Marta once again!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Okay, so here is just another issue with Marta. Seems the company is in denial.... go figure. I know the times I have rode that train, I felt naked without my piece. Now I just dont ride it. Hopefully nobody else gets hurt, raped, whatever. And this city has issues with getting bills passed, the officials better wake up! Like I always say and believe. Until it happens to them they will never understand.

After a NASCAR team owner stated he wouldn't want to walk in midtown after dark, this only shows how dangerous it is here. Not to mention the cop brief from Officer Steve stating the obvious. I'm glad we live outside of this city. After going through Dallas and then Vegas, for the race, you see such a difference when getting back to Atlanta. The past 6 years I have been here this place has gone to hell. Sorry for the rant y'all......

Teenager Beaten On MARTA Train

POSTED: 11:09 pm EST March 14, 2006

Northeast Atlanta -- A teenager was viciously beaten by a group of teens while riding on a MARTA train.

His parents claim police told them the assaults are part of a gang initiation that's running rampant in the system.

A MARTA spokesperson told us a teenager had been attacked here on a train on Saturday.

But she said there is no evidence the attack was a part of any gang initiations.

The teen's father says that's not what an officer told him.

Michael Durden says a MARTA police officer not only told him his son was brutally beaten by gang members on the train, he also says officers told him the assault was part of a gang initiation.

Michael Durden: "And this is how kids go about getting into the gangs by beating up innocent people."

Mike Durden II has 21 stitches in his mouth and he has bumps and bruises all over his body after police admit several juveniles suddenly attacked him, and then continued stomping him at the Edgewood-Candler transit station.

"I was just sitting down looking out the window," says assault victim.

Other than that, he doesn't remember much of what happened.

But his father says he remembers an officer telling him the attack was one of many gang-related assaults they've seen.

Durden wants extra officers on the trains, and he also wants MARTA to admit it has a gang problem.

MARTA is investigating and may release videotape of the incident.

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Good thing public transit is a legally-established self defense-free zone.

It makes it easier for this kind of thing to happen. Why would we want to deprive gangs of boxes full of victims?

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have had a question about MARTA subways...
    How do you hijack something that is on a fixed rail loop? I understand you can hold people hostage on a train, but as far as I know the only way to hijack a subway train is to make it stop where it is not supposed to.

The things run on electricity, it's not like the train is going switch to an amtrack rail and go to Alabama. It is stuck in a closed loop.

Frankly all the proof I need of why we should be able to carry is the Long Island Railroad Massacre. No firearms allowed on board the subway train and a crazy person boarded with a glock and started shooting people.

4. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Greeeattt.. I gotta stop riding that thing until they change their rules!

I got off the train the other day and saw a friend of mine who said, "were you on the car with the crazy guy?" I wasn't so he went on to explain to me how this one guy, black, was yelling and screaming at this other guy, white, who had a shaved head. The black guy was apparently saying how he hated white people or something along those lines. The white guy apparently just ignored him. Not sure if I could have done that had I been on the "crazy guy" car ;)

5. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I wonder just how many CCW folks ride that train and carry. It's not like they are advertising or waving it at people. I know, it's against the law, but I bet there a quite a few who would rather have to use it in an illegal place than die trying to use a bic pen as a weapon.

Just sayin...

6. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

I was on the LIRR train right behind the one that Colin Ferguson shot all those people. That train stop was my old neighborhood. The sad thing is that Caroline McCarthy, who husband was killed and son was severely wounded, opted to become an anti-gun US Representative. Contrast her with the women in Killeen Texas, whose Mother and Father were killed. She became a Texas Representative and was instrumental in getting Texas' concealed carry laws passed. Just goes to show you how different people react to different situations.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I have only ridden on Marta 2-3 times. I carried each time. I was a police officer then, but nobody knew that. I also do not know if there was a law against it back then . . .

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It was 2001, because of the war on terror.

9. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

MARTA workers seem to be on a power trip a lot of the time. One of them came up to me and said, "Not on my MARTA!" when I had an open energy drink can! she warned me about getting a citation!

And the firearm thing isn't just a citation offense! It's felony hijacking remember!! :shock:

hahaha

10. Malum Prohibitum

Take this train to Cuba or I will blow it up! What, you don't think I'm serious? Turn the train toward Cuba!

11. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Is that what we should say if we get caught so we can plead insanity? :D

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Is that what we should say if we get caught so we can plead insanity? :D[/quote:2rmj35mo]
    Mentioning bombs would just get you into more trouble.

Besides if you are insane you can never have firearms again. Of coarse if you are guilty you can't have them ever again either.

So if ever needed, just say you were on your way to Sesame Street and you needed protection from the Cookie Monster and Oscar the Grouch.
    At different times shout out "T is for Tater Tots, I like Tater Tots cause they taste like purple!"

13. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are thats funny......

14. Malum Prohibitum

Um, more than hijacking? :bsflag:

15. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

:rotfl:

almost let the boss man hear me when i read that one!! ;)

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The state hijacking law has bombs in it as well as firearms, however with bombs the feds also can press charges for unlicensed explosives and for various terrorist crimes or threats. Invoke the patriot act and go to town.

17. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I heard on WSB Radio this morning that there was an arrest and that there is some video footage related to this case as well. They didn't say anything more about gang ties.