Man gets shot arguing with car booting employee

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by Schweisshund, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/booting-shooting-victim-thankful-alive/CwLOXHolp8k6b9A9Jz4pcI/

snip ....

This sentence in the article prompted me to ask out loud ... "So, how many people actually handle their car being booted in a calm manner?"

Most people flip their lid .... throw money on the ground ... stuff like that.

2. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I was visiting a friend in the Tri-State Area of DC and had my car towed from his guest spot. I walked out to get my suitcase from my car, and it was gone. I panicked ... I thought my car had been stolen. Apparently, there are some predatory towing companies up there ... it's a real problem.

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

What did Stevens do, if anything, to provoke the booter to return to his car and retrieve a gun?

How do you not know you shot somebody when they're bleeding and you're the guy with the gun?

There's got to be more involved here than what's in the article.

Schweisshund likes this.
  4. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

I have a couple thoughts here. First it's safe to assume the guy shot had been drinking. And knowing that spot there are alot of "dont you know who I am" types that drink there.

On the other hand these booting companies make used car salesmen look like saints.

5. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense that the booting guy would shoot him, then remove two (?) boots so he could drive himself to a hospital.

On an unrelated note, anyone know what sort of tools would be needed to remove a boot without damaging it or the vehicle? Asking for a friend.

6. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

stock-photo-worker-inside-factory-cut-metal-using-blowtorch-50074234.jpeg

7. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

What happens if you carry your own boot, slap it on their vehicle, then offer a trade? I know when police are called, they usually ignore it because it's a civil matter (until something like this happens), would that still be the case?

Squid and Craftsman like this.
  8. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Sounds like an experiment...

9. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

How about that?

10. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Is there a law that allows these private companies to boot an individual's vehicle? I know there are towing laws, but what about booting?

11. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Cordless angle grinder with a thin disk.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

13. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

My question was in relation to if there is no law specifically allowing it, then you are tampering with someone's property.

14. majorwoo

majorwoo Active Member

I submit for your enjoyment, a story I heard about, and can vouch for it's authenticity:

I had my vehicle booted in downtown ATL some years ago. My full size SUV was too large for the hotel parking garage where my daughter had an event. I was referred across the street by the hotel staff to park in the lot they were "associated" with. (I later found out that associated consisted of they send people with large vehicles there). I had unknowingly bought the advertised $8 "overnight" parking pass (parking Saturday night at 10pm, leaving Sunday at 10am) instead of the "necessary" $9 "weekend" one). I called the office and spoke to someone who said they would have a manager call me back but in the meantime my only option was to pay the $75 fee if I wanted my vehicle back before Monday. (This has been summarized for clarity, it actually took me like 5 phone calls to get this information and to find out that no one was in fact calling me back before Monday).

I feel I handled it pretty calmly - having worked for a locksmith for ~10 years growing up it was somewhat trivial to remove the boot without doing any damage to it. I didn't want someone to steal his equipment though, so I asked the technician where he wanted me to put it (yes, he did pause for a second as we both acknowledge the easy joke we ignored). We had a discussion about the legality of the sticker he placed on the boot claiming it was a $500 fine for touching it (not just tampering - touching). I was somewhat annoyed and wrote on another sticker saying "don't boot my truck" and told him it was worth about as much as his sticker. He decided he couldn't accept the boot without having received payment to remove it - and didn't seem to understand my explanation that I didn't need his "removal service" - I just didn't want his property lying around in a parking lot. Finally I decided that by securing it to the tire of his vehicle it wouldn't be stolen - and I wouldn't be held responsible for the units (both of them, they put 2 boots on my truck). As an added bonus, I explained he could now perform his "removal service" and obtain payment for such.

He claimed he was calling the police, so I posed politely next to my vehicle for him to get a good photo (kill them with kindness right?). There are pictures of me somewhere - some of the local residents were cheering and snapping pictures as I left. I never got a call back from the company on Monday, and I never had any future contact regarding this issue so who knows!

In summary: an additional $1 could have saved me several hours and cost me a lot of amusement.

IANAL - my understanding is that you shouldn't interfere with boots owned by the city as they are public property and protected by law. In this case, it was a private parking company working for the owner of the private parking lot.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yep, that was an enjoymentable story!

16. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I guy I work with used a cordless grinder to cut one off, then after being threatened with charges of theft he welded it back together, cleaned up the welds and painted it a very similar color paint.

17. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

The only parking lot stories I have are a couple people parking so close I could not get in my car.
    Both stories could get me in trouble.
    Too bad about those cars.

18. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

How can they claim theft when they gave it to him?

19. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

When the doors are off my jeep I like to park on the driver's side of double parked cars and spend an extra hour in the store.

20. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

That's good, if you carry 4 spare tires.
    Making a triple-parked situation ? Never seen that.