Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
68,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He ejected the magazine from the gun, ejected the round from the chamber, and reinserted the ejected round back into the magazine, he told police. He then attempted to put the magazine back in the gun but it didn't fit right. Not being familiar with the Smith & Wesson Springfield .40-caliber handgun, although he said it was his personal gun . . . he thought if he pulled the trigger the magazine would seat properly," Glickauf told police.

Instead, the gun fired and the bullet went into his upper left thigh.

Glickauf, who shattered his femur into eight pieces when the gun fired, will not physically be able to work . . .
http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter/28 ... 05.article

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
What a moron, everyone knows that you always point the firearm away from yourself when you pull the trigger to seat the magazine correctly. Sheesh some people :shakehead:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Glickauf, who shattered his femur into eight pieces when the gun fired, will not physically be able to work . . .
How does he know he can't work? Maybe he should pull on random parts of his body just to see if that will make him "work".

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
N.T.F.S. said:
What a moron, everyone knows that you always point the firearm away from yourself when you pull the trigger to seat the magazine correctly. Sheesh some people :shakehead:
Wait, was this his duty weapon? Why would anyone be alarmed that a LEO had a gun? This guy doesn't need to be on the job if he's worried about alarming people over the presence of his firearm.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,469 Posts
Just read the full article. this man not only has a gun... he also has a... badge! :screwy:

·
Registered
619 Posts
HERE IS MY BIG ISSUE: WHEN DID SMITH &WESSON AND SPRINGFIELD COME TOGETHER?!! I GUESS THAT'S THE WAY THEY DO IT OUT THERE IN CASE THEY ARE SUED?!!

But yeah, that guy is a bafoon and maybe that firearms training had not fully been absorbed, yet?!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
As I recall several deparments in Indiana have been issuing Springfield XD's in Smith & Wesson .40...
too bad few journalists take the time to get the nomenclature right....

and in the officers defense... those striker fired weapons can be SOOOOOOooo confusing...
I mean where'd they hide the hammer... :lol:

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
antjay76 said:
HERE IS MY BIG ISSUE: WHEN DID SMITH &WESSON AND SPRINGFIELD COME TOGETHER?!! I GUESS THAT'S THE WAY THEY DO IT OUT THERE IN CASE THEY ARE SUED?!!

But yeah, that guy is a bafoon and maybe that firearms training had not fully been absorbed, yet?!!
I'm guessing it was a Springfield .40S&W (XD40?), but who knows from that abortion of a description...

·
Registered
247 Posts
He was in his vehicle in the parking lot just before 2:30 p.m. when he decided not to alarm any other parents by walking in with his firearm on his hip. He also did not want to leave a loaded gun unattended in the vehicle.
Then why did he attempt to reinsert the magazine? Of course I am relying heavily on the "facts" in the article.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,469 Posts
JDcollins78 said:
... Of course I am relying heavily on the "facts" in the article.
Yea, I'm surprised the writer didn't call it an Assault Rifle... :screwy:

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
SoonerPast said:
The article didn't indicate if indeed, that helped to seat the magazine.
Quoted for truth, I've been wondering the same thing since I read the article.

·
68,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mountainpass said:
Now here is a thorough report. For those worried about who picked up his son
Glickauf's mother responded to pick up his son.
Edit: There is a pop-up at link.
The shooting occurred at 2:25 p.m. Wednesday outside the nursery at First Presbyterian Church of Valparaiso, 3401 N. Valparaiso St.

Glickauf told police that when he arrived to pick up his son he didn't want the gun on his hip to alarm other parents.
I think they are more alarmed now than had he just carried.

Now what is wrong with this sequence of events. Something sounds a little fishy to me.

Glickauf told police he didn't want to leave a loaded gun unattended in his truck so he ejected the magazine from the gun, ejected the round from the chamber and put the ejected round in the magazine.

Glickauf told police he tried to put the magazine back in the gun, but it would not seat properly. He stated he was not familiar with the weapon, so he thought pulling the trigger would allow the magazine to seat properly. But when he pulled the trigger, he shot himself. He then called 911.
Why is he putting the magazine back in if he wants the gun to be unloaded? Did he really think he could squeeze that extra round back into the magazine? This whole thing makes no sense.

·
68,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I did not know what it was in "hands," and cubits hardly seemed useful for an object so small.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Zounds, man! :eek:ldtimer: We shall have to consult an apothecary to determine the precise weight of such a small quantity.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts