Man fatally shot after being mistaken for deer during hunting trip

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by DKW, Sep 30, 2019.

1. DKW

DKW Active Member

Not a hunter myself and you hear about this type of thing a couple of times a year. I just don't understand anyone in the woods shooting just at movement without know what you are actually shooting at.

Maybe extinuating circumstances (i.e. hunting outside of season and maybe the guy who got shot wasn't wearing orange vest because of being outside of season). But still doesn't justify this.

These guys in these incidents need to spend a long time in prison.

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-n...r-during-hunting-trip/1GLH9MayDalUcGNCK13OcJ/

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Bobby! Where are you? I see a deer! Bobby? Aw, hell. I'mma take the shot.............

3. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

4. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

This is why I hunt alone. It is not firearm season until Oct. 19, 2019. Although I have already surprised 2 individuals on our property. I was bow hunting when they walked under me. Good thing I carry my AR and pistol for just in case times like these.

These guys from Glynn co. are just plain idiots. You make your bed, sleep in it.

blind_shake likes this.
  5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why are they trespassing?

6. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Why are they not?

Baba Yaga likes this.
  7. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

What did they say when you called them out?

8. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

I don't know what the two hunters actually said to the DNR/LEO, but you can hunt hogs in Georgia year round with rifles, handguns, shotguns, muzzle loaders or bows.

Glynn County has plenty of hogs.

9. DKW

DKW Active Member

All the articles I have read says he was shooting at a deer.

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yeah, they need to be a criminal prosecution over this poaching out of season and hunting without the required orange is both illegal and dangerous.

If you commit a felony level crime that is dangerous and somebody dies as a result you are charged with "felony murder." If you commit a misdemeanor level crime that is dangerous and somebody dies as a result you can be charged with misdemeanor manslaughter.

Georgia even has a special type of criminal charge to be used when somebody does a negligent act that is not a crime but nonetheless results in the death. That can result in criminal charges not just a lawsuit, if somebody committed "a lawful act in an unlawful manner." (How's that for the legislature abdicating it's duty to make the law and passing the buck to judges?)

StarJack and Baba Yaga like this.
  11. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

We have 400 acres of land for growing long leaf pine. Access via dirt road 1.5 miles from nearest highway. I have not seen Hog sign as of yet and that's been 20 years. I have caught on camera multiple 8 pointers and small herds of doe. Our property in surrounded by several timber company's land somewhere near 3000 acres in total. They charge upwards of 2500 per hunter for access, Mine is off limits due to massive poaching over the years. Tried the DNR approach but they are only getting more officers now versus last 10 years. Most of the DNR are covering worse spots like glynn county but not ours. At 3 in the morning you get a call, and they get to the site by 5, well there gone. Have shown up at 2 am just to be shot at and have bullets hit my truck. Use to be I could still hunt on the property (sneak up on them)but no longer. More than once I have ushered people off the property after scaring the **** out of them. I have all the appropriate signs posted at all access points stating No trespassing, no weapons allowed and have standing orders with the DNR to arrest and prosecute to fullest extent possible. If you do not have a valid permission slip from any landowner you should not be there. I do not allow access to anyone but the DNR.

And yet they still come as they please. Cut out the back straps and hind quarters and leave the rest. Still I have to patrol the property on occasion to keep the traffic to a minimum due to family right down the road. they have youg-uns and could be subject to random gun fire from idiots like in Gylnn county.

So the answer to the question would be year round hunting. Turkey, DEER, rabbits, squirrels, etc, etc. Not to mention the ATV traffic. Think I have that under control, for, I have taken a couple atvs from them and gave it to the sheriffs dept for them to reclaim. Don't see much of them anymore. Although I have been told by family that others have seen me patrol the property with my AR. Saw a significant drop for a while there.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  12. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

They shouted at me " you need to get off our property!" while looking into the woods across from me and the tree I was in. I stayed quiet for a moment and said over here. When they looked up at me and my AR, assholes and elbows is all I saw.
    Ruined the days hunt though.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I got frustrated just reading that

Savannah Dan and blind_shake like this.
  14. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Poachers are a bigger problem down in this part of the world than ever before. With all the WMA locations in this part of the State we should not have this issue. Some of them are just downright dangerous which is why when I go checking out my land I'm carrying a black rifle. I should not have to do that but the reality is some of the poachers are just plain dangerous. Many times the ones that do get caught are from nowhere around here. Most come out of Chatham county with many out of the Atlanta metro area and that is by no means throwing shade at all you good people up that way. Down in the Glynn county area its people from Flordia that are the issue and they seem to be the worst of the lot. Most anyone who wants to hunt here can find good free hunting by acting like a decent person and asking for permission. The farmers here have a huge deer issue and are having to kill hundreds in the late spring and early summer to offset crop damage.

15. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

Our property is in Bacon county Ga. Several of the local young men 18-20 something feel they can do whatever whenever without recourse. Even had one young mans father show up threatening to kick my ass. We talked, I explained my position, we shook hands, boys rifles were taken away. I recognize this as a rare situation, I'll take what I can get, and hopefully move on. So far this year, its been quite,.... maybe too quite. LOL

16. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

https://www.wtoc.com/2019/09/29/glynn-co-man-fatally-shot-while-hunting/

17. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Shooting at any noise you hear or anything that you see move is not hunting. Hunting involves properly identifying your target, your likelihood of a good kill-shot, and the safety of your shot (e.g. what's behind your target, what can come between you and your target, etc.).

TimBob likes this.
  18. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Shooting someone thinking it is a game animal is totally inexcusable. I know a defense attorney doing his job would disagree as well he should but it is murder plain and simple. A few years back there was a case somewhere in the South in which a idiot shot a hunter out of a deer stand 20 feet up in a tree.His excuse was a thought it was a turkey. I rest my case.

19. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Under the circumstances here, unless the 4th charge is some type of manslaughter charge, he isn't looking at much.

Nemo

https://www.wtoc.com/2019/09/29/glynn-co-man-fatally-shot-while-hunting/

20. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Game wardens issue warning ahead of Saturday start to firearms deer season
    [​IMG]
    Game wardens with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources are warning people to take precautions once firearms deer season starts Saturday. (Source: WTOC)
    By Emileigh Forrester | October 16, 2019 at 11:54 AM EDT - Updated October 16 at 8:12 PM
    ALBANY, Ga. (WALB) - Firearms deer hunting season officially starts Saturday in Georgia.

Before you pack your gear, game wardens with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) have a warning.

It comes after police said that a teen hunter, Bobby Lane, 17, was shot and killed in Brunswick in September. Investigators reported that they believe another hunter with Lane shot him, thinking he was a deer.

They arrested the other hunter, charging him with multiple counts including misusing a gun while hunting resulting in serious bodily harm to another.

South Georgia game wardens with DNR, including Eric White, want to keep a tragedy like that from happening here.

[​IMG]
    South Georgia game wardens with DNR, including Eric White, want to keep a hunting tragedy from happening. (Source: WALB)
    “The more people, the more firearms that you have in the woods, the more it increases the likelihood of something happening,” White said. “Whether it’s somebody failing to identify their target, mistaking somebody for game, failing to recognize what’s beyond their target or what could walk in front of their target.”

So, White offered some safety tips:

• Always wear an orange vest, from the moment you leave to hunt to the moment you get back. White said that the orange vest identifies you to fellow hunters and can also help first responders find you if something were to go wrong. Even if you’re not hunting and you’re out in the woods, it’s still important to wear that hunter’s orange.
    • Identify your target. Make sure what you’re shooting at is a deer.
    • Tell someone specifically where you’re going, what time you should be back and how to get in touch with you.
    DNR also offers hunter safety courses.
    [ To sign up, click here. ]

From https://www.wtoc.com/2019/10/16/gam...ng-ahead-saturday-start-firearms-deer-season/

Baba Yaga likes this.