Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some friendly advice. I am getting ready to buy my first 1911, and currently have several different manufacturers on my radar. However, I came across the Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911 - which I had completely forgot they even made - but which does fall under the price range I was looking to fork out for my first 1911.

Anyone actually have any experience with them? I haven't had a chance to hold one yet, but from what little research I've done so far on the net it looks to be pretty well-made and reliable. Now, I know I'll probably catch some flak from the 1911 'purists' for even considering a 1911 from MRI, but I honestly can't tell if there would be a significant difference between it and a Para/Dan Wesson/Sig/etc., entry-level 1911. Feature-wise, they seem to be pretty similar.

Sorry to start another 'my first 1911' thread, but I've been bitten by the 1911 bug and wanted to get some advice from some experienced 1911 owners jumping headlong into a purchase.

Thanks in advance for any tips. :righton:

·
Registered
938 Posts
I recommend going with someone who's built more than a dozen 1911s for your first one. Springfield Armory is my personal favorite for 1911's you can actually carry.

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cocsp2002 said:
I recommend going with someone who's built more than a dozen 1911s for your first one. Springfield Armory is my personal favorite for 1911's you can actually carry.
Thanks for the advice.

After looking a bit more into the MRI 1911's, I started to think the same thing. When someone thinks of a Desert Eagle, they're definitely not picturing a 1911 in their mind. I had a chance to shoot a Springfield Loaded not too long ago, and it was really nice... also around my price range. I'll probably look a little deeper into the Springfield line for my first.

Still, if anyone's actually shot a Magnum Research 1911, I'd love to hear what you thought about it. May eventually decide to get one if they're quality handguns, just probably not for my first venture into the world of 1911's.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Can't speak for the 1911, but the Baby Eagle I had and the Micro Eagle I have are built like freaking tanks.

My only complaint with it is the billboard on the side of the slide.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I personally love my Springfield Loaded. The only things I would like to upgrade are the sights (not a fan of 3-dots for SD sights, I like the XS big dots) and a trigger job. The trigger isn't BAD, it just isn't as nice as my Kimber. I guess I spoiled myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts