Man With Drug-Resistant TB Locked Up

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Rammstein, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Source

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

If I were the President, I would claim there is an outbreak of this stuff at Gitmo. Problem solved! :D

3. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

In a few months, the prison will look like...

[​IMG]

Brains...Brains...

4. Foul

Foul New Member

Can't we lock up Congress, the House and the President/Vice President for being common sense-resistant politicians?

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I get the no shower and quarantine part, but why have they "taken away his television, radio, personal phone and computer"?

I did not know you could spread TB by listening to the radio.

6. rajl

rajl New Member

Yeah, if you've got to quarantine him for public safety, go for it. But at least give him something to entertain himself while he twiddles his thumbs.

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

What? You never heard of a computer virus?

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Sure, I just did not know that a computer could cough on me and cause me to catch the Iloveyou virus... or vice versa, cough on it can cause it to catch TB.

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Once again, this sounds like everything is not disclosed/accurately reported.

The guy was arrested because he refused to wear a mask, but the wording the article sounds like he didn't know he was a supposed to. :?
    I tend to think that would be impossible. The doc's would have had to have told him to do that & likely provided him masks to wear. I can't imagine one trip to the gas station would result in being arrested either. How did anyone even know? My guess is this guy was told repeatedly & violated those instructions enough so that the powers that be were watching him. He stepped over the line one time too many & they locked him up. I do agree though that he should have all the comforts of home. And if they can filter his air, why not his grey water? Though I hate to see another expense put on the state (I guess?) they should have to put him somewhere with that kind of facilities or else install them wherever they are locking him up. Also if they are not letting him shower then they certainly would have been concerned with leaving him (or anyone else with this condition) at home where they could shower freely - which makes me think that anyone with an advanced enough case of this would be confined. The numbers just aren't adding up here...

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

What is at issue is is the government allowed to indefinitely detain people without charging them in the name of public safety?

Obviously, the government has the right to protect the public from serious, highly-contagious, incurable diseases....but is this the right precedent to set?

11. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Depends on the how highly contagious it is. Like I said above, something doesn't sound right. If this guy can't bath then I would think either
    A) he has a strain that is "super virulent" compared to the average strain of this type of TB (but wouldn't that make it a different strain?...) and wouldn't he then have been locked up as soon as this was realized.
    or
    B) This strain is so bad that everyone with it should be contained. But that's not happening so....

What gives?
    Sucks for this guy no matter what.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I would think if this were a truly highly-virulent strain then the CDC would have him quarantined in some facility. Not in the back of some police station....

13. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I don't get the no shower part. Presumably, this is to keep the bacteria out of the sewage system. But, if the guy wore his mask (as he apparently was supposed to), he would have been allowed to continue living at home and washing all the germs down the sewer that he cared to. This seems very odd to me.

14. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Maybe a late April 1 joke? the date on it is April 2, anyone confirm the article?

15. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I hear they put him on a P & P diet.

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well, depends on the facility. A shower all to himself (inside the quarentine zone) is one thing, but a larger communal shower area, even if alone would spread germs all over, meaning you would have to scrub the room after he showered before letting any other patients in.

Wet naps or towels can be tossed right into the bio-hazard container without the need of decontaminating the room after use.

17. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

this should take care of that problem.

[​IMG]

18. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Well, I don't know about the story about about 30 seconds on Google shows that the disease is real.

What is XDR-TB?

TB can usually be treated with a course of four standard, or first-line, anti-TB drugs. If these are misused or mismanaged, multidrugresistant TB (MDR-TB) can develop. MDR-TB takes longer to treat with second-line drugs, which are more expensive and have more side-effects. If these drugs are also misused or mismanaged, extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB) can develop. Because XDR-TB is resistant to first- and second-line drugs, treatment options are seriously limited and so are the chances of cure.

The source I was reading the above on also noted the the XDR strain isn't any more or less infectious than normal TB. Just once you get it you stand a good chance of taking a dirt nap.