Marriage and name change - do I need to reapply?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by gtg947h, Oct 5, 2007.

1. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

So I'm getting married in three weeks. Both of us are changing our last name to a hyphenated combination. Does this mean I need to reapply?

If so, I probably should have just waited to do so until after the wedding... I applied a few months ago (beginning of July), but still haven't received anything. Fifty bucks down the drain...

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Thats a question I have not heard before...

Since you are combining names I would think you do not need to worry about it. Your Drivers license would still have the same first, middle and part of your last name. Same physical discription as well.

Even if you wanted to change it just so it will be correct and avoid any kind of problems, you should not need to reapply, I believe they would just reissue like they would for a lost or damaged card, which is only $5.

3. Taler

Taler New Member

Even if I were to have it changed, I would wait until it is issued rather than trying to alter it in process.

4. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

Turn in your man card!! #-o
    :lol:
    I joke...I kid

Call the probate court and ask them...they will probably just make you a new one, similar to if a woman got married and changed her name...

You will need to get a new SS card and DL with your new name too...

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The probate court does marriage licenses too, right? Don't confuse them :shock:

:lol:

6. Claire

Claire New Member

my SS card still has my maiden name

thats great - Marriage license & gun license all in the same place
    :woohoo:

7. Guest

Guest Guest

The shotgun wedding is born.

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I don't kid.

Glad you carry and welcome to the board but for God's sake don't change your name when you get married if you are a man. Think about this seriously man.

Is she going to cut your balls off too? If you were my son you would be disowned (probably not really but you get the point).

I don't say this to insult you, just to make you think. This might be another one of those times when I should have just not written anything.

Your choice though.

9. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

I'm not here to discuss the name thing. I have my reasons, and I will leave it at that.

Anyone else have something more on-topic?

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You'd probably, technically, be okay leaving your name as it is on the GFL.

I, personally, would want the name on my GFL to match the name on my driver's license.

Like another poster said above, to have your name changed on the GFL you don't have to reapply, they just charge you a small fee. I would imagine that if you bring the appropriate paperwork they could do it while you wait.

Again, I hope I wasn't too much of a jerk before. No offense really even though I did use kinda harsh terms. I guess your decision is just one that I don't understand and can't really see myself ever considering. I would be interested in how you came to this conclusion but understand that you probably are pissed at me. I'd be interested in knowing how one comes to such a conclusion but realize that you will probably just ignore this portion of my post. 8)

11. tace

tace New Member

Once your card arrives, go back to the probate court and they should just change it without you having to go through the process again. They shouldn't even charge you anything since neighter SSN cards or driver's license renewals charge anything to "correct" the name as it has been lawfully changed.

The same woman who gave me my marriage license handled my GFL. They are very understanding in that ppl have reasons to change their names in the process of a marriage. Most are unlike idiotic jerks on message boards who mouth off without having a clue as to what it takes for one to come to a decision like this.

When you go to the DMV (make sure it is after SS office), they may try to give you the line about needing a court order but don't listen, just put your foot down and tell them according to GA law they have to change your name on the drivers license and not charge you a thing.

Yes GAGunOwner, you should not have posted anything when you have no friggin' clue about his reasons. Considering what most man who change their last name during marriage go through he has bigger balls than you can ever imagine.

BTW, congratulations on your marriage and I applaud you for being modern and open minded enough to go through with the last name change. Though I am a bit biased ;)

12. ForeverInDebt

ForeverInDebt Guest

Potentially a BIG problem if it doesn't match your DL. GA will cancel your Driver's License if the name does not match the Soc. Security database. FYI:
    http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/ ... 5_web.html
    (if you have changed your name with the SSA but just have an old card, then it shouldn't be a problem)

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This is not a ground for revocation in O.C.G.A. 16-11-129.

14. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

Not a problem anymore... $5 and they had the new one to me the next week. Just felt like playing it safe.

15. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam Guest

Just throwing it out there, but I had a male ancestor take his wife's name back in the 18th century. Her family was very well-to-do and didn't have anybody to carry on the name. I have no idea how such an action was perceived back then, but it wasn't entirely uncommon among aristocratic-types.

I'd be curious to know why the OP changed his name and how it's affected work, relationships with blood-kin, and so on. The whole concept seems strange to me, but he apparently feels quite happy with the decision. And, if it makes you happy and you aren't hurting anybody else, why not do it?

I'm glad to hear that the probate office didn't give any crap about it, but has the same been true for bank loans, insurance policies, and so on?

16. tace

tace New Member

GA is one of 7 states that allows a man to take his wife's last name without a court order. SS and DMV will give people a hard time but they will comply when pressed. All others are just like woman changing her name, they usually ask for the marriage certificate.

17. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

Exactly. Surprisingly, the one I had the least trouble with was the FAA--yeah, I had to go to the state office in Atlanta, but there was no trouble at all.

I'm not going to go into reasoning too much, other than to say that I joined her family as much as she joined mine. It wouldn't be fair to expect her to change without me doing anything, ergo both changing. And in the end, it's a name--just a label, it doesn't change who you are.

I've caught a little crap from friends, but no other problems. Still in the process at work--HR is slow on their best days.