Man arrested for gun at a school

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by auburnfan04, Jan 6, 2011.

1. auburnfan04

auburnfan04 New Member

2. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

yeah i wonder if there was a gwl involved here.....

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Not an employee, and it's implied that he wasn't there to pick-up or drop-off children...... it does give one pause to wonder exactly why he was there.

4. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

Yeah. It does sound kinda fishy. I'll be interested to see what, if any, details come out.

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

If there was real criminal activity afoot we may hear about it. If there wasn't you will be able to hear a pin drop over the sound of the dropped charges since having a gun in your car is on school grounds is no longer a crime.

6. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

His wife could have been a teacher, or school employee. He could have been there to pick her up. To much info missing form this story to pass judgement.

7. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Not if he didn't have a GWL. The Federal School Safety Zone Act makes it illegal for anyone else.

8. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

but ga law says you dont need a license to have a handgun in your vehicle if your eligible for a license
    so what law did he break?

9. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

That last part in bold is the stickler. Sounds like it might be a good catch by the school police officer. Perhaps he was questioned as to why he was there and then, when he had no answer, was arrested on the weapons charge.

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Federal law:

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. The military are exempt from a need for a GWL, but could be prosecuted under this law, on school property, if they didn't have one. Does that extend to weapons in vehicles in the parking lot? I hope one of our lawyers will chime in soon.

11. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

thats the school of thought that they would need a GWL to be able to carry on campus legally...under state law they would be gtg but not under the federal