Man With Guns Arrested On University Of South Florida Campus

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Man With Guns Arrested On University Of South Florida Campus

POSTED: 7:02 am EDT April 25, 2007

TAMPA, Fla. -- A man who was sleeping in his car parked on the University of South Florida campus was arrested after an officer saw a gun on the front seat, authorities said.

Cloal Lang Leatherman pulled his car into a parking lot outside the university police station early Tuesday morning, university police spokeswoman Meg Ross said. But officers became suspicious when he didn't get out of his car. The officers approached him and saw the loaded .38-caliber revolver on the seat beside him.

"He pulled into our parking lot because he thought it was a safe place to sleep," Ross told The Tampa Tribune. "He indicated he really doesn't have anywhere else to go."

Besides the revolver, Leatherman also had an unloaded shotgun and a knife in the car. Leatherman has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, and he told the police the weapons were for his protection.

"Anytime I've got someone on my campus with a gun, I don't know what's on the person's mind," USF Police Chief Tom Longo said. "The Virginia Tech incident raises everyone's awareness and our resolve to do something about this."

A gunman killed 32 people and himself at Virginia Tech University last week.

USF police concluded that there was no evidence Leatherman meant to harm anyone.

He was charged with possessing a firearm on school property. He was being held without bond.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They give homeless people firearms licenses in Florida?

3. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

If I were homeless, then I would want a gun...

So I could sell it an buy some DRUGS to ease my sorrows.

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Re: Man With Guns Arrested On University Of South Florida Ca