Manual safety vs trigger safety

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Claire, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Claire

Claire New Member

I dunno if trigger safety is the right lingo?

anyway.. I up for ya'll to get into a debate

I'm an old skool lady that has only used manual safety's

I had a beretta 92f back in the mid/late 80's
    I shot many many rounds out of that gun & never remember any problems

I've read many good articles about the S&W MP9
    its a plastic gun & from what I see some models only have a trigger type safety

the ruger P series have gotten mixed reviews

tell me the pro's & con's of having only a trigger safety?
    for safety, rapid fire, slow fire, trigger pull etc..

I'm looking for a 9mm - I know I need to get my ass to a shop & try on a few - but I'd like to hear some feedback as well from those who have had experience with these various models.

I'm mainly a target shooter - for self defense my hands are registered weapons :p

2. tace

tace New Member

I used to be a big proponent of manual safeties until I took the class last weekend. Now, I think anything that introduces an extra step to draw and fire while under stress is a bad idea.

If you are a target shooter, I don't see why you would need a manual safety. Just don't carry one in the chamber. So, even if you do something dumb like putting your finger on the trigger when you weren't ready, it won't go bang!

3. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

I don't know much about the triggers above, but I love my glocks'. Very short reset for quick follow ups...trigger press being the key. As for safety, it all starts and ends with the pad of your finger...keep it out of the trigger guard until ready to put the round in something.

4. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I have had my Ruger P95DC for 10 years+ and put about 10,000 rounds through it with out a problem. It has no safety, only a decocker!

5. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

After using the decocker, the first trigger pull is double action (harder trigger pull). Then it becomes single action (much easier trigger pull) for the rest.

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I haven't been able to afford fancy training, but after a lot of reading and introspection I have stopped carrying guns with a manual safety for now.

Both systems have advantages.

A manual safety may save your life in a gun grab.
    Not having to remember to take the safety off may save your life.

Best bet is to pick a system and stick to it. Don't switch back and forth. Make it second nature.

Ideally
    Same Gun
    Same Holster
    Same Place
    Every Day

No I haven't got there yet, but I am closer than I used to be.

7. misawa

misawa New Member

I'm not a fan of any type of mechanical safety, save an internal type that makes sure the gun doesn't go bang when dropped. I also didn't care much for the Glock trigger safety - it just didn't feel right on my finger.

I have shot my uncle's Ruger P85 9mm and love it - I've not heard many unfavorable reviews personally. His pistol only has a de-cocker, not a safety.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I own/carry/shoot guns both with and without external safeties.

I love my S&W M&P-9, way more that I liked my Glock 17. neither have an external safety. When I sold my G17, it had around 6,000 rounds through it and never fired unless I squeezed the trigger. The same thing with my M&P-9, except for the 6,000 rounds. I only have about 750 through it so far. Just keep your finger off the trigger unless you plan on firing.

I also carry a Walther PPK/S with an external safety. I rarely use the safety. I don't want the extra step if I have to draw in a hurry. I will decock it, but switch the safety back off as soon as I do. The double action pull is a little stiff on that first round (about 16lbs), but I practice with it at the ramge. The single action follow up shots are about a 6lb pull.

9. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

This is why I have always been a Sig/Glock fan.

When the SHTF I don't want to worry about anything getting in my way. If you follow the 4 rules, you'll be fine.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, like holsters. That's why I Carry in The Hand!

:lol:

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:righton:

12. tony218

tony218 New Member

in hartsfield airport on top of that.

13. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

While wearing a ski mask as well!

:wink:

14. lowside

lowside New Member

Don't forget your trenchcoat! :lol:

15. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

I would agree that I felt the same in the first four hours of class. However, my struggle to futz around with the safety disappeared by day two, just because I'd drawn and flipped the safety off so many times. If you get good and smooth, you can easily get the safety off before you get into a proper initial firing position (step two!) at close range.

So, buy whatever you feel comfortable with, just train with it like you'd actually employ it. Old, tired, dead beaten horse, but that's the truth. If you go with a safety and train with it for a while, you may very well unconsciously do a sweep to flick off the safety even if you replace a weapon with an external safety with a weapon that doesn't have one. Doesn't hurt :)

16. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

My inexperienced self basically agrees with LSU.
    I started out with a small caliber Walther with a manual safety. I didn't practice to excess with it so flipping the safety certainly seemed to take an extra amount of time and attention. Those are two things I don't want have to spend if things ever go bad. I now carry a glock and have not had a single issue or even concern. It stays in one of two holsters at all times, both cover the trigger & guard so I'm not worried about anything accidentally snagging the trigger. If it is not in one of those holsters I make certain my finger ain't on the boom switch and that I am particularly careful as far as moving about or who/what is moving about around me. Observe the 4 rules & you should be good to go.

I would say that if you are going to have a manual safety then you should practice enough with it so that you flipping it to "hot" is automatic in your brain.

17. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Personally, I'm not a fan of the trigger safety. Just feels weird to me. While my Beretta does have a manual safety, I never carry with it engaged. So no extra steps needed. Just draw and pull the trigger. I do like though how I have the option to put the safety on if the need ever presented itself.

Claire, the 92F is a great gun. My Dad and Brother both have one and I've shot them many times. I was looking to buy one until I found the PX4 which fit my hand much better. Same safety features as the 92. Check it out in your search. I liked it better than the SW M&P. Now if they'd just start shipping the Subcompact version, I'd be a very happy man.

http://www.px4storm.com

18. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

I carry both a 92FS and a Glock 17.

I wont OC (open carry) anything without a manual safety, just the thought of someone grabbing it is to much.

I've seen gun guys pick up my beretta and not find the safety, so I am comfortable with open carry with it.

Pick what you like, i'll out draw+fire you with our without a safety.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Why would a manual safety make that much of a difference in that situation?

20. ber950

ber950 Active Member

According to Mas Ayoob there are documented cased of felons grabbing an officers gun but not being able to figure out the safety. The Officers were able to regain control of the weapon, pull a backup, or a partner stepped in.

You are familiar with the safety on your gun (hopefully) and if your a "gun person" you may be familiar with other safeties. Most felons are not.