Man dies during robbery at video game store

Discussion in 'In the News' started by VolGrad, Oct 22, 2007.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

2. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

I used to live pretty close to this place.

Carry always, be aware always. Sad story.

Sooner or later this BG will try to rob the wrong store.

3. Lightsped

Lightsped Guest

I think a friend of mine works at this place. He isn't the manager though. He just started a few weeks ago.,...

4. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

might be a good time to say hey to your friend and make sure they are alright. You just never know when or where but it can happen.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

what charge? What punishment?

This is a sad story. Okay, suppose they catch the armed robbers who killed the clerk by accident and through negligence by tying him up too tightly and putting duct tape over his face. Let's assume they didn't mean to kill him, but they just did a lousy job of securing him with the tape.

What should they be charged with? Murder? Felony Murder? Voluntary Manslaughter? Involuntary Manslaughter? What do you folks think the right punishment would be (assume this is their first conviction, no prior criminal history that could be used against them for sentencing purposes).
    If the robbers/ killers could get anything from a few years' probation to life in prison to life w/o parole or death, what would y'all be leaning towards?

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re: what charge? What punishment?

Felony murder, depending on the facts. I have no problem with death penalty for armed robbery alone, though, so you might be asking the wrong guy.

7. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

+1, this is like a hypo from criminal law that I remember.

Not sure about the death penalty either. Though I seem to remember that felony murder won't support it.

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Death caused in the commission of a violent felony = Felony murder.
    I really don't care if he meant to kill someone. He meant to rob the store.

A few years back there was a drug head that went nuts on Northside drive. He killed a lady trying to run in a stolen car. Then he jumped out and started breaking windows. The court video showed him squeal like a girl and his knees go out when they read the murder charge.

9. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines Guest

Wow. I know where that is. Odd thing is that, if I were going to rob a place, that wouldn't be my first choice. They don't deal in much cash, and there's a Ryder rental place next door that most likely does.

10. fallison

fallison Guest

You;ll get no arguments from me. I think the problem with the death penalty is that it isn't used nearly enough. I could cut the prison population by at least 30%.

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Thanks for the tip!

About the Ryder rental place. You've really thought this out, haven't you? :wink:

12. misawa

misawa New Member

I used to work for EBGames (now Gamestop) in Johns Creek. Employees weren't allowed handguns, blah, blah... I worked out a deal where I could at least keep mine in my truck, just couldn't carry it in. "They won't hurt you, just tie you up while they ransack the store." :roll:

From that point forward, I deemed it best (for me) that he not know when I wasn't carrying.

13. LonelyMachines

LonelyMachines Guest

I've always been taught that, the moment they try to tie you up or remove you from the scene, you should fight, because statistically, you are going to die otherwise.

14. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

15. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Saw it on the news this morning. They had video of him leaving he PD. Human life for video games and some cash...........sick