Macon gun buyback plan misfires with council committee

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by smn, Nov 2, 2010.

1. smn

smn Active Member

Macon gun buyback plan misfires with council committee, reloads
    Ken's Stereo Junction has been a topic of discussion before and I won't buy from him.

The article covers both sides of the bun buy back argument.

2. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

I'm not selling back my bun. I'll have nothing in which to place my hot dog! :lol:

3. 175FO

175FO Member

So he thinks that getting antique or broken guns that aren't worth anything away from law abiding citizens will help the police. Apparently he hasn't done any research on gun buy back programs. Pretty much all the guns that are turned in come from normal people with cheap guns they don't want anymore. I mean if I had a rusty old gun that wasn't worth anything and I could get a couple hundred dollars for it, I would turn it in.

4. fausty

fausty Member

GCO should collect up all the old broken, rusted, generally worthless guns they can find, and take them all to a "buy back" as a fund raiser.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

At least a "gun buy back" gives some motivation for people to think about the issue: Do you have a gun in your house that you don't really want there? Do you have a gun that you think might be stolen? Or was used in a crime?
    Are you a parent of a teenager and you know your kid carries a gun and runs with a gang?
    Are you a woman whose boyfriend is a convicted felon, but you know he has a gun under the seat of his pickup truck because you've seen it there before?

A well-publicized gun buyback might prompt these people to take that gun (even if it belongs to a family member) and turn it in. THey can use the money or gift certificates they get in exchange to help calm down the angry thug later.

Believe me, there are a LOT of people who have guns in their homes and cars who should not. THey would be safer and less likely to end up dead or in prison if they lived in a gun-free household.

6. 175FO

175FO Member

You're right, but in my opinion no matter how much you publicize it these are not the kind of people who will be turning guns in at a buyback program.

By the way I like the idea of collecting up all GPDO and GCO member's old guns that aren't worth anything and turning them in at a buyback program as a fundraiser.

7. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Reading the full article....

1) They are only taking functional guns. They pointed out that many people turn in non-functional guns and it defeats the point of their buyback program.

2) They are running serial numbers and arresting people who turn in stolen guns or guns known to be used in a crime, so you can't just turn in a gun you think "might be stolen" without risking arrest.

8. Owl

Owl New Member

o-n-l-y-o-n-e-s
    Fortunately, it's not our job to look after these "people." ya know?

Maybe next they can have a car buyback program or a refrigerator buyback or a....... oh wait...nevermind.

9. slammy

slammy New Member

Not how read the artical...I read it as if the police would be an arms length away from the collection site to encourage participation. Not that it matters these programs never work anyway.

10. Yocain

Yocain New Member

Typical liberal macon feel good insanity. I don't mind folks getting cash for broken or worthless guns. What bothers me is the destruction of perfectly good guns by the police simply because they exist. I'm tempted to show up and offer $150 for any good AK's, HK's, Sigs or other quailty firearms these people want to be rid of. Have my own $150 buy back AR-15 program. Promise that each and every gun bought will find a fine new home and it won't be put down like the police will do if they buy it.

11. 175FO

175FO Member

Yet another reason why no criminals will show up to turn in illegally owned weapons. The intention of a buyback program is usually so that people can turn in the guns without facing prosecution.

12. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

The amnesty you're talking about usually only refers to places where simple possession is criminal and they forgive the possession itself, not amnesty for crimes committed with the weapon.

I don't know of any buyback program that gives you immunity for crimes committed with a weapon. They aren't going to turn a blind eye to a murder to buy back a gun.

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Why in the world would they bust a person for voluntarily "doing the right thing" by turning in a stolen gun? :roll:

I hope that if a gun does comeback stolen that it is returned to the rightful owner instead of being destroyed.

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If "they" never owned the gun how can "they" buy it back?

15. slammy

slammy New Member

Now I'm really confused.

16. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

The same way they infringe upon "shall not be infringed". :screwy:

17. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I like your idea!

18. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

With the current budget shortfalls and economy in a recession, wouldn't it be more prudent to have a program for people to donate working guns they don't want and then auction them off to raise funds for the government?

19. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Or the city council could purchase them for $100 each and then hold an auction. Or, better yet, use some complicated pricing formula that charges more based on a buyer's income (price should be capped, however, at 200% of the gun's purchase price).

20. slammy

slammy New Member

Don't know the statue but a DA investigator told me it was Ga law that the police must destroy.