Man Shot, Killed On His Way To Work

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Man Shot, Killed On His Way To Work

POSTED: 12:09 pm EDT October 4, 2007
    UPDATED: 12:45 pm EDT October 4, 2007

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- A DeKalb County man was shot and killed in his garage as he left for work Thursday morning, police said.

Residents in a Lithonia neighborhood said they are stunned and the victim’s wife is scared to leave her home. Neighbors said Lionel Callwood, 33, was leaving for work with his wife, Sheila, Thursday morning when an assailant attacked them in the garage of their home. Police said the attacker shot and killed Callwood. Family members said Sheila was able to run inside to safety and call for help.

“The investigation is still very preliminary at this time. We’re canvassing the neighborhood and talking to anybody who may have seen or heard anything,†said J.T. Ware with the DeKalb County Police Department.

Investigators widened the crime scene to search for evidence and to interview neighbors. Officials have not released a motive or description of the suspect.

“Obviously something that happens this early in the morning, when you are going about your morning routine, taking out the trash and getting ready for work…it’s always shocking,†said Ware.

Family members said Callwood was from St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands and worked two jobs. They said he was “good as gold.†Callwood and his wife had been married two years and had no enemies or reason for anyone to target them, according to family members.

Dozens of family members gathered and talked about Callwood’s constant smile and easy-going demeanor.

“He was a nice guy, an easy-going guy. He never bothered anybody and was quiet,†said Callwood’s brother-in-law Anthony Mack.

As police search for answers and a suspect, family members have a message for the killer. “We’d lie to catch you,†said Mack.

2. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Sounds random, but who knows......................And I just made a comment about carrying while taking the trash out or washing my truck!

3. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

another sheep plucked from the heard.

4. moga

moga New Member

Man, that's kinda harsh bro.

My wife leaves the garage for work every day just as the victim. I feel for his family and especially his spouse.

5. moga

moga New Member

Not me. I refused to disarm last weekend even to wash the dog in the driveway! Eventually I determined it was worth possibly getting my rig a little wet if it meant I'd have a chance to even the odds should something go down in a blink of an eye.

It never even got wet. I'm glad I did keep it on. YOU NEVER KNOW when some scumbag will pick you for an easy mark.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

7. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

yeah but the media loves to make it about the nice guy who was murdered with a gun. Not about the bad guy with the intent to kill.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Sure they gotta be remembered, but it seems a little bass ackwards in the wrong way.

9. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I was thinking about just this thing this morning. I always OC when I take the dog out after dark (at night) but realized this morning I didn't do it when I take him out in the morning (also dark). Starting tomorrow, that changes.

10. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

Hmm, I wonder how close to my apartment complex this took place.

I've lived in this place for a year now, and thankfully nothing has happened here that I know of. The most I've seen is dekalb county marshalls a couple of times early in the morning. I figured that they maybe show up to serve some court papers or something (or maybe to apprehend a wanted fugitive :shock: ), who knows.

I don't mean to jack the thread and I apologize, but I'm just curious.
    Does anybody have any idea what marshalls do? Their crown vics were clearly marked as "Dekalb County Marshall" instead of "Dekalb county police", and the couple of times I've seen them in the parking lot is early in the morning between 7:00 and 7:30 am. :?:

11. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I think Marshalls do court security and serve papers. Are these guys also the ones that issue citations for stuff like "quality of life" violations - junk cars, couches on the porch, etc.?

12. larz

larz Member

DeKalb county..............always carry.....nuf said......

13. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

+1