Mark Hamil - Luke Skywalker character :(

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by johnski, Jan 5, 2018.

1. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I wonder if George Lucas knew what the Disney Company was going to do to his creation or did all the zeros on their check blind him?

3. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

I guess you forgot the steaming piles that were Episodes 1-3...

But I do agree that Luke's storyline in the latest episode was less than respectful to that character's legacy. I was very disappointed in the handling of Luke's story. Other than that, I did enjoy the movie.

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

It's Disney and they do things their own way, based on their target audience and market research. That doesn't include any loyalty to the original fanbase or storyline more than necessary to make it a "Star Wars" movie that loosely perpetuates the original trilogy storyline and characters. I would say it would have been better in Lucas's hands, but then there is the inexplicable Star Wars 1, 2, and 3.

I'm sure that Lucas knew that the continuation of Star Wars was going to go in a different direction once he handed it off to Disney. For whatever reason, he decided that it was the right thing to do. Perhaps he didn't have or want to invest the time and effort to continue Star Wars on his own, but wanted it to continue for the fans, so he handed if off and Disney may have been the lessor of all evils.

5. moe mensale

I don't know. They probably could have been a bit better but they managed to maintain a semblance of continuity with 4-6. Episode 7 (and 8 which I haven't seen) seem to be discovering new country. Maybe that's good, maybe it's not. Time will tell.

6. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

First movie in the series I recall having foul language.

7. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

Is that a bad thing? I create things all the time to sell...is a movie different?

8. GPAdmin

GPAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I haven't seen the latest...but I'm not looking forward to it...maybe it will surprise me.

9. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I saw the movie. It could have been better but I was pleasantly surprised it did not live down to the anticipated bad that was spread all over regarding it.

I will be seeing it again, several times.

Nemo

GPAdmin likes this.
  10. moe mensale

Absolutely not! But I assume that Lucas envisioned a different direction than where Disney is heading off to. Does it bother him? Hell if I know and maybe at this point in his life he don't care.

11. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

I’ll admit, as an avid Star Wars fan I was a bit disappointed in TLJ. Also, I don’t think the prequels were as terrible as people make them out be. Sure RotS could’ve used some work but TPM and AotC were good.

The Last Jedi though...eeeeh.

The handling of Luke and Snoke were huge let-downs. Rose honestly might have lapped Jar Jar as the most hated character in any SW movie because she honestly contributed NOTHING to the movie except Disney’s desire to show diversity.

Not to mention the purple-haired vice admiral of gender studies who had no believable qualities of a military leader and honestly used the term “man-splain” when talking down to one of the main characters who had reason to question her decision-making.

Sadly the pinnacle of the movie was the opening space battle. Most of what followed was fairly lack-luster.