Man pulls gun on several people on dog park during argument

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by ICP_Juggalo, May 30, 2019.

1. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I can think of as many reasons as there are dogs in the park at the time.

Last edited: May 30, 2019

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Did anybody see him "point the gun at two persons?" I didn't.

4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Seems the sheriff is a nickle short. Maybe a dime or 3.

Nemo

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

"Pounds also said that he doesn't understand why anyone would bring a gun to a dog park in the first place."

Well, Sheriff, perhaps to keep from getting bit by a large aggressive dog, or to keep one from biting your dog?

Or perhaps to protect yourself from a drugged up idiot wielding a knife or some other weapon?

Or perhaps to protect yourself from robbing thugs while walking back to your car?

Or perhaps to protect yourself from a hit if some gang-banger mistakes you for someone who caused him trouble before?

Shall I go on?

So tell us Sheriff, why do YOU carry a gun in a park while off-duty, or in a grocery store? Do you think the squirrels will throw nuts at you, or that the lettuce will attack you?

To educate you, sir, WE mere "civilians" carry a gun in places where you shouldn't need a gun, because those are the places where you DO need a gun when things go bad. Yes, things do go bad sometimes, even in nice places.

Ronnie and gunsmoker like this.
  6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Where's the video?

In the OP, there's a link to a WSB TV story, which only has text and a single still freeze-frame from a video. That image shows the man pointing a pistol downward toward the ground at a 45° angle.

But, I have said many times before that you can be charged with aggravated assault for merely brandishing a gun during a confrontation /angry argument.

"Aggravated assault" does not require pointing the gun at a person, just pulling it out and making it visible in a way that indicates you're about to use it is enough.

So, perhaps the man was charged with "pointing a pistol at another" (even though that doesn't exactly fit the facts) because the cops believe that he deserves a misdemeanor level sanction rather than a felony level penalty for his behavior.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Cue all the know-it-alls who say that if there is no statute found in OCGA entitled "brandishing" or using the term "brandish" in the body of the statute, then brandishing a gun during an argument simply cannot be a crime. Impossible.

8. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I clicked the link in the OP and the video works for me.

This may be a good example of someone who sees a gun as a hammer, and they see nails all around them.

9. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

The video starts way too late to have any idea as to what transpired. I don't know what kind of threats he was facing prior to pulling the pistol. There do see to be a fair number of agitated people there. I suspect that he could have withdrawn from the situation and that pulling the pistol was an attempt at intimidation and wasn't the best way to handle it. But again, none of that is on the video. The video made mention of an arrest on misdemeanor charges of pointing the pistol at people, but I don't see that in the video.

I agree that the Sheriff is off-base with suggesting that you don't need to carry in a dog park. That makes no sense. You need to carry everywhere. Period. If we could predict where we were going to encounter violent crime, then we wouldn't go. This isn't minority report - this is real life.

Ronnie likes this.
  10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

There must be another video because I didn't see Partin point his gun at anybody either. Was he "defending" himself? Possibly. There were tempers and that fellow Mungin looks substantially larger than Partin. Doesn't matter if he was unarmed. Disparity of force. We should all know that. And doesn't matter who was what color.

11. moe mensale

And Sheriff Pounds is a moron.

EJR914 likes this.
  12. wee

wee Active Member

Why do I get the idea that a pitbull might have started all this in the first place....?

Brian

13. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

If you're gonna pull a gun, pull the trigger.

If you don't need to shoot, you should have picked another tool.

Based on the very brief story, the man should have just taken his dog and gone on home as soon as there was any sort of confrontation over his dog being aggressive.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  14. mrhutch

It did. His pitbull.

15. moe mensale

Partin's leashed black & white dog isn't a pit bull.

16. mrhutch

I misread. For some reason I thought it said Partins pit bit her dog but my brain must have added "pit".

17. Ronnie

Ronnie Member

Sheriff stated he could not understand why you would carry a gun to a dog park; well this incident is an example of why you would or should carry everywhere. You never know where, when or how a threat might present itself.