Many thanks to Gwinnett PD

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by CBH, Jan 27, 2017.

1. CBH

CBH Member

Specifically, a Sargent and officer from the quality of life unit who worked to have a basketball goal removed from the middle of a cul-de-sac in a neighborhood on my mail route. The residents refused to move this obstacle, I have been asking for years. Now it is gone.

2. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

What is a "Quality of Life Unit"? Is that a new name for Code Enforcement?

3. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

If in the middle (center?) of the cul-de-sac could you not drive around it? Here the cul-de-sacs are so large that a pole in the middle would be of no concern.

4. CBH

CBH Member

I could not drive around the goal, I had to back up, twice, to serve the mailboxes. The school bus could not turn around there either. The goal should never have been placed in the street in the first place.

A few months back, a small child stepped in front of and was hit by a mail carrier. The street is not a playground.

5. psrumors

If the goal was impeding traffic then understandable but the street is a playground....one of the best I had growing it....along with the woods, parking lots, etc.

6. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

No, its not a playground even though you may have misused it as one.

If I said that the street was one of the best drag strips I had growing up, along with people's driveways and parking lots, would that have made using any of those as drag strips right?

7. psrumors

You're going to compare drag racing to kids playing ball in a neighborhood street? Talking big wheels?

And for the record, Barrett PKWY was one hell of a drag strip growing up....been well in excess of 100mph on it

8. Fallschirmjäger

Being a child instead of an adult doesn't make a violation of OCGA 40-6-96 any less illegal.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  9. psrumors

oooo, so what? I hope kids continue to play in neighborhood streets, it will be a sad day when they don't.

10. nutnless220

nutnless220 Member

Remove that basketball pole forthwith. Do it for the children.
    Wait, where have we heard that before?

11. Fallschirmjäger

And I hope that not another child loses his life because a neglectful parent allowed him to play in the same roads occupied by 2 ton machines traveling at 35mph.
    [​IMG]

But that's just me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Yeah, this.

13. moe mensale

Playing in the street is somewhat of a right of passage growing up as long as you understand the potential hazards. But really, what a$$hole allowed a basketball pole to be permanently installed in the middle of a roadway, cul-de-sac or not?

14. nutnless220

nutnless220 Member

Obviously someone in the cul-de-sac is a big basket ball fan.

15. moe mensale

And "knows" someone.

16. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Clearly the people on this post have no qualms at all about telling other people how to live their life.

Being illegal doesn't make it immoral or unethical.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  17. Fallschirmjäger

Non sequitur and a 'straw man' argument.
    I never claimed it was either immoral or unethical, or even fattening for that matter.

It's illegal because it presents a danger not only to the pedestrian using the road for an unintended purpose but for innocent drivers as well.

18. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Not a strawman. You cited the law as justification for removal. I put forth that merely being legal (or illegal) is poor justification for an action.

As for the danger, we aren't talking about a post erected in the middle of a state highway. It's a dead end occupied by people who obviously knew it was there and wanted it there.

Sorry, I think it's anti-social to go deep into other people's neighborhoods and tell them how to live.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  19. moe mensale

I don't have any issues with kids playing in the street as long as they're aware of traffic. A basketball poll in the middle of the road, however, is a traffic hazard, even on a cul-de-sac. Imagine anyone driving in there looking for an address, especially at night. The last thing I'd expect to be aware of is a metal poll.

20. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I think that the cited justification is that the plea is both a hazard and illegal. I doubt that Fallschirmjäger spends his time driving around and looking for how he can disrupt the social lives of children. Well, I mean, maybe he does, but I don't want to jump to conclusions...