Man arrested in Wal-Mart for Public Gathering Violation

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Jun 27, 2006.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Look in this same forum, five posts down from this post, titled "WalMart is a public gathering now?"

:wink:

3. GeorgiaGlocker

Malum,

Post number 21 states that two of the police officers involved in the arrest admited that Wal-mart is not a public gathering spot.

4. GeorgiaGlocker

5. Malum Prohibitum

And here is the WalMart letter to which GeorgiaGlocker refers. Apparently they do not allow open carry (hey, it's their business) but they do allow concealed carry if you are complying with state laws.

QUOTE:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by The Pontificator
    the exact same letter Grassroots South Carolina used for 6 years to get signs down in stores here.

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/la...mart-reply1.asp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMAIL FROM TFA MEMBER:

Date: Monday, September 14, 1998 7:25 PM
    Subject: Fwd: Wal-Mart Handgun Carry Policy

Dear TFA,
    I wrote to Wal-Mart and asked what policy, if any, their company had
    regarding the lawful carry of concealed handguns in their stores by
    holders of Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits. I also told them that I
    would be glad to share their response with the TFA so that through your newsletters and webpage you could share that information with permit holders statewide. I was pleased to get their answer affirming the right to carry in their stores. I have attached their response below. Their only concern was that a concealed weapon be concealed. Of course, as you point out on your page, it also is true that Tennessee law forbids carry in stores that sell alcohol.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    REPLY FROM WALMART:
    To: [deleted]
    Date: Monday, September 14, 1998 3:03 PM

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-mart was founded by Sam Walton on three principles: Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.

The following is our policy: if a Wal-mart customer has been aearded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property.

With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than low enforcement personnell wearing or carring a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.

END QUOTE

8)

6. Malum Prohibitum

I wonder what are low enforcement personnel?

:D

7. john

john New Member

8. Country

Country New Member

I live in Spalding County and I open carry in Wal-Mart every time I go in there. I have never had a problem. Most of the time, people don't even notice. :shock:

9. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php ... did=566256

Apparently the charge is still sticking:

10. Malum Prohibitum

2006-05-0326

Is this a PD Report number or an actual court file number?

11. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

12. Malum Prohibitum

It is not a case file number in Coweta (neither State nor Superior Court). The court gives out no information relating to criminal cases over the telephone, but it is public information and can be accessed on either of two public computer terminals at the courthouse in Newnan by typing in a last name. They are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

13. Malum Prohibitum

I assume the number is merely the police report number.

The police do not always know the status of the case after they drop the guy off at jail.

I suspect there is no case moving forward, in spite of what has been posted.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Confirmed - it is only the P.D. number.

All this other stuff is simply internet rumor. Let us not get carried away. There is no evidence at this point that charges are being prosecuted.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Either way, this is yet one more reason our legislators must repeal O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.

:soapbox:

(I am not using any cusswords, as the emoticon above would imply, but I am on my soapbox, as I so often find myself)

16. ctdonath

ctdonath Member

From what I found (no, I don't have the links at the moment; took about 20 minutes to find): seems the guy was observed concealing the gun outside the store, went in, cops were called, and when the cops arrived & confronted him, he started reaching for the gun and he was stopped. Strictly speaking as described, he had not (up to that point) done anything legally wrong, but sometimes you just know someone is about to do something bad (like suspicious behavior just before an armed robbery - legal but telling), and the cops probably pulled out the "public gathering" prohibition as something to hook him with and justify an arrest 'till they could get him under control and out of the way, and figure out what to do later.

I rarely support police arresting someone without solid cause, yet sometimes you just know pre-emptive action is required lest something really bad happen. I suspect the "public gathering" issue will be dropped in favor of a more suitable charge.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Arrest: May 29

Dismissal: June 14

Bond return: June 27

18. Malum Prohibitum

mzmtg, you can either provide a link to this thread or cut and paste the above info. No need to spread anymore internet rumors.