Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,474 Posts
Yup, wouldn't answer.
If they came up when I was outside I'd deny having any.
Ok, I guess I'd have to give up the one I had on my hip while they were asking me but that would be the only one.
"I swear that's it ocifer. Can you come in & look around? Only if you have a search warrent. You do? ok, then I guess you can. See no guns. Safe? what safe? Oh that one. Sure I'll open it (does & it's empty cause I knew about the ban already & my stuff is moved & hidden). No sir I recently had some finanial problems & had to sell them all off. Who to. I'm not sure. I didn't keep any records. Sorry. Have a nice day now." :roll:

I can't imagine anyone coming around to my house asking for guns anyway. I'm not exactly in what you would call a metropolitan area. If where I live ever floods I'm not going to worry about guns anyway. I'll be too busy building that Ark thingie. How many inches in a cubit again?...

· Registered
2,474 Posts
Eh.
From what I read (which admittedly wasn't a huge amount) what the cops were mostly doing was searching abandoned homes & collecting any guns they found there. Those were houses with no people in em. And of course any guns they found people walking around with I guess.
I guess my point is that A) if I had to leave my home due to an expected cat. then my guns would either come with me or would be locked in the safe. I can't believe that cops on a search & seize would bother trying to cut into a safe & take whatever was there. And I don't believe that anyone was stopped that was leaving the area when they first told you to leave. I doubt I would be one of those types that would stay when everyone was saying get the heck out.

On principle I still disagree with em taking guns from homes that were empty but I sort of understand. If they had scrupuously recorded what they took, when they took it & what home it came from & were happily returning them upon demand or evident return of the owner to the home I don't have a problem with it. If I were unresponsible, had guns in my home that weren't secure, and had to suddenly flee the area then I would rather the cops take them than letting looters find them & put them to nefarious use. The problem IMO was that they were taking them, not doing it right (as noted above) & not wanting to return them. This has nothing to do with taking a gun from a legal owner that is not breaking the law that decided to stay in the area. My bottom line on that is you don't take someones gun from their hands if they are not doing anything illegal. Period. That goes for if I'm carrying & having to be rescued for any reason. If I'm standing on the roof & the guy in the rescue boat/helicopter tells me I have to give up my gun before I can board there is going to be a problem. That's why I support the bill. That is NOT acceptable.

· Registered
2,474 Posts
My my.
Testy today MP.
Not get enough coffee this morning?

Maybe you did not see the ABC News video (link on this site somewhere) with the people pointing M-16s at hapless homeowners sitting on the curb with their wrists zip tied whilst these searches were being conducted.
I do recall that however were those taking place before or AFTER the area was evacuated? As I said, I'd have not been one of those folks that threw a party & stayed in the area. Either way if these folks were in their home (or in the area in person) then that was total BS as I said in my post. I do NOT agree with taking a gun from a legal owner in person. Period

Maybe you did not read the affidavits submitted in the NRA lawsuit with people's personal exeriences. Maybe you did not see the video of the little old lady who was dogpiled by California cops to have her gun seized and be forcibly removed from her home and thrown into an Army truck and driven away.
Yes on the NRA and no on the little old lady from Pasadina. But again those both fall into the "You do NOT take guns away from legal owners" statement.

Maybe you will go and seek them out now. Then maybe you will report back to us your findings.
Nope because it doesn't change my opinon on this either way as everything you listed & I suspect everything else that one could find on the subject falls into one of two categories which are pretty clear for me.
1) If my home is empty I'd rather cops take guns out if they are not secured (again I would say you are being at least a tiny bit negligent if your firearms are not secured in some manner) than have them laying about for BG's to find & make use of.
IF they do it the right way.
If they don't then just don't bother; Declare the area a disaster, tell everyone to leave & if they don't then detain them & escourt them out of the area. If someone is in the area actively doing illegal things then shoot their ass. :evil: (I don't want to get into a "what everyone did wrong in La discussion. That's a whole nuther topic that we could all go on about for a long time.)
2) If I am not doing anything illegal whether I am in the area or not you do NOT get to take my guns away. You can still get me to leave the area if required but you don't get to take my guns away from me. I leave then they leave with me.

simple

· Registered
2,474 Posts
I know MP. I'm perfectly aware you weren't being.. testy. But it read that way so it's good to rib ya. :wink:

All is good.
I don't know what I would have done if I had been in the situation some of those people were in. It's all well & good to talk smack in the forums but if a dozen guys in body armor & M16s decided to zip tie me & my wife & take my guns I would have to suspect that my shotgun & pistol would not really do much good. I'm a prudent fellow for the most part. I would say that is a no win situation. They'd likely end up with my guns. (unless I knew they were coming & I could hide em).

Now would I open my safe or tell them where I had guns? Hell no.
It would be one thing to stand on my porch & go down in a pointless blaze of glory shooting at the cops/national guard, its another issue standing in my zip tie & telling them to "go F themselves, I am not about to give them the combo to my safe". If they want it then they can pick it up or crack it or blow the hinges off but they won't get my help with any of that either.

· Registered
2,474 Posts
Yep good post.
But in my mind part of what it comes down to is that last bit

I've talked to fresh Fulton/Dekalb cops that said that they'd follow orders and have it sorted out later, even knowing about Supreme Court rulings, personal ethics, blah blah.
If the guys in charge tell the "men in the field" just to do X and X is wrong (illegal) then we have a serious problem and the laws don't matter one way or another.

I still expect I'd fall a bit to the left of some opinions on this though. Either way I still support the Katrina bill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.