Man arrested on multiple charges, Including "Carrying Concea

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by awoodpd13, Dec 1, 2010.

1. awoodpd13

awoodpd13 New Member

http://www.macon.com/2010/12/01/1360204 ... knife.html

Charges stem from an incident involving a knife at a Wild Wings restaurant.

I tried to post a comment on the macon.com website, but it said it had to be approved by a moderator first, and has not appeared as of this post...

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I was able to post easily. Often, if you try to include a link, or use some buzz words, a moderator will have to clear it. Also, keep the posts short.

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I hope he gets a good attorney.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2010/12/01/1360204 ... z16s8FBZz2

I wasn't there, so I'm guessing the felony obstruction and trespassing could very well be true, but I see no reason for the trumped up charges of a deadly weapon at a public gathering.

If I'm not mistaken, and I hope that I'm not just taking crazy pills, but the public gathering law was repealed this year. In fact, I know the PG law is off the books, because I carried a firearm openly at a public gathering not too long ago, in front of a bunch of great LEO.

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The charges of "carrying a concealed weapon" and carrying a "deadly weapon at a public gathering" no longer exist! :wink:

The "correct" charge should be (assuming that the guy doesn't have a GWL) "carrying a 'weapon' without a license" since the knife had a blade of over 5 inches.

5. awoodpd13

awoodpd13 New Member

There was no link in my attempted post. I rhetorically inquired whether Bibb SO and the Bibb Magistrate Court (which presumably issued the charging warrants following the arrest) were aware that the PG statute had been repealed...

My attempted post was "B.C." (before coffee!) so I omitted mention of the CCW statute's status...

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

We very much appreciate you just getting this issue on the board!

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

We really don't know what type of 8 inch bladed instrument that the man in this story had that the police are implying was a "knife."

If what he had was what is commonly known as a "kitchen knife" I'm not sure that he violated the law about "carrying a 'weapon' without a license" because I don't think that a "kitchen knife" was "designed for the purpose of offense and defense."

Does carrying, threatening, or attacking someone with a bladed instrument with a blade of over 5 inches make it a "knife" when the instrument was not "designed for the purpose of offense and defense?" I'm not so sure, it doesn't look like it.

https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... tion=125.1

8. 87FieroGT

87FieroGT New Member

The report says "eight-inch knife" if it is wouldn't the blade most likely be less than five inches.

It would be nice if reporters could be more concise in their reporting.

I wouldn’t be surprised by a reporter saying "eight-inch knife" instead of “pocket knife with a four inch bladeâ€. Most are drama queens and "eight-inch knife" sounds much more dramatic. The heck with the details, they’re boring.

9. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I'd bet that "Sheriff Oconee" is already on top of the Bibb County Sheriff's desk! I wish I were a fly on the wall!