsibility for failure to act in situations such as the present one. They may create such a system, if they do not have it already, by changing the tort law of the State in accordance with the regular lawmaking process. But they should not have it thrust upon them by this Court's expansion of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

·
Registered
593 Posts
moga said:
I'd like to think so but doubtful. Some people just don't have it in their make up to rely on themselves before they depend on some one else.
It is only going to get worse.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
And I repeat, LEO have no legal obligation to protect you.... And I repeat, LEO have no legal obligation to protect you.... And I repeat, LEO have no legal obligation to protect you....

How many times must we repeat this? Have the means to protect yourself. Its a shame you cannot carry when you are 14 YO, but you get the idea.

·
68,533 Posts
moga said:
unfamiliar with the idea that the responsibility for one's safety rests on the individual's shoulders . . . law enforcers are under no legal obligation to keep any one member of the public safe.
And just exactly what was this 14 year old kid supposed to do? Carry an H&K Mark 23?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
And what was Joshua DeShaney, a four year old at the time of his death, supposed to do? The state will accept responsibility for NOTHING.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
moga said:
unfamiliar with the idea that the responsibility for one's safety rests on the individual's shoulders . . . law enforcers are under no legal obligation to keep any one member of the public safe.
And just exactly what was this 14 year old kid supposed to do? Carry an H&K Mark 23?
Could a 14 YO carry an air rifle or air pistol? I'm sure a pellet in someone's eye as it flies near the velocity of a .22 would act as an effective deterrent.

How about knives? Can a 14 YO carry a small pocket knife legally?

How about just simply carrying a "cane?" I'm sure that it is legal. If you properly train yourself with a cane it would be better than nothing. A weapon is still a weapon, and its got to be better than nothing.

Also, at 14 YO you could go get some training in martial arts and hand-to-hand techniques that would be better than having no training at all. :D :righton:

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
EJR914 said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
moga said:
Could a 14 YO carry an air rifle or air pistol? I'm sure a pellet in someone's eye as it flies near the velocity of a .22 would act as an effective deterrent.

How about just simply carrying a "cane?" I'm sure that it is legal. If you properly train yourself with a cane it would be better than nothing. A weapon is still a weapon, and its got to be better than nothing.

Also, at 14 YO you could go get some training in martial arts and hand-to-hand techniques that would be better than having no training at all. :D :righton:
The point is, he was 14 y/o and he was still his parent's responsibility. Argue all you want about how he died or the sort of knife he could have carried... He shouldn't have been out that late, downtown, and on MARTA. I'm talking about responsibility here, not freedom to go where he pleases.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
moga said:
great point :righton: what the hell is security there for? along with my firearm i carry this little
gem,

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
vanguard said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
moga said:
great point :righton: what the hell is security there for? along with my firearm i carry this little
gem,
How long is the blade on that?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
EJR914 said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
moga said:

He could carry a rifle but not on MARTA.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,435 Posts
AV8R said:
EJR914 said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
moga said:

The point is, he was 14 y/o and he was still his parent's responsibility. Argue all you want about how he died or the sort of knife he could have carried... He shouldn't have been out that late, downtown, and on MARTA. I'm talking about responsibility here, not freedom to go where he pleases.
And every single argument above put the blame or responsibility on the kid or security, not the thug. The real point is that the criminal committed a crime. That's where the blame lies, no where else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts