Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
yeah i wonder if there was a gwl involved here.....

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Not an employee, and it's implied that he wasn't there to pick-up or drop-off children...... it does give one pause to wonder exactly why he was there.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Yeah. It does sound kinda fishy. I'll be interested to see what, if any, details come out.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
lostprofit said:
Yeah. It does sound kinda fishy. I'll be interested to see what, if any, details come out.
If there was real criminal activity afoot we may hear about it. If there wasn't you will be able to hear a pin drop over the sound of the dropped charges since having a gun in your car is on school grounds is no longer a crime.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
Not an employee, and it's implied that he wasn't there to pick-up or drop-off children...... it does give one pause to wonder exactly why he was there.
His wife could have been a teacher, or school employee. He could have been there to pick her up. To much info missing form this story to pass judgement.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
ber950 said:
If there was real criminal activity afoot we may hear about it. If there wasn't you will be able to hear a pin drop over the sound of the dropped charges since having a gun in your car is on school grounds is no longer a crime.
Not if he didn't have a GWL. The Federal School Safety Zone Act makes it illegal for anyone else.

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
CountryGun said:
ber950 said:
Not if he didn't have a GWL. The Federal School Safety Zone Act makes it illegal for anyone else.
but ga law says you dont need a license to have a handgun in your vehicle if your eligible for a license
so what law did he break?

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Charles Lewis Marsh, 54, is not an employee or a parent at East Cobb Middle School and did not have a reason to be on campus
That last part in bold is the stickler. Sounds like it might be a good catch by the school police officer. Perhaps he was questioned as to why he was there and then, when he had no answer, was arrested on the weapons charge.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
mark5019 said:
CountryGun said:
ber950 said:
but ga law says you dont need a license to have a handgun in your vehicle if your eligible for a license
Federal law:

The GFSZA of 1995 effectively outlaws all forms of unlicensed carry nationwide:

Nearly every State in the nation allows some form of unlicensed carry by law-abiding citizens. This may be open-carry, vehicle-carry, or concealed carry without the need for a permit. The Federal GFSZA deters unlicensed carry by making it a federal crime for an individual carrying a gun to travel on public sidewalks, streets, or highways that pass within one-thousand (1000) feet of the property line of a K-12 school. The large number of K-12 schools in developed areas makes it difficult for an individual to travel any distance without entering a Gun Free School Zone.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. The military are exempt from a need for a GWL, but could be prosecuted under this law, on school property, if they didn't have one. Does that extend to weapons in vehicles in the parking lot? I hope one of our lawyers will chime in soon.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,722 Posts
CountryGun said:
mark5019 said:
CountryGun said:
ber950 said:
Federal law:

The GFSZA of 1995 effectively outlaws all forms of unlicensed carry nationwide:

Nearly every State in the nation allows some form of unlicensed carry by law-abiding citizens. This may be open-carry, vehicle-carry, or concealed carry without the need for a permit. The Federal GFSZA deters unlicensed carry by making it a federal crime for an individual carrying a gun to travel on public sidewalks, streets, or highways that pass within one-thousand (1000) feet of the property line of a K-12 school. The large number of K-12 schools in developed areas makes it difficult for an individual to travel any distance without entering a Gun Free School Zone.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. The military are exempt from a need for a GWL, but could be prosecuted under this law, on school property, if they didn't have one. Does that extend to weapons in vehicles in the parking lot? I hope one of our lawyers will chime in soon.
thats the school of thought that they would need a GWL to be able to carry on campus legally...under state law they would be gtg but not under the federal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts