Macon Telegraph - Gun Bills Pass

Discussion in 'In the News' started by jgullock, Jan 30, 2007.

1. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Nikki Randall - another reason I'm glad I live no where near Macon...

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/local/16575787.htm

Pair of gun bills shoot through committee
    By Travis Fain

TELEGRAPH STAFF WRITER
    ATLANTA - Two bills meant to beef up protections for Georgia's gun owners passed committee Monday and will move on for debate in the state House of Representatives.

House Bill 6 makes it illegal for law enforcement to seize a law-abiding person's gun during an emergency situation, such as a flood. It also removes the governor's power to suspend the transportation or sale of firearms in such a crisis.

And House Bill 89 would make it legal to hide a gun anywhere in a vehicle, clarifying a law that currently requires the gun to be fully visible or in a glove box or console. Under this new law, a driver could keep their gun under their seat, for example, said state Rep. Tim Bearden, who is sponsoring the change.

The bills both passed the House Committee on the Judiciary on Monday after debate on both sides. Middle Georgia had representation on the committee, with Rep. Jim Cole, R-Forsyth, voting for both changes, and Rep. Nikki Randall, D-Macon, voting against.

"My vote will always be to keep the Second Amendment strong or to strengthen it," Cole said.

Randall said that, with all of pro-gun bills coming through the Judiciary Committee the past few years, "it's like we're in the wild, wild west."

"I'm just sick of darn gun bills," she said. "(There's) more important things to think about than whether people ought to be able to ride around with guns in the car."

House Bill 6 closely resembles a federal law passed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which saw massive gun seizures by federal authorities, bill sponsor and state Rep. Bobby Franklin said Monday. But the federal law dealt only with federal agents, and the new bill will deal with state and local ones, he said.

The bill sets up civil penalties for officers who confiscate someone's weapon, provided that person isn't a felon or committing a crime. Those penalties, which some legislators tried to remove Monday with an amendment, led the GBI to oppose the bill, said John Bankhead, the bureau's director of public affairs.
    There also was an attempt to amend the bill to allow state officials to temporarily confiscate guns while evacuees are taken to safety in, for example, a public bus. That attempt also failed.

In the end, the bill passed, unamended, 10-7.

As for Bearden's bill regarding guns in vehicles, it received more support from the committee, passing 12-5. Bearden, a former police officer, said law enforcement officials needed the law clarified. As it stands, there is too much confusion over what is allowed in vehicles, he said.

Under House Bill 89, anyone who is eligible for a concealed weapons license would be able to keep a gun hidden in their car.

Both bills can still be amended, killed or passed as they are. They must be placed on the House calendar for that body to debate them, then move to the Senate, where the committee process basically starts over again.

The governor must sign the bills for them to become law.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Please allow me to translate this for you. Director Bankhead thinks that GBI agents should be allowed to seize your weapons even if you are not a felon and are committing no crime, during a time of declared emergency, such as Katrina, while roving gangs of bandits are terrorizing the local population, and Director Bankhead thinks his agents should be allowed to do that with impunity, without even so much as a civil penalty in the form of the expensive attorney fees you incur when you finally sue to get your GBI-stolen weapons back.

What in the hell is this guy doing in a "Director" position in state government?
    :?

You do know the attorney fees will exceed the cost of your firearm, don't you? That is the "civil penalty" John Bankhead opposes.

People need to let this guy know what they think of his stance on this subject. He wants his agents to seize lawfully carried weapons of peaceable citizens during time of emergency, when they really need their firearms, and not even have the treasury cover the citizen's legal fees to get their guns back.

That is just offensive.

3. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Oh, the stories I could tell. I know on the Fed side the saying amougst us working federal employees is "F%$K up, move up". I'm sure that probably goes for the State too. Most of the people on top are talking heads, incompetents, trying to implement their own ideas to fullfill their "legacy" instead of doing what's right by the folks they work for (us).

4. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Yeah, I bet Mr Bankhead's weapon will be the first one confiscated!

5. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

According to WWW.LEGIS.STATE.GA.US Ms Randall has sponsored approximately 49 pieces of legislature. Which include 14 commendations, 4 invitations to the House, 1 letter of condolence, and one 1 recognition of effort.

To give a few specifics she has had the House commend
    • A family reunion
    • The Association of Black Caridologists for their work in cardiovascular disease and general health care.
    • Emily Carruthers Chester for her involvement with the alpha kappa alpha sorority
    • Dr Godsey for his service to Mercer
    • The Links, Inc for their work to improve the quality of life in the state & nation. (The Links is a group comprised of women of African heritage who committed to enriching, sustaining, and ensuring the identities, culture, and economic survival of all people of African origin through cultural, educational, and civic programs
    • the Xi Beta Omega Chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. for their outstanding service to their community and the State of Georgia.
    • Robyn Underwood & her staff (they apparently helped physically reorg the House Reps)

Ms Randall also had some very compelling legislature submitted regarding contact lens sales and a requirement for schools to advise parents of their own child’s body fat index on report cards…

Yes indeed I would say that Ms Mikki Randall is highly qualified to decide what is important and what isn’t. I certainly find that sending kudos to a sorority (of which Ms Randall is a member/supporter…) is certainly more important that an issue which involves the state citizens 2nd Amendment (of the US Constitution mind you) rights.

Hmmm. I’m thinking a post to the telegraph web site might be in order..

6. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I have a question for you folks more savvy in the political arena than myself (which just about means everyone... :oops: )

On the above site, if you look up a rep & follow their links to proposed legislation & recommendations & such it will list the status of what they have put forward. Can someone tell me for sure if I am correct in my below understandings of the way things work?

House Read and Adopted - some trivial piece of fluff that the house agreed to (commendations & condolences & such)

House Date Signed by Governor - that means it was signed into law (right?)

House Read and Referred - referred to some sub committee ??

House Second Readers - This is like a second review, meaning it's passed the initial introduction to the House but hasn't actually been voted on by the full House but also hasn't been tossed out? Is there any set # of "reads"?

If I'm right on all the above then in Ms Randall's record is 23 that are in a second read. If you add that to her 20 pieces of fluff then she has 43 pieces of legislation which have gone no where and 6 that actually have meant something. She has been in the HR since 1999.
    7 years.
    6 items of note.
    :shock:

Is that typical? Are these people all being this effective? Have I been so naive all this time thinking that at least a few people on the hill were doing something???

:?: :?: :?:

7. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

This has obviously gotten me on a roll here sooo let me ask another question.

Anyone notice anything interesting about what Ms Randall supports?

• The Association of Black Cardiologists
    • The Links, Inc
    • the Xi Beta Omega Chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
    • Two family reunions of black families

I what's that term that I'd be called if I supported the Association of White Cardiologists, some white cultural heritage group, a white male frat, and two family reunions for old white families?

Oh yeah.
    RACIST.

But I'm quite sure that Ms Randall is considered simply to be supportive of her culture and heritage. :evil:

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

House Read and Adopted - A bill or resolution has either passed out of the committee and the House voted on and passed or a resolution skipped committee and vote passed by full house.

House Date Signed by Governor - that means it was signed into law (it can also be law if the Governor does not sign it, so long as it is not vetoed)

House Read and Referred - Resolution referred to a House committee

House Second Readers - (house only) Usually bills, the second read is performed just before it is sent to a committee. (second introduction)

House First Reader - Does not last long, turns into second reader usually on the next legislative day. (to let other legislators know it has been introduced)

House Hopper - Introduced but not read yet.

Committee Favorably reported - Committee passed it and it goes back to full house

Resolutions seem to be mainly fluff while Bills are the change in law.
    ---------
    For Bills that are passed in the House the progress is:
    Hopper (a Prefile is just a hopper submitted before the session began)
    First Reader
    Second Reader (now in a committee)
    Committee Favorably Reported (passed committee)
    Third Reader (debate on house floor)
    House Passed/Adopted (bill passed)

Their are others like a bill can be sent back to a committee before the 3rd reader it is Recommitted.

Typically a bill will die with Second Reader becuase it gets stuck in a committee. Also if the House does not want to debate a bill it will be recommitted or it will stay at Favorably Reported.

9. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Well well, looks like this problem may be genetic. In the paper this morning her brother (who's making a run for Macon mayor after the current crooks term ends) got caught plagurizing Valparaiso, Indiana's "strategic plan" their mayor created for their town and called it his own. Isn't that just par for the course!

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/16583903.htm

Randall rewrites 'vision' for Macon
    By Matt Barnwell

TELEGRAPH STAFF WRITER

Lance Randall, the likely mayoral candidate who cribbed vast portions of another town's strategic plan and put them forward as his own "vision" for Macon, has rewritten his document using his own words. He also lists the places from which he borrowed ideas.

Randall notified The Telegraph of his changes in a letter to the newspaper's editorial board. With new words and fresh phrasing, Randall's revised plan addresses most of the same ideas it touched on before. It continues to rely on framework that officials in Valparaiso, Ind., constructed when they completed their plan in 2005.

But now, Randall, who could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday evening, has labeled his plan a "work in progress." There are even missing or misspelled words in places. At the end, the updated plan credits Valparaiso, San Francisco, Atlanta and Michigan for "their best practices from which this document is being developed."

"The vision I have for the advancement of Macon does not include reinventing the wheel!" Randall wrote in a letter accompanying the new draft of his plan.

"My vision has and will come from many proven sources everywhere. As I continue to identify new best practices and models across the country I will incorporate them into the document. I will also make sure to acknowledge where the ideas are coming from.

"... I don't feel that my integrity or honesty is impigned [sic] by the document, and I am sorry that some people feel that way. My intent is to provide a starting point that we can build upon in an effort to make Macon one the best cities in the country."

Randall is one of several Macon Democrats planning to try for the mayor's seat this year as incumbent Jack Ellis' second term ends. Randall has not held elective office before, but he is richly pedigreed as a political candidate.

His father is current magistrate court judge and former state Rep. Billy Randall. His sister is state Rep. Nikki Randall, D-Macon. His grandfather, William "Daddy Bill" Randall, was a leader in the midstate civil rights movement.

In 2004, Randall unsuccessfully challenged Charlie Bishop for chairmanship of the Bibb County Commission, losing by just more than 2,100 votes. He narrowly lost a race for the Bibb County Board of Education in 1992.

When The Telegraph began reviewing Randall's strategic plan earlier this month, an Internet search turned up a nearly identical document in Valparaiso, a town of about 30,000 people. That plan includes passages that Randall repeated verbatim in his document.

Randall's original plan did not credit its source material, and he did not volunteer his plan's specific origin until he was asked about it by a reporter. Randall, who said he was trained in economic development at the University of Oklahoma, has said a friend who works in that field originally steered him toward Valparaiso's plan.

He took a closer look at his own document, he writes, after The Telegraph "brought to my attention that the format I was using to develop the plan closely resembled that of Valparaiso, and could be construed as plagiarism."

"The similarities were a little too striking at times," said Valparaiso's mayor, Jon Costas. "Obviously, it's for the voters and the political pundits to decide whether he crossed the line."

After the issue of plagiarism was first raised, Randall twice e-mailed Costas, the mayor said. Randall in his letter also mentions his communications with Costas.

In the first e-mail, Randall indicated how he came across the plan "and tried to explain his reasoning for doing what he did," Costas said. The mayor said he suggested that Randall rework the plan.

Randall later e-mailed Costas a copy of his revised plan, but the mayor said he had not reviewed or responded to that e-mail because he did not want to become too deeply involved in Macon politics. Costas declined to provide The Telegraph copies of his e-mail correspondence with Randall.

"Basically what he was saying was this (issue) has come up, and that he admired the plan," Costas said. The mayor said he was happy that Valparaiso's planning ideas were noticed and that they may identify issues and opportunities for other cities.

But Costas also said that he had put in considerable work to create the plan as he ran for office in 2003. Facing a 20-year incumbent, he wrote the initial draft of the plan himself and did not hire a consultant, he said. After winning the election, the mayor said, he then spent months with residents and community leaders to further refine the document.

"I've expressed some concerns to Lance. He's been very gracious and willing to amend (the plan)," Costas said. How Randall presented the ideas, and not his use of the ideas themselves, was the primary concern, Costas said.

"It's kind of an intriguing story," the mayor said.

To contact Matt Barnwell, call 744-4251, or e-mail mbarnwell@macontel.com.

10. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Well I sent my thoughts off to the editor & the local Am talk radio program last night. I doubt anyone will post my letter but who knows...

11. Foul

Foul New Member

Let them try.