Malum Prohibitum - for all those who ever wondered?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by VolGrad, Aug 22, 2007.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

What a clever moniker. I have been wondering for some time what this actually meant and only now have taken the time to look it up. This was not meant to offend or upset MP, I just thought it was cool and wanted any newbies to this site, like me, to see how clever this name was.

Malum prohibitum (plural mala prohibita, literal translation: "wrong because prohibited") is a Latin phrase used in law to refer to conduct that constitutes a crime only by virtue of statute, as opposed to conduct evil in and of itself, or malum in se. Conduct that was so clearly violative of society's standards for allowable conduct that it was illegal under English common law is usually regarded as "malum in se". An offense that is malum prohibitum, for example, may not appear on the face to directly violate moral standards. The distinction between these two cases is discussed in State of Washington v. Thaddius X. Anderson (Supreme Court of the State of Washington, 67826-0, decided August 2000) [1]:

"Criminal offenses can be broken down into two general categories -- malum in se and malum prohibitum. The distinction between malum in se and malum prohibitum offenses is best characterized as follows: a malum in se offense is "naturally evil as adjudged by the sense of a civilized community," whereas a malum prohibitum offense is wrong only because a statute makes it so. State v. Horton, 139 N.C. 588, 51 S.E. 945, 946 (1905) ... "Public welfare offenses" are a subset of malum prohibitum offenses as they are typically regulatory in nature and often "'result in no direct or immediate injury to person or property but merely create the danger or probability of it which the law seeks to minimize.' "

For more information see Wikipedia from which I cut and pasted the above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malum_prohibitum

Now I want a cool moniker. I don't think I am clever enough. I'll have to give this some thought.

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

oh I don't know, using the name of a Russian city is pretty cool.

:lol:

3. VolGrad

LOL. My screen name came about 10 years ago when I went to the DMV get a personalized license plate for my vehicle. All the good Univ. of Tenn. related names were taken. After striking out with most of the things I tried, I finally settled on VOLGRAD. It wasn't perferct, but it worked. Now, keep in mind I was living in a state which is NOT part of the SEC so I quickly figured out that no one had any clue what it meant. Everyone thought I was foreign. I guess to them I was. I started using it as my screen name in several places and after a while it stuck and I am too lazy to change it and have to remember something new.

4. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

I offer the following for your consideration:

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

5. VolGrad

Ouch!!! I think I am offended. For those of you who wonder: Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    100% Juice for 100% Kids. Seems innocent but confusing. Then I read on and here is what it said:

You, good sir, are the profoundest of idiots, and the reason most reasonable people despise philosophers. You contribute nothing to the conversation. In fact, we are all stupider now for having listened to you. Your words actively degrade the intelligence of your listeners. You represent a determined step backwards in evolutionary history, and your work is a stain on humanity's accumulated wisdom.

Your willful ignorance of the very language you use, and the concurrent ignorance of the basic subject matter at hand, serves to fundamentally harm the intellectual health of your audience. The only value your statement serves is that it represents the extreme opposite of how rational human beings should think and communicate. The sole purpose of your life must therefore be to serve as a warning to others of the horrendous dangers of foolishness and irrationality.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

6. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Bah. Semper Ubi Uzi.

7. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

Actually, the literal translation would be:

Always Where Under Where

which is comically understood to mean

Always Wear Underware

Which is good advice as well as a not half-bad moniker. :)

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

One of my favorite latin phrases has always been Sic Semper Tyranis. Which, for those not familiar, translates to Thus Always to Tyrants.

9. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

I've been keen on Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus, which was a kick-butt Venture Bros. quote.

10. VolGrad

I was just giving you a hard time. I googled the phrase and the first hit was what I posted. The actual title of the site was the latin phrase you quoted. The first topic was something about "Why I hate philosophers". It was somebody's blog. However, it could have been easily taken as a knock on my posts. I am sure that is not how you intended.

I found one I like:

acerbus et ingens : fierce & mighty

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

But wouldn't you rather get one that's at least a little appropriate for yourself?

12. VolGrad

:rotfl2:

13. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

I agree. Just about anything is better than "VolGrad". :rotfl2: :cheers:

14. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Maybe
    minimus puto mentis
    (little thinking male)

:lol:

15. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

How about, "Domus Tutor"? Or maybe, "Magnus Bovis"?

16. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

Actually, you could go with Canus Magnus CLXXXII

17. Ashe

Ashe New Member

Verum est a Telum

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I put lots of thought into mine... was watching a movie while I was trying to think of one.

Someone in the movie said it.

19. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

20. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

But not just any move, mind you. It was one of the first to use CGI effects.

That's history, man...