Man Beaten with Baton, By Police, No Reason

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by EJR914, Sep 28, 2016.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I try to not post these stories I see often like this, but WT Actual F? This one made me really upset as well. Maybe this is the police brutality that the Harvard study was talking about. This is truly unbelievable, you just have to watch the video.

I see the officer has resigned, but personally, in my opinion I feel that he should be facing jail time, if not prison time, because if I were to walk up to a young black man minding his own business like this and beat him mercilessly for 20 seconds with a baton over his head and body, I'm pretty sure I would be in jail for a very long time, if not prison.

Why on Earth would we allow a person like this to get away with something like this just by resigning, and not putting them through the criminal justice system? And also with video evidence convicting him and actually sending him to jail or prison for the crimes that he committed?

Video and More at link: http://abc13.com/1527318/

Also notice the government sucking media calls this a takedown instead of what it really is which was a vicious unprovoked beating with a baton.

This is insane. Glad the police dept. released this footage so the officers involved at least are held responsible by the public. How many rights were violated in this video?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Pretty bad. Indict and let a jury decide.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

We do not know that it was unprovoked. We do not know that the man was "minding his own business."

With that out of the way, the case was just referred to the DA for charges this week. Why is it you conclude that he will not be facing charges or imprisonment?

4. EJR914

The man was sleeping, and when he was startled and woke up, he stood up and he got a baton to the face and his body as he tried to cover up his head from the repeated blows. That's how I know, wtf?

Did we watch the same video?

Mainly because he's a cop with immunity. If he is even charged at all, he will probably just make a sweetheart plea down to a petty charged and probably not see a day in jail.

If I we're to do this same thing, they would have put me under the jail, maybe even prison, so yeah, it's BS.

Also, what if there were no video? He would have completely gotten away with it. That's what.

5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Indict and let a jury decide if he was guilty or not. That's the exact same consideration any of us would get.

6. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Looks like Giles only got the first hit when he quickly stood up AND moved toward the officer. Sure, it was excessive force and the officer needs to be punished, but if not for that sudden aggressive move by Giles, would this have happened at all? I honestly don't know.

7. EJR914

If you are I would have done this we would have been arrested on the spot as soon as we were caught by the police.

8. EJR914

I never saw him move towards the officer.

9. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

The "moving towards the officer" was a natural consequence of standing up when your heels are blocked from going backwards by a fixed object such as the bench he was sitting on. He was complying as best he could (assuming he was just woken up) with the officer's directions. The officer gestured three times for the man to get up and finally kicked his legs to get him moving. Then the officer decided to beat the man to:

(a) remind him who was boss
    (b) cover his fear about how large the man really was
    (c) relieve his frustrations
    (d) all of the above

If this was two non-nobles and the victim pulled a gun, we would be calling it a good shoot.

10. EJR914

Good point, the only reason we are not is because: authority.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Apparently, we did not watch the same video. The only one I watched the video in your link in the original post. It does not show a man sleeping. It does not show him being startled awake. It shows a man sitting, talking to officers for several seconds before jumping up and lunging at the officer who smacked him the first time with the baton.

Maybe you are commenting upon some video other than the one you posted.

I watched it again after reading your description of how it starts, and your description, quoted above, does not even come close to what the video shows.

12. Malum Prohibitum

:rotfl:

Are you trolling or is this serious? If trolling, then whatever floats your boat. If serious, then please watch the video again.

13. EJR914

Whatever, you're clearly on the side of having the cops back when ONE cop already resigned because HE KNEW WHAT WAS COMING TO HIM.

He KNOWS he did wrong, and here you sit here and make up lies and try to defend him, such as the guy went for the cop? Get out of here with your BS.

14. GMan45ACP

GMan45ACP New Member

EJR, you should re-watch the video you linked again. Now, I agree that the cop over-reacted and should get proper punishment for his actions. But when you look at the video the guy hopped up at the moment the cop kicks his feet. He didn't just stand up like a person trying to comply with someone's request to get up, then he does make a quick motion at the cop in front of him that caused the cop to strike him.

Calling MP a liar is a little harsh if you will not go back and watch the video.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Logical fallacies are all anybody uses here on this web site for argument. It gets tiresome.

The video is pretty clear.

Ironically, EJR914 is accusing me of "having the cops' back" when I think that this is a gross overreaction and excessive use of force.

Clueless.

But the video clearly shows what it shows. This is not an argument over whether some blurry object is one thing or another. The video simply does not show what he claimed in the portion of the post I quoted.

This entire, ahem, "debate," exists merely because he made a bunch of claims that were unsupported by the evidence so far. This means I am an enemy and must support everything the police officer did. I guess this is just the way people think anymore. Disappointing. Perhaps this thread could be Exhibit A in the thread on why this site's traffic is down so much over its heyday.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  16. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Yes, the man jumped up. It could also be argued that the man "lunged" at the officer.

It should also be noted that the officer, using his left foot, appears to nudge or kick the man before he lunged.

I've not conducted a single interview of a witness; I haven't read a word of a single incident report. I know nothing of the incident other than what I saw in the video and what was in the media report.

The initial strike(s) may or not be justified. I'd have to know more than I do now to form an opinion on that question.

I don't need to know any more than I do now to form the opinion that overall use of force constitutes a state level crime and a federal violation of civil rights under the color of law.

17. EJR914

This is already explained the man stood up after he was kicked by the police officer which is probably a fairly normal reaction, but what you say is lunging is simply the man trying to stand up while the bench is directly at the back of his calf muscle and no, not an attack on the police officer. This is a normal-looking reaction when you try to quickly stand up and something is blocking you from standing up all the way which would be the bench on the back of his leg., he was not lunging at the officer, anyone saying he was it simply looking at it through an Authority lens. There wasn't any need for the officer to kick a man who is sitting on a bench anyway.

18. EJR914

And of course, you back it up with more. Then try and blame me for why this forum is getting less traffic, when your buddy is the one that sold it out to a guy that doesn't even live in Georgia and put ads all over the Forum.

19. phaed

phaed Active Member

why is it even relevant if he jumped up or not? why were these individuals messin with him in the first place?

if you were sitting on a bench, and 2 individuals chose to come up and kick your feet and tell you what to do; you might not appreciate it. you might even choose to assume a different posture, or straight up defend yourself.

20. EJR914

That's what I'm trying to say, the only reason that we even have people like malum prohibitum defending these guys, is that they are looking at it through a lens of authority.