Marta Sued "Officer Ignored Pleas For Help" Say Family 14YO

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by mountainpass, Jan 21, 2011.

1. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/26571631/detail.html
    Edit: Original thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=54797&hilit=Marta I thought this might deserve it's own thread, if not do what needs doing.

2. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I personally find this amsuing to the degree that they swear up and down people are safe riding MARTA. That they have patrols and officers stationed strategically through the rail line. But what good does that do when they do absolutely nothing when asked for help? Wanna know why I carry my gun on MARTA? this is THE EXACT reason.

3. moga

moga New Member

While I am sympathetic to the pain that's caused when a loved one is murdered, it looks like another family unfamiliar with the idea that the responsibility for one's safety rests on the individual's shoulders is about to find out what many in the pro-IIA community already know: law enforcers are under no legal obligation to keep any one member of the public safe. This lawsuit is frivolous and isn't going to go anywhere.

4. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Well maybe it'll alert the non-2A community.

5. moga

moga New Member

I'd like to think so but doubtful. Some people just don't have it in their make up to rely on themselves before they depend on some one else.

6. smn

smn Active Member

The complaint will be dismissed per DeShaney v. Winnebago County Dept. of Social Servs., 489 US 189 - Supreme Court 1989
    The duty to serve and protect is only as strong as our state's law requiring the state to protect us.

7. Bobo

Bobo New Member

It is only going to get worse.

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

And I repeat, LEO have no legal obligation to protect you.... And I repeat, LEO have no legal obligation to protect you.... And I repeat, LEO have no legal obligation to protect you....

How many times must we repeat this? Have the means to protect yourself. Its a shame you cannot carry when you are 14 YO, but you get the idea.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

And just exactly what was this 14 year old kid supposed to do? Carry an H&K Mark 23?

10. smn

smn Active Member

And what was Joshua DeShaney, a four year old at the time of his death, supposed to do? The state will accept responsibility for NOTHING.

11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Could a 14 YO carry an air rifle or air pistol? I'm sure a pellet in someone's eye as it flies near the velocity of a .22 would act as an effective deterrent.

How about knives? Can a 14 YO carry a small pocket knife legally?

How about just simply carrying a "cane?" I'm sure that it is legal. If you properly train yourself with a cane it would be better than nothing. A weapon is still a weapon, and its got to be better than nothing.

Also, at 14 YO you could go get some training in martial arts and hand-to-hand techniques that would be better than having no training at all. :D :righton:

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

The point is, he was 14 y/o and he was still his parent's responsibility. Argue all you want about how he died or the sort of knife he could have carried... He shouldn't have been out that late, downtown, and on MARTA. I'm talking about responsibility here, not freedom to go where he pleases.

13. vanguard

vanguard New Member

great point :righton: what the hell is security there for? along with my firearm i carry this little[​IMG] gem,

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

How long is the blade on that?

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

He could carry a rifle but not on MARTA.

16. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

And every single argument above put the blame or responsibility on the kid or security, not the thug. The real point is that the criminal committed a crime. That's where the blame lies, no where else.