Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
Wow, the stupidity on display from both sides leaves me shaking my damn head .

First of all I'm amazed at this woman who owns the restaurant said that she wants to ban gun rights supporters from her property regardless of whether not they are carrying any weapons that particular day.
She just wants to boycott an entire class of people based on how they exercise their constitutional rights in other locations, or just how they would like the option TO do so, one day.
That is pretty ballsy. And stupid, for a business owner who's customer base was probably at least 40 percent composed of gun rights supporters.

The SECOND stupid thing in that article is the pro-gun retort comparing the Christain cake baker who wouldn't make a gay wedding cake.
That's way off base. Not comparable at all.

To the Christian baker, a gay wedding IS the evil act. And the wedding cake would be a key centerpiece of the event that the baker sees as evil and sinful.

The baker said he'd sell them doughnuts or snack cakes or any other product except a wedding cake intended for a gay wedding. He wasn't boycotting gays; he'd sell them all sorts of his creations-- just not a wedding cake with two grooms on it.

If that were the same attitude of the restaurant owner in Portland Maine, she would simply refuse to serve food to crazed gunmen on rampages, since THAT is the evil she wants to discourage.

And I would support her . If any jihadist or loony-tunes MWAG shows up hungry and wishes to satiate his appetite with an expeditious repast of her culinary delights, she should say "no, but after you surrender I will take an order to send a food tray to the jail, and to the law offices of your defense team. But I can't feed you while you are doing this bad thing."

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Operating a business in Maine and not wanting to serve anyone who likes guns?

Good luck with that.

Idiot must not be familiar with just how popular hunting is up there.

·
American
3,289 Posts
She owns 2 restaurants and has backed down apparently after some negative impact on her bottom line.

Here is her post:

My facebook post last night was born from a simple question from my younger sister which was about whether my daughter was going to march with her worthy organization in the PRIDE parade in Portland this weekend. My response was, “No.” No, because I just don’t want to run the risk of having my daughter in a group of happy and proud people celebrating equality in a public space in a city that I love because I am scared. I let the fear win. I let the actions of dozens of lunatics over several years change the way I look at the world around me. My first thought about large gatherings was fear. It was then I realized that I am living in a world I don’t even recognize anymore.
When my children grow up and they ask me what I did to help change the course of gun violence will I say to them, I liked some face book memes and talked to like- minded people about our outrage and sadness. I signed some petitions relatively anonymously and held moments of silence? I felt sorry for the children in elementary school and children in movie theatres? Or will I say that I used the loudest voice I knew to shout my outrage and condemn the violence and beg for change in the most effective way I could see. Will I stand on the right side of history?
I don’t want to take away guns of responsible gun owners. I don’t care if you have 12 hunting rifles if you are a responsible hunter. I want people to not have the power to own weapons of war. I want our government to be able to deny someone they can put on the “no fly” lists to not buy a semi-automatic weapon. If you do not understand why I do not want a weapon designed to kill at that kind of rate of speed in my restaurants then there is nothing I can do about that. But I am not going to hide behind not politicizing myself for fear of my economic security. If evil and hate want to boycott my restaurants then so be it because I believe good will be on my side on this. As long as my doors are open I will believe that love is love. And when my children ask me where I was on this, I will say I was right there, fighting for a better world for us and for all those people who lost their lives.
Let it not go unsaid, the vitriol spewed to my original post validates my fear. However, I am still in control of my reaction. My reaction is the love that I have for my family, friends, employees and loyal guests whom I hope to constantly shower with respect and human decency regardless of what is said of me.
Anne Verrill

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Wow, the stupidity on display from both sides leaves me shaking my damn head .

First of all I'm amazed at this woman who owns the restaurant said that she wants to ban gun rights supporters from her property regardless of whether not they are carrying any weapons that particular day.
She just wants to boycott an entire class of people based on how they exercise their constitutional rights in other locations, or just how they would like the option TO do so, one day.
That is pretty ballsy. And stupid, for a business owner who's customer base was probably at least 40 percent composed of gun rights supporters.

The SECOND stupid thing in that article is the pro-gun retort comparing the Christain cake baker who wouldn't make a gay wedding cake.
That's way off base. Not comparable at all.

To the Christian baker, a gay wedding IS the evil act. And the wedding cake would be a key centerpiece of the event that the baker sees as evil and sinful.

The baker said he'd sell them doughnuts or snack cakes or any other product except a wedding cake intended for a gay wedding. He wasn't boycotting gays; he'd sell them all sorts of his creations-- just not a wedding cake with two grooms on it.

If that were the same attitude of the restaurant owner in Portland Maine, she would simply refuse to serve food to crazed gunmen on rampages, since THAT is the evil she wants to discourage.

And I would support her . If any jihadist or loony-tunes MWAG shows up hungry and wishes to satiate his appetite with an expeditious repast of her culinary delights, she should say "no, but after you surrender I will take an order to send a food tray to the jail, and to the law offices of your defense team. But I can't feed you while you are doing this bad thing."
Pretty much agree. Too much made of this-- is no one allowed an opinion anymore?

I believe it started with her dislike of AR-15s and escalated from there. Correct response was, "OK fine. Let's go eat down the street.......

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
She should be allowed to legally discriminate, just like any business owner for any reason, Bernie sticker, religion, race, ect, and she can legally go out of business too.

I'd much rather a business owner be like this and show how anti gun and anti freedom they are, then simply putting up a pansy gun free zone sign.

Be open about it. I'll know I can take my business elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I don't want to take away guns of responsible gun owners. I don't care if you have 12 hunting rifles if you are a responsible hunter. I want people to not have the power to own weapons of war. I want our government to be able to deny someone they can put on the "no fly" lists to not buy a semi-automatic weapon.
So basically, she thinks the best thing to do is just Enron the entire Constitution. Seems legit to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.