Maine

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by ber950, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Apparanty Maine recently passed a you honor ours we will honor yours Reciprocity bill.

http://janus.state.me.us/legis/LawM...me.asp?ID=280022474&LD=148&Type=1&SessionID=7

http://janus.state.me.us/legis/LawM...me.asp?ID=280022474&LD=148&Type=1&SessionID=7

LD 148
    Document created 3/14/2007 15:40. - Get Text: MS-Word, RTF | PDF
    LR 631
    Item 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Act To Provide Fairness in Concealed Weapon Reciprocity Agreements

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:
    Sec. 1. 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2, ¶F, as enacted by PL 2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §2 and affected by Pt. X, §2, is repealed and the following enacted in its place:

F. A firearm carried by a person:
    (1) To whom a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued by another state if that state grants reciprocity to a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by this State; or

(2) From a state that does not require a permit to carry a concealed firearm.

summary

Current law allows the Chief of the State Police to enter into reciprocity agreements with 2 other states regarding the recognition of permits to carry a concealed firearm.

This bill allows a person from another state to carry a concealed firearm in Maine if that person has a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by a state that grants reciprocity to concealed firearm permits issued by Maine or that person's state does not require a permit to carry a concealed firearm.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That's progress. Not sure that I'll ever be through there. Can't be selfish/picky when it comes to these kinds of things though.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

So, that is three states to put on the AG letter from GCO . . .

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Did you notice the automatic coverage for people from VT & AK. Maybe even GA for military folks.

5. Malum Prohibitum

That's a good add on!

6. mswicord

mswicord New Member

Will Georgia give reciprocity to Maine?

7. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Georgia has a we will honor yours if you honor ours law. Its just a matter of getting the paperwork done.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Whatever happened to the national reciprocity bill?

9. Purge

Purge New Member

10. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

:shock: What the hell??

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

It's called the Constitution.

Hopefully we can remind some of our governmental officials that it exists before they revoke it entirely.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Actually, "Privileges and Immunities" does not mean my GFL is valid in other states. It simply means that the state you visit (you being a non-resident) cannot deny any rights you have as a citizen of the US.

A US Citizen (and the rights, privileges and immunities that come with citizenship) while in Georgia is the same as a US Citizen in Virginia.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

So, if there was a national carry permit that would apply? I don't think a national permit would be a good idea, however.

14. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Gee, thanks for the tip.

15. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Agreed. See above.

16. Purge

Purge New Member

That's where the Second Amendment comes in.
    If I can carry in GA I can carry in any state and I shouldn't have to ask permission to do so, e.g. GFL.

17. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

What second amendment?
    Currently it is the state that grants you the privledge to carry, not the feds. Therefore the privledges and immunities section has no power over any state in regards to firearm carry.

First you must prove the 2nd is individual in federal court (which Parker is doing now). Then once it is declared individual, you must have the limits defined and then incorporate it into the states via the 14th (the 2nd says that "Congress shall make no law" it does not say a state cannot).

Only once it is federally protected at the state level does the "privlidges and immunities" come into play and force all states to abide by it.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Ouch! :shattered:

Wrong amendment, there. That's the First Amendment. The Second does not say by whom, just that it shall not be infringed.

19. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

#-o Thats what I get for relying on my brain instead of looking it up.

Anyway, my point still stands even if my quote does not.