Man Beaten at McDonald's

Discussion in 'In the News' started by EagleEye920, Aug 11, 2006.

1. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

WOW! :shock:

This guy never saw it coming. Should be a reminder to always be alert wherever you are.

Link to Video

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Video Didn't Play

That CBS video did not play on my computer. In fact, it froze the computer and I had to log off from everything.

So can someone tell me what the video shows? All I saw was a freeze-frame still photo (very blurry) and the photo caption. It appears that a young black male sucker-punched an elderly white male who was waiting in line at McDonald's. Then the offender robbed the victim of his wallet and car keys after he was down.

If that's how it went, two points:

A gun would not have done the old guy any good. In fact, it is likely that had the old guy been packing, the thief would have found his gun while stealing his other valuables, and then the violent punk would be armed.

How about if another customer or even one of the restaurant workers had been legally packing a gun? They could not have reacted in time to stop the knockout blow. Perhaps they could have drawn down on the bad guy while he was fishing though the victim's pockets (robbery in progress). Then what? You can't shoot to stop a crime when the injury to the victim has already taken place and no more physical harm is imminent. Can you? You can't shoot a criminal just to stop him from escaping the scene of a mugging. Even cops can't shoot fleeing felons, generally, though there are certain exceptions.

Morally, we ought to change the law to allow anybody to use any amount of force, including deadly force, to stop a violent crime in progress. I have no problem, morally, with some customer just silently drawing his gun and blowing the mugger's brains out without so much as a verbal challenge. But these morals and what I think is the best way to deal with violent street criminals have not been fully incorporated into the law of our state. It is not "open season" on bad guys.

Citizen's arrest at gunpoint? Well, that might work. If the bad guy submits to the arrest, that is. Or if he attacks you physically and you justifiably shoot him down to save yourself. That would be OK with me, too. But what if he neither assaults you nor submits to your "arrest," and instead just goes on stripping the victim of his valuables and then begins to leave the store? Then what should you do?

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re: Video Didn't Play

Easy answer to your question, Gunsmoker.

Time for a Pistol Whipping!

Make 'im look like this -------> :shattered:

AND, the whole time this is going on, keep yelling impossible commands while saying, "Stop resisting!" every few seconds.

The witnesses will say that a guy with a gun ("I think he might have been a cop?") was trying to arrest the robber who would not stop resisting fighting when the man was asking him to stop resisting.

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

In answer to your first question, gunsmoker, the assailant lays out the victim with a whopping roundhouse. He nailed him. Good and hard. Cold cocked him.

As for what to do? Well, there is MP's suggestion.

There's also a Taser. The 11th Circuit has graciously advised us that tasering somebody is a little painful, but otherwise no big deal. All McDonald's employees should be equipped with Tasers. No restriction on carry (place of business).

5. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Re: Video Didn't Play

That sums it up pretty well. White Guy looked to the left to read the menuu, then got sucker punched.

Exactly.

Seems to me that buy the time the white guy hits the floor, a packing witness could have drawn on the guy. How do you know that no more phsicaly harm is imminent. It's in progress!

Wait, I thought that's what the "Shoot First, Ask Questions Later" Bill allowed. :shoot: :twisted: kiddin.... really...

I'm not a cop. This is a tough one though. I don't plan to draw unless I'm planning to shoot. Fear of Immediate Death or Serious bodily Injury.

This video makes me want to be more aware of who's within striking distance of me and stay alert...

6. Malum Prohibitum

I don't think anybody would have seen that coming. He knew he was there. They spoke to each other. The robber gave no signal he was about to attack.

7. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Right. I wasn't trying to say they white guy should have done something different. Like you said, they said hello to each other. that's more than lots of people do. It just makes me want to be on the lookout even more.

8. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

How did the old guy end up with a black eye? Did the perp hit him again after he fell?

9. Malum Prohibitum

No, but the floor did!

Ouch! :shattered:

When you hit the floor with your head, it often does worse things. I was once scared when alone with a guy high on something who attacked me without warning and, out of momentary fear, I placed him on a concrete floor a little harder than I otherwise might. His eye was swollen completely shut the next morning.

He claimed not to remember what happened. :whistle:

10. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I guess it's just chance. I landed on a sidewalk with my face once. Ended up with a nice little gash right next to my eye; if you didn't know any better you would have sworn my shirt was red in stead of blue. Didn't have a black eye though...

11. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I was once told a saying that goes something like this... "Be kind to everybody, but always have a plan to kill them." It goes something like that. You should be prepared at all times to defend yourself.

iwb32- I agree you should always know who is within striking distance of you.

Personally, I would not turn the opposite direction after some shady dude walks up next to me.

12. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

It's not paranoia if they're really after you. :sly:

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Malum

YOU SAID:

...Time for a Pistol Whipping!

Make 'im look like this ------->

AND, the whole time this is going on, keep yelling impossible commands while saying, "Stop resisting!" every few seconds.

Oh, that is FUNNY. It would be funnier if I weren't disturbed by the possibility that it might actually work.

I remember reading in a gun magazine about a cop that encountered a guy who reached into the trunk of his car, prompting the cop to draw on him and take aim. The cop fired and killed the gun when he heard what he thought was the sound of a the slide of a semi-auto pistol being cycled and a round being chambered. Sure enough, when the cop looked into the trunk there was a cocked and unlocked 1911 that had just falled out of the dead perp's grasp.

Other witnesses at the scene said that they saw the perp pull the gun on the cop and aim at at him before the cop fired in self-defense. That's not how the cop told it. But that's how the witnesses "remembered" it because it fit all the evidence.... dead thug, gun near his corpse, cop visibly shaken and telling everyone how he had to shoot or be shot...
    They had reached a firm and definite conclusion about what happened, and they had created an image in their mind of this bad guy being shot at the last possible instant before he dropped the hammer on the cop, and then they "remembered" this mental picture as what they actually saw.

Funny how the mind works. Oh, well. All's well that ends well, they say.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Still a good shoot, gunsmoker.

:wink: