Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=55208

A homeowner in Finland has been sentenced to four years in jail and a hefty fine after fighting off three intruders who attempted to rob his house. The thieves, meanwhile, got lesser prison terms and are to be paid damages by their victim.

In April, a 35-year-old man from Hyvinkää, a town just 50km north of the Finnish capital, Helsinki, heard a knock on the front door of his suburban house and rushed to open it. As soon as he unlocked it, three strangers rushed in and launched at him, toting baseball bats and a gun. The man retreated to the kitchen, where he found a knife and with it was able to overpower the intruders, two men and one woman.

One man armed only with a knife fought off three armed robbers with a gun.

Rather than get a medal and a parade held in his honor, he's getting a jail sentence.

The court spent nearly four months examining the case to come up with the unexpected ruling.

The homeowner has been convicted of “excessive self-defense and attempted manslaughter,†Helsinki news reports. He will serve an unconditional sentence for four years and two months, which he has to spend in prison. The man also has to pay damages to his attackers, with the fine totaling €21,000 (US$23,000). The newspaper does not provide information on the severity of injuries sustained by the home-invaders, however, it is known that they survived the event.
more at the above link.

·
69,784 Posts
I do not believe that the facts are as stated. I think that they are being twisted to fit into a narrative that would cause outrage.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not believe that the facts are as stated. I think that they are being twisted to fit into a narrative that would cause outrage.
here's a google translation of the original finn news story...
Hyvinkää District Court has ruled on a case in which hyvinkääläisasunnossa fierce violence was used.

Ottavina and beneficiaries of the apartment were so resident the apartment from intruders.

events for the current year in April as weapons were firearm, isoteräinen knife and baseball bats.

The headlong assault began as soon as the occupant had opened the apartment door. The resident retreated to the kitchen, where he brought the knife as a weapon, which was used by batterers to.

Judgment had used a knife a resident of the apartment, as well as three apartments came four people.

Homeowners resident, 35-year-old man was sentenced done LEGITIMATE SELF-PROTECTION exaggeration of attempted manslaughter and two of attempted manslaughter.

On conviction, was a four-year and two-month unconditional sentence of imprisonment, less the period of deprivation of liberty.

The man was ordered to pay the victims of various forms of compensation, totaling more than EUR 21 000.

Came to the apartment of 35-year-old man was sentenced to a felony home invasion, assault and firearms crime.

On conviction was for one year, two months and 15 days' conditional imprisonment with a probation period ends in July 2018.

30-year-old man was sentenced to a felony home invasion and assault.

On conviction, the one-year and two-month suspended prison sentence by the trial period ends in July 2018.

In addition, the man was sentenced to a fine of 50 days, a total of 300 euros.

36-year-old woman was sentenced to a felony home invasion and assault.

On conviction, the one-year and two-month unconditional sentence of imprisonment, less the period of deprivation of liberty.

The trio was ordered to pay the apartment inhabitants of pain, suffering and other temporary disability thousand euros, as well as felony home invasion and assault suffered damages of EUR 3 000.
from...

http://www.helsinginuutiset.fi/artikkeli/414476-asukas-sai-tuomion-hatavarjelun-liioittelusta-aseina-pesapallomailat-isoterainen

·
American
3,289 Posts
Too bad they don't have a Castle Doctrine or Stand Your Ground law........

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Do you mind if I ask you what gives you that impression? Just asking honestly.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,176 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
Nothing new. Hasn't stuff like this happened in Britain and Australia? When the people get enough of it, they'll put a stop to it.

I hope their politicians understand this. Perhaps they have a plan to flee to the U.S. when their citizens revolt. If so, I wish I could be one of the ones at our border to force them to go back. They made their bed, they can lie in it.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Story above is on other websites. Seems accurate.

I just googled the entire title of lead post. Those who know any google fu (I don't) should easily get more detail.

Nemo

https://www.rt.com/news/352236-jail-finland-court-robbery/ Carbon copy tho.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3328144/ho...s-home-from-intruders-ordered-to-pay-damages/

http://www.newsneck.com/4yrs-in-jai...tenced-after-defending-against-home-invasion/
Ummm, no. If a single news outlet posts a story and multiple outlets repeat that same information sourced to that one outlet does not mean it is corroborated.

It must be independently confirmed, not simply regurgitated.

·
69,784 Posts
It's not phaed I am doubting, but the reporting.

There are many ways even here in the US that response to a home invasion could be excessive and land you in prison.

The news story does not give enough facts to know what really happened. I think that is intentional to stir up emotion, and, more importantly, viewers.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Good Lord you'd hope that story isn't even remotely correct. It does remind me about how Sanders and Obama said we need to be more like Scandinavian countries...

·
Registered
14,956 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Yes, one instance I can think of is executing a home invader when they are no longer a threat, that's illegal and murder

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,176 Posts
Yes, one instance I can think of is executing a home invader when they are no longer a threat, that's illegal and murder
Seems to me a home invader is no longer a threat only after they are executed.

Nemo

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Yes. Especially when they keep coming back for more easy pickings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.