Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Macon gun buyback plan misfires with council committee, reloads
Watkins said that Ken’s Stereo Junction has pledged $10,000 worth of merchandise or gift cards, and he sought permission to use three city facilities â€" one on the west side of town, one on the east and one in the south. Police have agreed to take the guns and destroy them.
...
But buybacks’ actual impact on violent crime is tough to judge. Councilman Lonnie Miley led opposition to the resolution, saying that law-abiding citizens would turn in guns but serious criminals wouldn’t, so its effect would be to leave average people with fewer defenses against intruders or encourage some to swipe legal guns and turn them in for a quick profit.
Ken's Stereo Junction has been a topic of discussion before and I won't buy from him.

The article covers both sides of the bun buy back argument.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
smn said:
Macon gun buyback plan misfires with council committee, reloads
Watkins said that Ken’s Stereo Junction has pledged $10,000 worth of merchandise or gift cards, and he sought permission to use three city facilities â€" one on the west side of town, one on the east and one in the south. Police have agreed to take the guns and destroy them.
...
But buybacks’ actual impact on violent crime is tough to judge. Councilman Lonnie Miley led opposition to the resolution, saying that law-abiding citizens would turn in guns but serious criminals wouldn’t, so its effect would be to leave average people with fewer defenses against intruders or encourage some to swipe legal guns and turn them in for a quick profit.
Ken's Stereo Junction has been a topic of discussion before and I won't buy from him.

The article covers both sides of the bun buy back argument.
I'm not selling back my bun. I'll have nothing in which to place my hot dog! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
“Any gun they can take off the street helps us,†said Macon Police Chief Mike Burns
So he thinks that getting antique or broken guns that aren't worth anything away from law abiding citizens will help the police. Apparently he hasn't done any research on gun buy back programs. Pretty much all the guns that are turned in come from normal people with cheap guns they don't want anymore. I mean if I had a rusty old gun that wasn't worth anything and I could get a couple hundred dollars for it, I would turn it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
175FO said:
“Any gun they can take off the street helps us,†said Macon Police Chief Mike Burns
So he thinks that getting antique or broken guns that aren't worth anything away from law abiding citizens will help the police. Apparently he hasn't done any research on gun buy back programs. Pretty much all the guns that are turned in come from normal people with cheap guns they don't want anymore. I mean if I had a rusty old gun that wasn't worth anything and I could get a couple hundred dollars for it, I would turn it in.
GCO should collect up all the old broken, rusted, generally worthless guns they can find, and take them all to a "buy back" as a fund raiser.
 

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
Joined
·
28,325 Posts
At least a "gun buy back" gives some motivation for people to think about the issue: Do you have a gun in your house that you don't really want there? Do you have a gun that you think might be stolen? Or was used in a crime?
Are you a parent of a teenager and you know your kid carries a gun and runs with a gang?
Are you a woman whose boyfriend is a convicted felon, but you know he has a gun under the seat of his pickup truck because you've seen it there before?

A well-publicized gun buyback might prompt these people to take that gun (even if it belongs to a family member) and turn it in. THey can use the money or gift certificates they get in exchange to help calm down the angry thug later.

Believe me, there are a LOT of people who have guns in their homes and cars who should not. THey would be safer and less likely to end up dead or in prison if they lived in a gun-free household.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Believe me, there are a LOT of people who have guns in their homes and cars who should not. THey would be safer and less likely to end up dead or in prison if they lived in a gun-free household.
You're right, but in my opinion no matter how much you publicize it these are not the kind of people who will be turning guns in at a buyback program.

By the way I like the idea of collecting up all GPDO and GCO member's old guns that aren't worth anything and turning them in at a buyback program as a fundraiser.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
Reading the full article....

1) They are only taking functional guns. They pointed out that many people turn in non-functional guns and it defeats the point of their buyback program.

2) They are running serial numbers and arresting people who turn in stolen guns or guns known to be used in a crime, so you can't just turn in a gun you think "might be stolen" without risking arrest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
175FO said:
“Any gun they can take off the street helps us,†said Macon Police Chief Mike Burns
So he thinks that getting antique or broken guns that aren't worth anything away from law abiding citizens will help the police. Apparently he hasn't done any research on gun buy back programs. Pretty much all the guns that are turned in come from normal people with cheap guns they don't want anymore. I mean if I had a rusty old gun that wasn't worth anything and I could get a couple hundred dollars for it, I would turn it in.
o-n-l-y-o-n-e-s
Believe me, there are a LOT of people who have guns in their homes and cars who should not. THey would be safer and less likely to end up dead or in prison if they lived in a gun-free household.
Fortunately, it's not our job to look after these "people." ya know?

Maybe next they can have a car buyback program or a refrigerator buyback or a....... oh wait...nevermind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
ookoshi said:
Reading the full article....

1) They are only taking functional guns. They pointed out that many people turn in non-functional guns and it defeats the point of their buyback program.

2) They are running serial numbers and arresting people who turn in stolen guns or guns known to be used in a crime, so you can't just turn in a gun you think "might be stolen" without risking arrest.
Not how read the artical...I read it as if the police would be an arms length away from the collection site to encourage participation. Not that it matters these programs never work anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Typical liberal macon feel good insanity. I don't mind folks getting cash for broken or worthless guns. What bothers me is the destruction of perfectly good guns by the police simply because they exist. I'm tempted to show up and offer $150 for any good AK's, HK's, Sigs or other quailty firearms these people want to be rid of. Have my own $150 buy back AR-15 program. Promise that each and every gun bought will find a fine new home and it won't be put down like the police will do if they buy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
ookoshi said:
2) They are running serial numbers and arresting people who turn in stolen guns or guns known to be used in a crime, so you can't just turn in a gun you think "might be stolen" without risking arrest.
Yet another reason why no criminals will show up to turn in illegally owned weapons. The intention of a buyback program is usually so that people can turn in the guns without facing prosecution.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
175FO said:
ookoshi said:
2) They are running serial numbers and arresting people who turn in stolen guns or guns known to be used in a crime, so you can't just turn in a gun you think "might be stolen" without risking arrest.
Yet another reason why no criminals will show up to turn in illegally owned weapons. The intention of a buyback program is usually so that people can turn in the guns without facing prosecution.
The amnesty you're talking about usually only refers to places where simple possession is criminal and they forgive the possession itself, not amnesty for crimes committed with the weapon.

I don't know of any buyback program that gives you immunity for crimes committed with a weapon. They aren't going to turn a blind eye to a murder to buy back a gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
ookoshi said:
2) They are running serial numbers and arresting people who turn in stolen guns or guns known to be used in a crime, so you can't just turn in a gun you think "might be stolen" without risking arrest.
Why in the world would they bust a person for voluntarily "doing the right thing" by turning in a stolen gun? :roll:

I hope that if a gun does comeback stolen that it is returned to the rightful owner instead of being destroyed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
If "they" never owned the gun how can "they" buy it back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
slammy said:
ookoshi said:
Reading the full article....

1) They are only taking functional guns. They pointed out that many people turn in non-functional guns and it defeats the point of their buyback program.

2) They are running serial numbers and arresting people who turn in stolen guns or guns known to be used in a crime, so you can't just turn in a gun you think "might be stolen" without risking arrest.
Not how read the artical...I read it as if the police would be an arms length away from the collection site to encourage participation. Not that it matters these programs never work anyway.
Watkins said he wants to keep police in the background so people don’t have to turn in guns of unknown provenance to uniformed officers.

“To me, that’s going to scare a lot of people off,†he said.

Instead, volunteers from community groups will actually take the guns, which will then be given to police, Watkins said.

Burns said police would be required to arrest anyone who turned in a gun that had been stolen or used in a crime, and will run the serial numbers of any weapons turned in. But he’s fine with having guns collected by intermediaries, then given to police for destruction.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2010/11/02/1324782 ... z14KTwBKeL
Now I'm really confused.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,133 Posts
Yocain said:
Typical liberal macon feel good insanity. I don't mind folks getting cash for broken or worthless guns. What bothers me is the destruction of perfectly good guns by the police simply because they exist. I'm tempted to show up and offer $150 for any good AK's, HK's, Sigs or other quailty firearms these people want to be rid of. Have my own $150 buy back AR-15 program. Promise that each and every gun bought will find a fine new home and it won't be put down like the police will do if they buy it.
I like your idea!
 

·
Senior Mumbler
Joined
·
6,523 Posts
With the current budget shortfalls and economy in a recession, wouldn't it be more prudent to have a program for people to donate working guns they don't want and then auction them off to raise funds for the government?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,133 Posts
phantoms said:
With the current budget shortfalls and economy in a recession, wouldn't it be more prudent to have a program for people to donate working guns they don't want and then auction them off to raise funds for the government?
Or the city council could purchase them for $100 each and then hold an auction. Or, better yet, use some complicated pricing formula that charges more based on a buyer's income (price should be capped, however, at 200% of the gun's purchase price).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
phantoms said:
With the current budget shortfalls and economy in a recession, wouldn't it be more prudent to have a program for people to donate working guns they don't want and then auction them off to raise funds for the government?
Don't know the statue but a DA investigator told me it was Ga law that the police must destroy.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top