Marlin Rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by darkstar3d, Oct 18, 2010.

1. darkstar3d

darkstar3d Paratrooper

Anyone used any? Bass Pro has a 917V for $190.

2. TrkJky

TrkJky Active Member

I have a Marlin Model 60 that I bought used in 1985 and it still shoots flawlessly.... Great little 22 rifle.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I own a couple, and have fired others.
    Generally they're good guns for hunting, casual target shooting, plinking, etc.
    I'd take one to an Appleseed shoot but not to Camp Perry.
    They'll work great for shooting Nickel -sized groups at reasonable distances, but don't expect them to work like a Steyr sniper rifle.
    Don't expect a dime-sized group at 100 yards. You might get a gun that can do that, but probably not.
    All the ones I've fired have had pretty stiff trigger pulls, about 5 lbs, with more trigger movement than should be there.
    But I hear some Marlin rifles have a new extra-light and crisp trigger to rival the Savage Accu-Trigger.

4. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

I have three Marlins

1. 1889 "Marlin Safety" 44 WCF
    2. 1894CB "Cowboy" 44 WCF
    3. 1894C 357mag/38 spl

Love'm

5. lectrikman

lectrikman New Member

Marlin model 336 30-30 here. I have killed more deer with this gun than any other deer rifle I have owned. Iput a scope on it 6 years ago, zeroed it in , and havent touched it since.....still dead on!

6. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

I had a Marlin model 60 for years before I sold it a few years ago. It was a gem of a rifle.

7. smn

smn Active Member

I've got a model 60 and an XL-7 chambered in .30-06. Both very good shooters and my son absolutely loved the model 60 at the range.

8. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

I have a 336 in 30-30 that I absolutely love. :righton:

9. darkstar3d

darkstar3d Paratrooper

Thanks all!

I'm going to get this one for my daughter as a Christmas present.

10. jhvaughan2

jhvaughan2 Member

Not to pick on BSCL but has anyone met someone who owns a 336 30-30 an does not love it? :wink:

11. misawa

misawa New Member

I have a Marlin 925 (BA .22 lr) that I put a 3-9x32 scope on and dropped in a Rifle-Basix trigger in that I love to shoot - fairly accurate out to 100 yds. Also have a Marlin 1894c in .44 Magnum - it makes a very satisfying *thump* when fired. :D

12. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I have a Marlin 99M1, which is basically the Model 60 action made up in a M1 Carbine looking stock. It probably has another 20 years on your Marlin. Looks like a bag of smashed...um, well, it looks pretty rough. But still shoots good :righton:

13. PX

PX New Member

FWIW:

In my declining years I have developed an interest in the 22cal rifle again..

My first firearm was a Remington, bolt action, single-shot 22cal rifle that my Grandmother bought me for my 12th birthday..

Over the years I've had a pile of 22's, but a decade or so ago I lost interest in plinking as my vision declined and my hands started becoming less steady... I gave my last one (a NIB Nylon 66) to a niece about ten years ago who gave it a good home.

But, recently I have rediscovered the pleasure of plinking, and even tho my vision still sucks and my hands are less steady than ever I enjoy getting out and shooting holes in paper, and doing so with a caliber that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to shoot.

First I bought another Nylon 66... I really, really like the Nylon 66, fed from the tube in the stock... Very good accuracy, absolute reliability... Fun gun..

Then I bought a slightly used Marlin "Original Golden" 39A lever 22cal rifle, and that sucker is so accurate I feel almost criminal owning it in that I cannot take advantage of it's awesome accuracy potential.

I like the 39A so much I'm saving my pennies for another (I don't need)... :screwy:

I never knew how great these lever action Marlin 39A's are, despite the fact that over 2,000,000 have been sold, and it's basically the same model "Annie Oakley" used in her shooting act a zillion years ago.( I think her model was the 1891)

This is my first Marlin, and I have no use for a center fire version because I don't kill "no critters no more", and IF I had to I'm sure a 22cal LR round would dispatch them quite handily, but I do feel the "need" for more Marlin rifles in the form of 39A's... :righton:

Best Wishes,

Jesse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. mountainman444

mountainman444 Well-Known Member

I can't think of anyone who doesn't love theirs'. It's the only rifle I have that won't be traded.

15. darkstar3d

darkstar3d Paratrooper

Jesse,

Those are some beautiful rifles!

16. vanguard

vanguard New Member

i think you can get them in pink at academy sports. :righton:

17. ET.

ET. Active Member

I bought a Revelation 22LR bolt action rifle from Western Auto in 1966. Later I found out that it was a Marlin 780 rebadged for Western Auto. I have shot thousands & thousands of rounds thru it with absolutely no problems. 44 years without a single hiccup is about as good as it gets.