Man down

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by The Chili Pros, Dec 8, 2010.

1. The Chili Pros

The Chili Pros New Member

I didn't want to hijack another mans thread.
    My wife and I call it this when our dog gets down with his issues. Seizuires?
    A couple of you guys have seen this with your pets, I am curious if it is the same you have seen?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is his man down pics. He staggers around for about an hour before he falls down. After he is down its about 2-4 hrs before he has his mind right to get back up. After we see the sea turtle walk we have found out he wants up, we have to pick him up and hold him to get his balance, he then walks like he is drunk for a while and eventually comes out of it. After he comes out he wimpers the rest of the day. We gave him a big bone, it stopped the crying but he forgot how to put his feet on it to eat it?
    This happens every day.
    Do you guys with pets with this issue have the same problems? I took a video of him and would email if the pics dont help. The pics show the position of his feet, his back are usually behind him, like a sea turtle?
    Thanks guys,

2. JMan

JMan New Member

AWWWWWWWWW

I have never dealt with a problem like this , looks seems cute but sad though :(

Is he in pain?

3. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

I had a Pomeranian that would have seizures kind of like that. His would happen suddenly. He would start shaking, go stiff, and his legs would spread out like that. Also, he was disoriented. I learned to put Karo syrup on his tongue and he would be normal again in about 10 minutes. The doctor said that it was related to his blood sugar. The little guy never did eat right and I ended up feeding him baby food 2 -3 times a day. He was only 3 1bs fully grown and had health problems because of his size. But, he was the sweetest dog I've ever had and I miss him a lot.

What does your vet say about your dog?

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Tons of possibilities from Meniere's Disease and other middle ear problems, to a brain lesion, or seizures. This is not Grand Mal, but could represent a Petit Mal episode. Time to take the dog, and the video, to the vet.

5. The Chili Pros

We have been to the vet 3 times, they just keep uping the dosage phenobarbetol? We have not done a video yet.
    What is this thing you speak of?

6. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

Why is this medication prescribed?

Phenobarbital, a barbiturate, is used to control epilepsy (seizures) and as a sedative to relieve anxiety. It is also used for short-term treatment of insomnia to help you fall asleep.

This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000542

7. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

One vet kept saying that my dog had epilepsy and wanted to give him phenobarbital. That's when I took him to the UGA Vet school and they figured out his real problem. That was expensive, but worth it. Maybe a 2nd opinion from another vet would be worth it.

8. The Chili Pros

We may not of described the symptoms properly? We call it a seizure?

9. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Petit Mals are minor seizures of sorts. They just don't reach their full potential, and result in loss of bowel or bladder control (like the Grand Mal does). When humans do it, it can often look like they're daydreaming.

Meniere's is an inner ear problem that results in dizziness, hence the wide stance. They're literally afraid to move.

10. The Chili Pros

Thanks Country,
    He has had cronic ear issues since he was a puppy, you may have stumbled onto somthing

11. The Chili Pros

Thanks Country,
    He has had cronic ear issues since he was a puppy, you may have stumbled onto somthing

12. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Have you checked your liquor cabinet?

13. The Chili Pros

he is an old man like me, we drink together :righton:

14. eagle98

eagle98 New Member

Get the video online somehow and give us the link. I know some people that work at Riverside Animal Hospital in Dunwoody and I'll relay the info to them.

To hear my friends talk the vets at this place are awesome. While they will most likely say you ultimately bring him in, I dont doubt they will throw out a few ideas.

15. Wolfram

Wolfram New Member

We had a miniature Dachshund, that around the age of 13 started having seizures like you are talking about. He would be fine and then collapse, and start seizing. Typically lasting 2 or 3 minutes. At first they were sporadic and then got more common.

The vet put him on Phenobarbital. He eventually got to the point he was living in a constant haze, he would walk into a corner and get stuck not sure how to get out. His eating also became sporadic.

The vets diagnosed him with a brain tumor, and kept upping the dose of meds. Unfortunately his seizures got so common they were multiples per day. The last one he never came out of and stayed in a coma like state. Two different vets said he had reached the end and "it was time".

Along with the other comments, seek a second opinion and make the little guy as comfortable as possible. Sorry for you and your family.

16. The Chili Pros

We got another Vet appt today and had the videos to show him. His blood work showed he is hypoglycemic, probably due to a tumer on the pancreas. He was given brown molasis looking stuff oraly and got a stearoid shot. On the way home my wife thought he was dead b/c he fell into the floor board and was non responsive, she stopped and finally got him back up. A couple of hours later we have our baby back for now.

We are to feed our "old" dog puppy chow for now until we can figure out a home made diet of high protein, high complex carbs, and low sugar.

Any ideas?

We really appreciate all of your help on this. Without us finding you guys we would of assumed the vet knew best and kept on doing what was truely not working.

CountryGun, you got us to thinking about some other ideas, I owe you a beer when we meet. Thanks man

17. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

boil burger, and rice. Best thing for a dog.

18. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

boiled chicken and rice is really good

19. smn

smn Active Member

My english springer spaniel has grand mal seizures and is treated with phenobarbitol pills and potassium bromide liquid. He is ten years old and is very loose on his legs and walks around drunk-like, unfortunately. We're adjusting his meds so his legs won't slip from under him.

I hope your vet finds something simpler than a neurological disorder.

20. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I was going to say hypo.... Looks like it to me. (Heck, he even looks like me when it used to happen!)