Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/27003224/detail.html

Don't have a stroke, diabetic comma, or any other medical event while driving. The poor soul in this news article was unfortunate in that respect, and got dragged from his car by a police officer and had his head whack the ground causing additional injury.

While the majority of cops don't do this, far too many of them do. I try to be optimistic and not see it as those cops being heartless, but rather receiving poor training in dealing with people with medical issues.

This is gonna be another big lawsuit that will help educate the police. Guess they prefer expensive rather than inexpensive education.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yeah, all it would take is some training. Being in the EMS field (fire service) it's quite easy to spot someone having a stroke or blood sugar issues. While the untrained eye might think they are intoxicated there are subtle differences in how they act and respond.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The stroke the man had was ischemic in nature and I would doubt that it was as a result of him being taken out of vehicle. It would have been much more likely that he had a hemorrhagic stroke from trauma, not an ischemic stroke.

I don't see how you can immediately jump on the cop about it. They stopped the guy and for some reason the guy couldn't or wouldn't comply with commands given by the cop. They drag him from the car and he hits his head on the ground. They give him a field sobriety test which he fails. Then instead of taking him to jail, they took him to the hospital. Seems to me like that sensed something was wrong with the guy and wanted to get him checked out.

The gentleman that had the stroke said that it was caused by the cops slamming his head on the ground, I got some bad news for him....head trauma results in bleeding strokes, not clot strokes. The guy also said that he suffered "severe brain damage" because of the officers. Really? Looks like he is walking and talking just fine to me. He has appropriate sentence structure, and suffers no stutter or dysphasia that I can see, not to mention he evidently suffers from no antero or retrograde amnesia. Exactly what was damaged. 4 Days in the ICU is nothing in the grand scheme of strokes. Maybe some video will surface that shows exactly what happened.

Imagine the story was something like this instead.

An off-duty firefighter calls police to tell them that a driver is weaving all over the road. The police then do nothing, completely ignoring the call. The driver that was weaving all over the road then runs a red light smashing into a van of children killing two instantly and then 9 more kids are burned to death after the gas tank explodes. THe gentleman that caused the accident lives and as it turns out he was having a stroke and didn't realize it, that is why he was weaving. He sues the police saying they should have responded and the kids would be alive, and he wouldn't have suffered "severe brain damage" as a result.

But hey this is GPDO where the cop is always wrong. There is always a complete failure to distinguish the unnecessary from the unfortunate here. If it turns out that it was a legitimate case of police brutality and the stroke was caused by the head trauma, and the guy is actually suffering from some neurological deficiency, then I'll suffer the indignity of eating a bacon wrapped piece of coyote backstrap.
(children placed in story cause it's always "for the kids")

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
medicOC said:
The stroke the man had was ischemic in nature and I would doubt that it was as a result of him being taken out of vehicle. It would have been much more likely that he had a hemorrhagic stroke from trauma, not an ischemic stroke.

I don't see how you can immediately jump on the cop about it. They stopped the guy and for some reason the guy couldn't or wouldn't comply with commands given by the cop. They drag him from the car and he hits his head on the ground. They give him a field sobriety test which he fails. Then instead of taking him to jail, they took him to the hospital. Seems to me like that sensed something was wrong with the guy and wanted to get him checked out.

The gentleman that had the stroke said that it was caused by the cops slamming his head on the ground, I got some bad news for him....head trauma results in bleeding strokes, not clot strokes. The guy also said that he suffered "severe brain damage" because of the officers. Really? Looks like he is walking and talking just fine to me. He has appropriate sentence structure, and suffers no stutter or dysphasia that I can see, not to mention he evidently suffers from no antero or retrograde amnesia. Exactly what was damaged. 4 Days in the ICU is nothing in the grand scheme of strokes. Maybe some video will surface that shows exactly what happened.

An off-duty firefighter calls police to tell them that a driver is weaving all over the road. The police then do nothing, completely ignoring the call. The driver that was weaving all over the road then runs a red light smashing into a van of children killing two instantly and then 9 more kids are burned to death after the gas tank explodes. THe gentleman that caused the accident lives and as it turns out he was having a stroke and didn't realize it, that is why he was weaving. He sues the police saying they should have responded and the kids would be alive, and he wouldn't have suffered "severe brain damage" as a result.

But hey this is GPDO where the cop is always wrong. There is always a complete failure to distinguish the unnecessary from the unfortunate here. If it turns out that it was a legitimate case of police brutality and the stroke was caused by the head trauma, and the guy is actually suffering from some neurological deficiency, then I'll suffer the indignity of eating a bacon wrapped piece of coyote backstrap.
Best. Rant. Ever. =D>

·
Registered
509 Posts
medicOC said:
:screwy:

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts
cherok said:
medicOC said:
Yeah, medicOC is nuts for not assuming the cop is completely wrong.

·
Registered
509 Posts
budder said:
cherok said:
medicOC said:
No... He's nuts for suggesting that all of us always think the cop is wrong. When in reality the cops are human and therefore are likely to be wrong in many of the same situations us "regular" folk would be. To hold anyone above another is :screwy:

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,026 Posts
Re: Re: Man Fails Sobriety Test Because of a Stroke - Gets Slamm

cherok said:
budder said:
cherok said:
medicOC said:
No... He's nuts for suggesting that all of us always think the cop is wrong. When in reality the cops are human and therefore are likely to be wrong in many of the same situations us "regular" folk would be. To hold anyone above another is :screwy:
But then again some ppl have a disdain for the police because some people have been wronged by them they have a paranoid attitude around them. Where its always best to give them the benefit of the doubt. Respect is a 2 way street.

sent from my h4x0r3d capybara using my brain and thumbs.

·
Registered
875 Posts
MesaCranker said:
medicOC said:

Best. Rant. Ever. =D>
Not really...

Was the guy having a stroke when they pulled him over? Or is he claiming that he had the stroke after he hit his head? If the latter then why did the police yank him out of his car to hit his head? If the former then why did the police yank him out of his car to hit his head?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Campeck1911 said:
MesaCranker said:
medicOC said:

Best. Rant. Ever. =D>
Not really...

Was the guy having a stroke when they pulled him over? Or is he claiming that he had the stroke after he hit his head? If the latter then why did the police yank him out of his car to hit his head? If the former then why did the police yank him out of his car to hit his head?
While I am not privy to the man's medical records, it makes no sense that a blow to the head would cause the type of stroke this man suffered. It is my guess that the man was having the stroke when he was pulled over.

It would be very easy to mistake some strokes for someone being intoxicated. That makes it easy to understand why the cops took him to the hospital to be checked out, instead of him going to jail.

It is possible that the cops caused the man to having a stroke. If the man was suffering from a deep vein thrombosis, which is common in truck drivers, then when the cops pulled him from the car, it is possible that they could have dislodged the clot which then would have traveled up to his heart, through his lungs, back to his heart, and then up to his head. In this instance it would have been more likely that he suffered a pulmonary embolus than a stroke.

I'm under no illusion that all cops are perfect. There are some out there that are bad people, in this instance the guys story doesn't pass my sniff test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts