MARTA 40th anniversary festival

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Clark, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Before we go any father, I know MARTA's mere existence doesn't have a good reputation on this site, please, let's not focus on that.
    https://www.itsmarta.com/festival.aspx
    Given where it is, I'm guessing it's in the parking lot adjacent to the Avondale yard. I highly doubt they have it inside the rail yard (only access is via a building, and I doubt that building qualifies as a government building), and I highly doubt even MARTA has a large enough space inside the building to accommodate a festival anyways. Also, some of the other things they ban (radios) are pretty dang arbitrary, can the government even do that?

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Dayum, they don't want firearms or ammunition at all do they. Noted in a couple categories on their prohibited list.

Nemo

https://www.itsmarta.com/festival.aspx

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Neither MARTA nor the festival's sponsor has the authority to ban firearms on the property. Only government buildings with screening excepted.

4. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

The following items are PROHIBITED:

• Pets (except service animals) Smoking and vaping inside the festival site.
    • Anything illegal (drugs, drug paraphernalia, weapons, explosives, fireworks, etc.)
    • Coolers of any kind.
    • Illegal and Illicit substances of any kind
    • Outside food or beverage (including alcohol) of any kind
    • Mace/pepper spray or other dangerous chemicals and compounds
    • Professional radios or walkie-talkies
    • Skateboards, inline skates, roller skates, scooters, bicycles, wagons, carts or any personal motorized vehicles
    • Tents, canopies, or shade structures of any kind
    • Unauthorized/unlicensed vendors are not allowed
    • Explosives of any kind (including fireworks and firearm ammunition)
    • Weapons or harmful objects of any kind to include firearms; edged blades; sharp, pointy, or blunt bludgeoning objects
    • Toy or replica weapons to include BB/pellet/Airsoft guns, or objects shooting projectiles
    • Fireworks

5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Where's Phil? Calling Phil.

6. Phil1979

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What can I do about it? :faint:

Besides, I'm tired from my own state preemption violation case. How about a little help here folks? :smile:

7. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

The don't want pets smoking or vaping inside, eh?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Are we sure MARTA's land and the buildings used for this party are PUBLIC property?

It seems that the Supreme Court of Georgia held that it was for the purpose of blocking any award of punitive damages. Government entities can't be forced to pay enhanced damages, since that would make the public treasury an attractive target for sleazy lawyers looking to get their dumbass clients a big payout from the government's Deep Pockets.

https://law.justia.com/cases/georgia/supreme-court/1991/s91g0043-1.html

P.S. Read the scathing dissent by Justice Smith, who says MARTA is both a public entity and a private corporation.

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

10 years ago, when GeorgiaCarry.org sued MARTA for detaining a GWL holder and demanding his SSN while checking him out, MARTA denied it was a government actor. It claimed to be private.
    But the U.S. District Court, Northern District of GA, Atlanta Division, said MARTA was a government entity.
    (The case ended with a win for MARTA anyway, as to the stop and detention of the GCO member, but GCO won a declaration that MARTA improperly used the citizen's Social Security number).

BITTOM LINE: Don't expect MARTA to freely admit that it is a government entity and the land it controls is public property. It might claim to be private, and it might be willing to tell the police who investigate the "man with the gun call" that the armed person has refused to leave MARTA's private property!

So, understand the risk you take carrying here in defiance of MARTA's rules. You could be arrested and spend a few days in jail, even if courts will later find that your arrest was improper.

10. Phil1979

I called and complained about it today. Finally got the person in customer service to admit the gun language on their website was a "suggestion". I then said the verbiage should then be worded that way. She said she'd pass that along.

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Very good. Very good. :applause: :lol:

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Just a little more information to close out that story:

The Marta case prompted the legislature to change statutory law in a couple of ways, first as to concealed carry being removed as a crime in the Code. It is difficult to remember, but just a few years ago carrying concealed was a crime. Having a license was an affirmative defense to the crime. Marta won on the basis that the plaintiff's gun was concealed, and therefore the police were aware of a completed crime and could detain him. The thirty minutes in a closed room was also held reasonable.

The legislature next wrote it into law in Georgia that a police officer may not detain a person for the sole reason of checking his license.

These two changes removed the "win" long term for Marta. The case did more for GCO and us as a loss than it ever would have accomplished as a win.

gunsmoker and tmoore912 like this.
  13. 736Lawton

736Lawton Member

They can do whatever they please.
    They'll merely have you arrested, hauled off in cuffs, embarrassed, humiliated, and anything else they can think of.
    It's DeKalb county. For crying out loud man, GET OUT OF THAT PLACE and let them all eventually kill each other.