Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next time you go shopping, check where the item you pick up is made. We are loosing this country one item at a time.

Dang near every thing in Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
Savvy Jack said:
Next time you go shopping, check where the item you pick up is made. We are loosing this country one item at a time.

And to think Walmart won the dept. store war against kmart/sear/etc. based on their buy american campaign years ago "There's not always a choice to buy American, but when there is...". Walmart is a big part of the reason most things are made somewhere else.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Our Chevy says, "Assembled in Mexico with engine and transmission made in China".

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
Match10 said:
Our Chevy says, "Assembled in Mexico with engine and transmission made in China".
That would explain the knock from my engine and the creaks and rattles from the body!!!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I just got a new pair of boots Made In America. I had to look at every boot there to find very few made in USA boots. as bonus they were cheaper than most of the Chinese boots

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
tgrt said:
phantoms said:
...Walmart is a big part of the reason most things are made somewhere else.
bs. The only reason things are made elsewhere is because of us, the consumer.
That's part of it, yes. We consumers shop on price. But Walmart is part of it too. They tell their suppliers what they're going to pay them for their products. They continually force lower and lower prices paid for products and this forces suppliers to either not deal with Walmart (a death nail), or send manufacturing to someplace that can make it cheaper. Walmart can literally make or brake a company, and as such has influence over how that company operates.

·
Swollen Member
11,929 Posts
Savvy Jack said:

I think you will find your plea falling on deaf ears. Every product made in Mexico and China is made with cheap labor, which keeps product costs down, which keeps retailer costs down, which keeps consumer costs down. You are basically asking the consumer to spend more of their money to keep US manufacturers in business. The vast majority of consumers care only about cost and have abandoned US manufacturing to help their bottom lines. I believe the future of US manufacturing is niche, high quality, specialty goods, akin to European products. Fine examples of this would be Fox Creek Leather and Filson Outerwear. Their products cost 3x the Chinese or Mexican equivalent. So, why pay that price? I'm getting a product with 3-4x the quality and durability, and I find that valuable. I think most consumers are short-sighted and don't care about long term value - disposable society.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Match10 said:
Yeap, found that out with my 350 in my CJ-7. Crate engine made in Mexico!

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a_springfield said:
I just got a new pair of boots Made In America. I had to look at every boot there to find very few made in USA boots. as bonus they were cheaper than most of the Chinese boots
I did this same thing. New boots a wwek ago I made sure at least said Made in America! Purchased an electric drill but none I could find made in America!

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There was a time when Americans were making crap, but now its all crap!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Thank your legislator(s). Our representatives have successfully regulated the country from a producing to a consuming society. Once you lift a lot of the oppressive regulations (taxes and environmental) then the manufacturing will come back. Until then get used to it or make it yourself.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Mrs_Esterhouse said:
[quote="Savvy Jack":zn0kwg62]Next time you go shopping, check where the item you pick up is made. We are loosing this country one item at a time.

I think you will find your plea falling on deaf ears. Every product made in Mexico and China is made with cheap labor, which keeps product costs down, which keeps retailer costs down, which keeps consumer costs down. You are basically asking the consumer to spend more of their money to keep US manufacturers in business. The vast majority of consumers care only about cost and have abandoned US manufacturing to help their bottom lines. I believe the future of US manufacturing is niche, high quality, specialty goods, akin to European products. Fine examples of this would be Fox Creek Leather and Filson Outerwear. Their products cost 3x the Chinese or Mexican equivalent. So, why pay that price? I'm getting a product with 3-4x the quality and durability, and I find that valuable. I think most consumers are short-sighted and don't care about long term value - disposable society.[/quote:zn0kwg62]I was willing to go buy a pair of red wing boot that would have cost a $100 more than anything similar to get American just think it every one would buy one extra thing made in America if they were going to get a foreign product that would be 300 million more American products think of the impact that would have if it happened every month or week. If that one product was $50 it would increase the GDP by $15,000,000,000. That is a good start

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
a_springfield said:
[quote="Mrs_Esterhouse":34bc3dcq][quote="Savvy Jack":34bc3dcq]Next time you go shopping, check where the item you pick up is made. We are loosing this country one item at a time.

I think you will find your plea falling on deaf ears. Every product made in Mexico and China is made with cheap labor, which keeps product costs down, which keeps retailer costs down, which keeps consumer costs down. You are basically asking the consumer to spend more of their money to keep US manufacturers in business. The vast majority of consumers care only about cost and have abandoned US manufacturing to help their bottom lines. I believe the future of US manufacturing is niche, high quality, specialty goods, akin to European products. Fine examples of this would be Fox Creek Leather and Filson Outerwear. Their products cost 3x the Chinese or Mexican equivalent. So, why pay that price? I'm getting a product with 3-4x the quality and durability, and I find that valuable. I think most consumers are short-sighted and don't care about long term value - disposable society.[/quote:34bc3dcq]I was willing to go buy a pair of red wing boot that would have cost a $100 more than anything similar to get American just think it every one would buy one extra thing made in America if they were going to get a foreign product that would be 300 million more American products think of the impact that would have if it happened every month or week. If that one product was $50 it would increase the GDP by $15,000,000,000. That is a good start[/quote:34bc3dcq]
You get what you pay for, and I would pay more for USA made products, but they're just not there. Buy at home, and the money stays at home, right? I buy as much as I can from small businesses we have in Harlem. Nationally, the principle is no different. When you stop supporting local businesses, they die. Americans have the power to bring jobs and dollars back to the US, but they are stuck in this downward spiral of no jobs and no money. They are forced to buy cheap, and cheap is seldom best. Sellers are forced to cut costs as much as they can. Can't blame them for buying container loads from China or Mexico.

Heavy taxation on imports would level the playing field, as would easing tax burdens on businesses at home. So far, there hasn't been a political party willing to do either.

·
Swollen Member
11,929 Posts
CountryGun said:
Heavy taxation on imports would level the playing field, as would easing tax burdens on businesses at home. So far, there hasn't been a political party willing to do either.
That idea is the antithesis of free market capitalism and is the epitome of government interference and protectionism.

How about we repeal the minimum wage and lower taxes instead?

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Mrs_Esterhouse said:
That idea is the antithesis of free market capitalism and is the epitome of government interference and protectionism.

How about we repeal the minimum wage and lower taxes instead?
:righton:

And replace the current tax code to make us more competitive? Reduce corporate tax rates and regulations?

I would suspect union labor doesn't help us be too competitive either. :hide:

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,804 Posts
phantoms said:
Savvy Jack said:

And to think Walmart won the dept. store war against kmart/sear/etc. based on their buy american campaign years ago "There's not always a choice to buy American, but when there is...". Walmart is a big part of the reason most things are made somewhere else.
It's not the fault of the retailers. The blame lies in the hands of consumers who quit demanding quality and started demanding a lower price. There is also blame on the part of the US Government for taxing and regulating companies out of business.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As a kid in the early 1970's, I remember the quality of the automobile going south and the imports like Toyota and Datson sells increasing simply due to longevity and gas mileage or so they thought. Folks started consuming goods from Japan because they lead the market with quality parts. Now those goods are awful as well and American quality looks better. It could still turn around and I hope it does soon. I buy American unless I have no choice or its too confusing who is making/importing what or the cost is too expensive such as Colt vs Uberti firearms!! Colt's $1,200 revolver vs Italian's colt clone at $400. I simply just can not afford the Colt.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts